Author Topic: Easier way to set scheduled time?  (Read 326 times)

Offline Bert003

Easier way to set scheduled time?
« on: February 10, 2018, 04:58:30 am »
I like to start a wake-up scene each day, the time differs and is set each day.
Now I used to do this with Tasker for Android with Imperihome plugin. Tasker sends a start command at a certain time and the scene is started.
However, this is not 100% reliable. Sometimes due i.e. bad WiFi the command will not reach the Vera and the scene isn't started.

Another way is use the Vera app and manually adjust the time each day. But this is quite some tapping to only set time.

Is it possible to do this with sending some kind of command to my Veraplus? If so, I'm sure Tasker handle this. The advantage is that that the time would be set in the Vera and so, more reliable.

Offline kigmatzomat

Re: Easier way to set scheduled time?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 12:07:37 pm »
Is it that the scene needs to start at different times during the week or that every day it will be a different time following no pattern?

Because the first can be handled by using PLEG to trigger the scene with a condition filled with OR statements.

The second will require you to manually set something somewhere. How does Tasker know when to kick off the scene?

Offline Bert003

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 02:00:18 pm »
Before I go to sleep I set the 'alarm' 8 hours later. In Tasker I created a simple calculator-style panel which sets a time variable. So I put in i.e.  0-8-4-5-SET and then the radio/lightfade/espressomachine etc. are turned on at 08:45. But it can be another time every day. No fixed times at fixed days.

So could edit a Vera scene and change the time (and date), but I hoped I could do the editing from a command window and just replace the time in this Vera scene.

I could create the same scene in the Vera multiple times with different times, in that case I have to activate 1 of them and deactivate the others. But that should also be done with a commnd from Tasker.

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 04:47:43 pm »
Look into the AutoVera app, which allows Tasker to talk to vera directly instead of via Imperihome.
And fyi, you can always set up Tasker to run the scene trigger commands more than once, with a delay in between, to make sure it sticks. There's no harm in turning something on twice.

There is an old timer app available in the app store you could try. I don't know what the interface looks like.

There are also Google calendar apps, that let you use Google calendar appointments as a trigger for scenes.

I would say editing a pleg trigger is easier than a scene schedule, but it's still a multistep process.

If it's always 8hrs later (which I doubt), you can install one of the virtual switches and have Pleg trigger your scene 8hrs after the button is pressed.  You can surface that "go to sleep" switch in your favorite UI and then it's one click for an 8hr event timer.

Offline Bert003

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 05:15:21 pm »
Thanks for all tips.

Actually I have Autovera but don't use it, I almost forgot it. I doubt if a trigger through Autovera is more reliable than with Imperihome. When wi-fi fails no third party app will start anything I think.

I do have multiple triggers, wi-fi repair, a trigger through mobile data in my Tasker task to make sure everything works well.

But now I have a new Veraplus and now use UI7 and have the Vera app which can create and edit scenes. So I got the idea to set the timer directly into the Vera for even more reliability. And I thought it might be possible to shoot a complete scene into the Vera with an API or something.

But there is much to investigate yet, including learning to use PLEG.

And I just discovered that my Philips Hue scene isn't started at all by my Vera at all, maybe something wrong with the Hue 2 Vera app.

Lots of work to do and to learn...