Author Topic: I Guess new users aren't welcome?  (Read 1631 times)

Offline jeubanks

I Guess new users aren't welcome?
« on: February 09, 2018, 08:50:04 am »
So I posted last night with an intro and some very valid questions.  My post went into a "waiting for approval".  I guess that's a Vera thing to review and approve posts, ensure censorship or something? 

Anyways, I come back today (I saw my post last night).  I come back today and it's gone.  Nowhere to be found.  Can't even search for it.  Is that standard practice here?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:33:52 pm by Sorin M. »

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
Re: I Guess new users aren't welcome?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 03:31:37 pm »
Hello, jeubanks

Your topic was unfortunately filtered by mistake  :-\ We don't censorship here at Vera, but we do mistakes every now and then. You will see every kind of feedback here on the forum, ranging from amazingly positive experience to some not so great ones. Every feedback is good feedback for us as it's foundation for better future experiences.

I'm sorry for this first experience but hopefully, you will give us a chance to turn things around into a better experience.
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline HSD99

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 05:20:19 pm »
Hi Jeubanks,

Newbies get to go through the "prove I'm not a robot or spammer" for your first few posts. Once the system understands that you are you, your posts won't go to moderation and you won't have to answer the questions. It's worth the wait---this forum is a tremendous resource for Vera users. Beside the Vera folks who participate here, you'll find an amazing level of user expertise that is willingly shared. 

Offline jeubanks

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 11:19:56 pm »
Later on in the day I got an email explaining that it was filtered on mistake.  My original questions were put back.  I haven't checked on replies.  Which I need to do.  I was happy to hear back from the admin's and to know it was just a mistake.

So far so good.  I just finished pairing several more devices.  I have some more questions regarding some other devices that should be compatible.  But I'll put that in it's own message.

Offline Tillsy

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 11:51:59 pm »
Just a heads up I have found the initial experience here horrendous as well.

First when I was simply browsing the forum - when trying to do searches it was asking questions that I couldn't answer, so I simply could not do the searches.

Then joining up it failed several times.

Then the activation e-mail - it never came.  It wasn't in spam it simply never came.  I gave it a fair chunk of time and then re-requested.  Still nothing so later I re-requested again.  And again.  And again.  I gave up last night and checked this morning - still not a single email.  So I re-requested the activation email yet again... it arrived instantly.

So then I am finally in and make a post - once again all sorts of questions to make the post, and then it tells me it needs moderation.  Ugh, okay no worries.  Hour later, nothing.  Another hour later nothing.  Many hours later still nothing.

As a newbie this has been an extremely discouraging experience.  I only persevered because I was hoping this community could help me with a question I had.

Now to make this post I am about to go through the million verification questions again, and then go into moderation queue even though my last one this morning isn't even up yet.  Frustrating - anyways just thought I'd relay the experience.

Not unlike the Vera itself - brand new out of the box, wants to do firmware update, never recovered.  Factory reset and tried again, same.  And same.  And same.  Eventually upon next reset it did recognise the update, even though I had to reset it to get going again.  Likewise adding devices - many of them needed pairing and unpairing repeatedly before they worked correctly.  Even that is inconsistent - unpairing sometimes works sometimes doesn't.  Simply deleting the devices usually fails, and fails, and fails, but then the fourth or fifth time it goes into a queue and eventually gets deleted.  Adding variables to a device and checking back on them finds them gone, sometimes need setting again and sometimes check back later and now they are there.  Hasn't been particularly smooth - works well when working but it definitely acts like a product that is bleeding edge and needs many bug fixes, not something that has been out a few years and received countless patches.

Anyways all good just frustrated.

Offline Tillsy

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 12:49:56 am »
And to make matters worse, none of my posts for the past two days have been approved yet - so they are all still invisible.

This has meant that in a few cases threads have continued with reply after reply, and when mine eventually appear I can already see they are a long way up the threads and will go unnoticed.

What a mess... you'd think that having to get the activation e-mail sent 9 times, answering a heap of weird questions to register, having to answer even more weird questions for each post (some of them in horrendous English), plus having to do a verification code for each of those too would surely be sufficient to prove I'm a person...

As I said, this forum experience is as bad as the initial experience trying to get the Vera itself working correctly...

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 07:01:55 am »
@Tillsy ,let me know if I've missed anything from you. Approval process over the weekend is handled on Monday's. And it's only for the first post.
I'm sorry for this but this is the only way spam armies can be kept away with the current platform.

As HSD99 says :

Hi Jeubanks,
It's worth the wait---this forum is a tremendous resource for Vera users. Beside the Vera folks who participate here, you'll find an amazing level of user expertise that is willingly shared. 

Also, our Customer Care team is at your service, for the lifetime of your controller, even during the weekends. Details in my signature
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

Offline jeubanks

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 11:58:01 am »
I have to reiterate my initial statements.  The forum is in desperate need of an upgrade.... Time to tear down and rebuild and keep this system up for an archive only.

Other than that I've so far not had a horrible experience with Vera or with support.  I've gotten replies from support.  Updates periodically.  I do get responses here on the forum. 

I'm finding the Vera system to be very powerful (which I like), however not user friendly or as friendly as some may expect.  Takes getting used to and learning the system, as with all things.

Offline lisam77

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 12:25:17 am »
I'm going to post a reply here even though it's a few months old... I'm having such a PITA time getting things set up and trying to post on the forum that I did a google search for 'vera forum approval' - and here I am.

My experience is fast going the way Tillsy described.  Multiple attempts to get my Vera Plus going in the first place, now struggling to get my first device fully connected (Netatmo weather station).  I've already deleted my first post before it was approved (about 20 hours after posting it) having somehow got the control unit going, and another post is now awaiting approval to get help with the weather station.

Having just read approvals aren't made over the weekend, because I'm in New Zealand I'm going to have to wait nearly another whole day for my posts to be approved (Monday morning in Europe is Monday night here and it's currently Sunday afternoon).

Fingers crossed I'll get things going soon and be able to look back at this and laugh!

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 06:03:06 am »
Hello there Lisam77,

Hope everything is alright and if you need assistance over the weekend don't hesitate to reach our Customer Care Dept. as well. It's free to contact them and they will help you for the lifetime of your controller. Contact details are in my signature.

Offline lisam77

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 11:39:01 pm »
Thanks Sorin - I managed to get things going.  I still don't know how or why the unit started working (wait longer?) but getting the weather station connected was just a matter of battling the confusion in the end.  It was frustrating knowing I could probably get the help I needed right here as it seems to be an active forum of knowledgeable people, but not knowing posts had to be moderated, and then realising it as going to be 3 days by the time I would see it come up (wasn't until Tuesday because it was overnight Monday my time).  I like to use forums over customer centres for the learning value as well.

I noted the pop up when I was posting - it could be handy to add in that the times/days (and timezone) that moderatation takes place.  I probably would have done things differently had I known.

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 04:16:58 am »
I'm glad to hear you're back on track lisam.

Fortunately, only the first post is moderated. This stops a lot of spam armies until we will be upgrading to a modern platform which is work in progress.

Offline emeed

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 05:17:50 pm »
Sorin, can you find my thread also?
I started one last week, was waiting for approval and now it doesn't exist anymore.

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 05:03:14 am »
Hello, emeed,

I'm sorry for that. Your post is now approved and can be seen here: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,97255.0.html

Offline curtm

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 05:07:15 pm »
I've had nothing but positive results from using this forum. I'd argue against changing anything on this site because I've been on other forums where they archived and it made things harder to find.  Sometimes the best nuggets of info are YEARS old.

I appreciate everything the admins and especially the users on here have helped me with.  Sometimes its not the answer I wanted, but it was the right one.