We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Zwave Dimmers concerning power outage  (Read 7872 times)

Offline TimAlls

Zwave Dimmers concerning power outage
« on: February 11, 2011, 01:25:14 pm »
We use Zwave dimmers on high end yachts that encounter power outages frequently. The GE dimmer defaults to the off position after an outage.....I need one that goes back to where it was so that you are not left in the dark......any one know of a different brand that can do that?
Tim Alls
Allseas Yachts
AllSeasYachts.com

Offline TimAlls

Re: Zwave Dimmers concerning power outage
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 03:04:27 pm »
Just in from Leviton tech support....Leviton is the answer.....answered my own blog!

Offline mitch672

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 04:03:24 pm »
Thats interesting you say the GE's dimmers default to off... I was doing some work, and had all of the lights on, shutoff the breaker, and when I put it back on, the "ARC fault" breaker tripped because all of the switches defaulted to ON.  I had to go around and open the "air gap" on the siwtches, to get the breaker to stay on without faulting.  So I think you might have that wrong..

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 05:09:08 pm »
That is strange.....mine default to off and it is in GE's documentation as well. The bottom line is that the lights need to remember where they were at and return to their last state which according to Leviton, is what their dimmers do.
Regards
Tim

Offline mitch672

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 05:12:30 pm »
That is strange.....mine default to off and it is in GE's documentation as well. The bottom line is that the lights need to remember where they were at and return to their last state which according to Leviton, is what their dimmers do.
Regards
Tim

Give it a try, you don't even have to shuttoff a breaker.  Turn a switch on, then pull the "air gap" switch on the bottom left (which removes AC power from the switch).  wait a few minutes...  push the air gap back in, see if the light comes back on or stays off.

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 05:19:56 pm »
Funny! Of course I have tryed....many times...and......I always end up in a dark room!
Maybe you are using a different model, these are brand new GE 600 watt dimmers.
Regards
Tim Alls
AllSeas Yachts

Offline mitch672

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 05:37:43 pm »
I am using the (now) $14.97 Radio Shack specials...  GE Model:

these are the ones I have tested:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3882042

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 10:58:07 pm »
Not sure about the GE switches, but Leviton switches will default to the last current state it was in. So if my lights were on and a power outage took place, the lights would turn back on when power is restored. I thought GE switches would be the same, but I guess this is not the case.

- Garrett

Offline mitch672

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 12:17:17 am »
Not sure about the GE switches, but Leviton switches will default to the last current state it was in. So if my lights were on and a power outage took place, the lights would turn back on when power is restored. I thought GE switches would be the same, but I guess this is not the case.

- Garrett

Its the case for the GE's above, I've tried them...  they power back on in the same state as when the power was cut to them. 

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 08:54:18 am »
I thought the GE's did the same. I remember reading the manual for the GE dimmers that my father installed in his house a few weeks ago. I wonder why the original poster is having issues with his not keeping the correct state when a power failure occurs.

- Garrett

- Garrett

Its the case for the GE's above, I've tried them...  they power back on in the same state as when the power was cut to them. 

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 07:39:09 pm »
There must be new versions that differ from old versions....as I mentioned even the documentation that came with these brand new GE Dimmers states that they will default to an off position after a power outage. I am going to give the Leviton a try, they should default back to there original position according to Leviton and other user blogs.
This is a simple issue and you can trust me when I say this is the way the new GE dimmers from SmartHomeUSA work!
Tim

Offline mikemsd

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 10:24:11 am »
I have 9x 45606 Dimmers and 1x 45613 3-Way Dimmer. I decided to run a test on them to see what would happen for me during a power loss. All of these have been purchased over the course of the last year, so they should be slightly varied. I ran an all lights off scene, and cycled the breakers. All the lights were off after the cycle. Next I ran the all lights on scene and cycled the breaker. All of my 45606's were off after the cycle. Interestingly though, my 45613 came back on to it's last setting. Without a bigger sample set, it would be hard to tell, but it looks like maybe the 3-way's return to their last setting.
Vera2 (UI4 1.5.408), 2x Trane Thermostats, 9x GE 45606 Dimmers, 1x GE 45613 3-Way Dimmer kit, 1x Intermatic HA04 Outdoor Module, 1x Intermatic HA09 Remote.

Offline mitch672

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 11:03:43 am »
I have 9x 45606 Dimmers and 1x 45613 3-Way Dimmer. I decided to run a test on them to see what would happen for me during a power loss. All of these have been purchased over the course of the last year, so they should be slightly varied. I ran an all lights off scene, and cycled the breakers. All the lights were off after the cycle. Next I ran the all lights on scene and cycled the breaker. All of my 45606's were off after the cycle. Interestingly though, my 45613 came back on to it's last setting. Without a bigger sample set, it would be hard to tell, but it looks like maybe the 3-way's return to their last setting.

I agree, ALL of my dimmers are 45613's from Radio Shack for between $15-$20, and they ALL come back in the "last state" after a loss of power.  Mine are all recent, but I'm sure the Radio Shack inventory is quite old/been around for a while.

Most of them are not used for 3-way, but I like them because they have that capability, and you get an extra "AUX" switch, which works just fine with the GE on/off versions as well (45609's), if you have some of those for 3 way (I do, for some switched outlets..)

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 08:10:51 pm »
Just removed the GE dimmers and put in 1000W Leviton and found the results interesting.
Leviton Dimmers do remember where they are at and return to last value.
Leviton Dimmers correct problem using the 4 scene controller.
The bottom line is that ZWave compatabily is not as universal as we would all like. Now that I am using all Leviton my scene controllers and Zone controllers all work flawless. In addition I can set my scenes by simply pressing a scene button for 5 seconds, adjust the lights locally, and press again. All working great now.....just more money!
Tim Alls
AllSeas Yachts