Author Topic: Kwikset 910 not indicating locked  (Read 174 times)

Offline DDL

Kwikset 910 not indicating locked
« on: February 10, 2018, 09:52:07 am »
I am using a Kwikset 910 with a Vera Lite on a set of French doors. The deadbolt engages in a hole in the opposing door instead of in the jamb like a traditional door.

If I extend the deadbolt to the locked position with the door open it will report as locked, but with the door closed, the bolt doesn't extend fully so the lock reports as unlocked. Because of the construction of the door I'm afraid to try to make the bolt hole deeper. It seems to lack about 1/4" to allow the bolt to fully extend.

I emailed Kwikset support but haven't gotten a response yet.

Are there any device settings in the Vera that I can change to "teach" the lock when it is fully closed?

Offline Jamr

• 007 Systems
Re: Kwikset 910 not indicating locked
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 12:57:44 pm »
No setting in Vera. The lock reports locked or unlock.
As far as I know, your only option is to carefully chisel the hole deeper so the lock can extend fully and report locked.

Offline tomtcom

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 08:06:49 pm »
Agree with Jamr, even their directions for this lock (I have one) indicate you must have enough depth for the lock to fully extend to report correctly. You cannot shorten this.

Offline Jamr

• 007 Systems
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 11:35:16 pm »
You might be able to cut the lock rod shorter. Not sure I would try this as I am sure this will kill your warranty.

Offline cybrmage

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 12:43:34 am »
All kwikset deadbolts (except the 663 series) use the same latch mechanisms, and they are all designed for 1" of bolt travel.

You can get around this limitation by, as mentioned, shortening the bolt on your existing latch mechanism.

OR  - IF your deadbolt uses a 2-3/4" backset - you can obtain an adjustable drive-in latch mechanism or a convertable latch mechanism with a removable faceplate (either are usually available and stocked at most reputable hardware stores - $8 to $10 USD - Some variations of the 910 lockset were shipped with a latch with a removable faceplate).

The drive-in latch (or the convertable latch with the faceplate removed) can be recessed into the doorframe. Set the latch length to 2-3/8" and recess the bolt mechanism 3/8" into the doorframe, to obtain an effective bolt travel of 5/8". If a faceplate is desired, once the latch is recessed, the removable faceplate can be installed over the recessed latch.