Author Topic: trane thermostat work around to 55f minimum heat setting  (Read 11870 times)

Offline dgmanny

trane thermostat work around to 55f minimum heat setting
« on: February 09, 2011, 05:45:04 pm »
Hi. Does anyone know if it possible to get my trane zwave thermostat to set below 55f. I used to set my old thermostat at 50f. Thanks

Offline reiserx

Re: trane thermostat work around to 55f minimum heat setting
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 06:38:55 pm »
Go into settings for the thermostat from your Vera UI and click the advanced tab. scroll down to the first CurrentSetpoint and change it to what you want. It may take a bit to update it once you hit save.

Offline Don Diego

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 05:50:18 am »
Hi --

I have been also trying to set the Trane  Model TZEMT400AB32MAA thermostat to 50 degrees. However, this is not easy. The normal range for heat setting on the thermostat is 55-90 degrees.

However, there is the ability to calibrate the thermostat's internal sensor +-7 degrees (see page 12 , Users Manual http://part2.schlage.com/docs/Thermostat_UG_ENG-c.pdf).  This would allow you to set the sensor 5 degrees warmer that it really is. Therefore a reported setting of 55 would really be 50 degrees.

I know this is somewhat convoluted but I couldn't find any other alternative.
Vera 3 (@1.5.622) (3); Vera Plus (2);
Trane/Schlage TStats (1); Schlage Deadbolt (2); Kwikset Lock (3);  GE 45602 Dimmer (14); GE 45603 Dimmer (17); HSM-100 (16); Everspring Siren (8), Everspring Temp/Humidity (4); HSM 200 (1)

Offline raskell

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 08:56:53 am »
I can confirm that using the  calibration offset as suggested does work and will allow you to get down to controlling at 48F.  Please note that the device will still be reading 55F, but your environment will independently measure 48F if you use the full 7F offset in the calibration.
Vera2, UI4, Trane/Schlage TStats(6), Schlage LeverLock, GE 3-wayswitches, WD HA14 3-way dimmers, Intermatic Outdoor Module, Hawking door/window sensor(s), VeraLite UI5, Everspring SM-103

Offline dgmanny

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 09:17:58 am »
thanks. if you set the offset to -5, will the temp still vary from 50 to 55?

Offline dgmanny

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 09:46:59 am »
never mind.  I re-read the response and get it now.  Make the thermostat think it is 55F even though it is 50F.

Thanks, Dave

Offline dgmanny

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 09:52:02 am »
Last question, is it possible to change the calibration offset remotely? Thanks again

Offline ASIHome

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 10:07:24 am »
You can read the Calibration Offset setting via Z-Wave but not set it.

Offline mtf

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 10:22:26 am »
It is extremely frustrating that you can't change the calibration remotely.  Our guests often fiddle and recalibrate and it is the one important setting, plainly in sight on the user menu that you can't change back to the default remotely.  Every time it happens I have to ask somebody to go in and correct it.

We definitely need new firmware for these thermostats so that we can recalibrate remotely.  I don't see any good reason why this is a view only option.

Offline JOD

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 11:01:12 am »
There was a recent addition to the Mios Marketplace of plugin #589 'Thermostat Min Max" that may help with some of the posts in this thread and others.

"Prevents a thermostat set point from being set outside a given range. After installing the plugin set the range in the thermostat's advanced tab in HeatMax, HeatMin, CoolMax, CoolMin"

JOD.
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

Offline mtf

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 12:08:17 pm »
I think there is a genuine market for a plugin that watches the thermostat and spots an AC system that is running for long periods without any impact and advises the home owner.

I have incorporated this sort of functionality into my own rather long script that does pretty much everything and it has been very useful a couple of times already.  Admittedly I don't know if a problem arises because guests have just left the windows open, but to date it has uncovered a situation where an AC unit was low on freon (helping to prevent a compressor burnout) and just a couple of days ago it revealed a fault on another AC unit where it had a small freon leak and a TXV needed replacing.

Interestingly the case over the past couple of days hadn't even been detected by the guests staying in the property who thought the AC was functioning just fine, but I knew that during the peak of the day the AC was running continuously for 75 minutes and going nowhere, which makes little sense.  Ultimately if you can spot these problems early you save yourself a big electricity bill and you avoid serious damage to other components that results in a big repair bill and loss of service for your guests.

Offline zmistro

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 10:00:19 pm »
Hi --

I have been also trying to set the Trane  Model TZEMT400AB32MAA thermostat to 50 degrees. However, this is not easy. The normal range for heat setting on the thermostat is 55-90 degrees.

However, there is the ability to calibrate the thermostat's internal sensor +-7 degrees (see page 12 , Users Manual http://part2.schlage.com/docs/Thermostat_UG_ENG-c.pdf).  This would allow you to set the sensor 5 degrees warmer that it really is. Therefore a reported setting of 55 would really be 50 degrees.

I know this is somewhat convoluted but I couldn't find any other alternative.

I would use a different Zwave thermostat.

Offline ballroller

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 10:01:16 pm »
On the same note-is there a way to lock the thermostat from manual changes?

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 10:16:43 am »
Yes, there is (and called Display Lock). However, it is not PIN code protected, or such.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline ballroller

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 10:22:35 am »
In other words, if someone takes the time to play with it they can make the adjustments without being able to lock them out?

Thanks.

Yes, there is (and called Display Lock). However, it is not PIN code protected, or such.