We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: GE / Jasco 3-Way Switch 45613 working for you?  (Read 10639 times)

Offline JamesM

Re: GE / Jasco 3-Way Switch 45613 working for you?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 10:01:57 pm »
I can confirm that both switches look the same on top and bottom.

For testing the line/load side is there a specific model you would recommend?
Vera2- UI4 1.1.1350 / 3.20 | SQ Blaster | 5 ICS Android Tablets - AutHomation | 28x GE 45606 switches  | 2x LFM-20 (Fireplace;Garage Door) | 1x hardwired Everspring SM103-1 |3 NorthQ, 1 Foscam IP cameras | Kwikset Locks | ..Not enough time to program  :'(

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 10:14:53 pm »
I can confirm that both switches look the same on top and bottom.
I'm afraid this won't work then. The primary switch needs 4 wires (line, load, signal, neutral) + ground. You only have 3 wires + ground in each box.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline JamesM

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 11:08:22 pm »
why is my setup to unique?
Vera2- UI4 1.1.1350 / 3.20 | SQ Blaster | 5 ICS Android Tablets - AutHomation | 28x GE 45606 switches  | 2x LFM-20 (Fireplace;Garage Door) | 1x hardwired Everspring SM103-1 |3 NorthQ, 1 Foscam IP cameras | Kwikset Locks | ..Not enough time to program  :'(

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 12:23:12 am »
why is my setup to unique?
You have power coming in where your light is. Probably most of the time it comes in on a switch.

Offline FlyBoyBob

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 08:34:28 am »
My post in the topic "GE Z-Wave® Dimmer Switch (3-Way Kit)" with an educated "guess" as to exactly how these devices work electrically might be of help here...

Regards

Offline JamesM

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 11:04:02 pm »
FlyBoyBob I have read through all 10 pages and unfortunately it has left me feeling even more confused. It amazes me how many ways there are to wire a switch.

I did some additional digging tonight and found that if I hook the Black = Black ; White = White ; and Green = Copper I get a nice blue light on the main unit (but only when the AUX is not plugged in at the other side). I also decided to tear down my fixture to get a better look at the wiring. Please see below.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 07:16:18 am »
[...]
I did some additional digging tonight and found that if I hook the Black = Black ; White = White ; and Green = Copper I get a nice blue light on the main unit (but only when the AUX is not plugged in at the other side). I also decided to tear down my fixture to get a better look at the wiring. Please see below.
What are the blue boxes / is this a different location from before?

Offline JamesM

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 08:36:05 am »
It is. Though all of the switches except one seem to be wired the same way. This is the only switch that I could easily disassemble. 

Offline JamesM

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 11:08:47 am »
oTi@ is there a switch you would recommend that would work better for my type of wiring? I live in a townhouse so nearly half my lights are on this 3-way system.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:11:13 am by JamesM »

Offline FlyBoyBob

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 01:24:08 pm »
FlyBoyBob I have read through all 10 pages and unfortunately it has left me feeling even more confused. It amazes me how many ways there are to wire a switch.

Luckily for you, from your ceiling fixture picture - power is in your main box and not the ceiling.

You say you have connected White(neutral) and Black(hot) and grounds to your switch - good. Now you need to connect what was the "common" on the 3-way switch you removed from that main box to the blue wire on the GE switch. If it helps = your ceiling fixture only has white and black going to it (ignoring grounds/green for now) - the white is in the bundle of whites in your main box and the black should be loose.

Connect that, test that the main GE switch works, then connect the aux DIRECTLY to the main switch = traveller to traveller, white/red to the black you already tied to the main switch. See that both switches work as they should. Then find 2 wires that go to your aux switch box and simply extend the aux connections, just as they are working, down to the aux box.

If you get gremlins then join the club! Try using the white at the main box for the white/red, try switching wires for the traveller. Be VERY careful though - 120vac bites!

Hope that helps,
bob

Offline JamesM

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 08:02:43 pm »
I used a volt meter to test for the line and found it on the side that did not have any extra wiring capped off. I checked my other 3-way lights and all were the same way. Because I was unable to use the Neutral without serious work and have since given up.

I'll just order some normal 3-way switches from Leviton and save myself future aggravation.

Question, I have seen on various post of people using the 3-way switch as a 2-way. Which 2 wires do you use? I tried the Black and White (get the blue light) but it does not seem to control the on/off function.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 10:12:17 pm »
Question, I have seen on various post of people using the 3-way switch as a 2-way. Which 2 wires do you use? I tried the Black and White (get the blue light) but it does not seem to control the on/off function.
You provided power (black and white) to the switch, and it is therefore operational, but you didn't connect the load (blue), so there isn't anything to turn on/off.

You simply do not connect the aux, i.e. cap off the yellow on the primary. Or, with 2-wires as you mentioned, it sounds like it will also work with just line (black) and load (blue).

Offline FlyBoyBob

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 12:31:15 pm »
An update now that I have a 45613 3-way pair of switches working, in an old house with no ground wire:

I bought a new in-the-box 45613 and connected the new Aux switch to the old Main - it did not work. During my testing of multiple combinations of wiring I had connected the traveller on the Main switch to neutral(white) which a tag on the traveller says NEVER DO!! It was correct - I transformed my 3-way Main switch into a 2-way which it now does very well. My bad.

The new Main switch worked fine connected directly to the new or old Aux switch. I then placed the new Aux switch in its proper place at the bottom of the stairs and it works fine, the old Aux switch is now in a drawer as a spare.

A couple of points I hope will help:

1. My old house (1910, wired in the 20's I think) fortunately had a separate single wire as a traveller in the original wiring, so I avoided interference and wire length issues.

2. I used neutral(white) to the Aux switch so even though there is no ground in my house the Aux switch is still safe. Note that I did not connect the Aux ground wire to anything

3. If your wiring takes hot(black) in the same wire as the neutral and traveller to the Aux - DISCONNECT the hot at the main, otherwise that unterminated hot will be an antenna inducing signal into the traveller.

4. Ignore previous posts that avoid putting these switches into older homes, the ground only matters at the Main and ONLY if your wiring is so bad as to somehow touch the hot to the case of the switch or to a metal box. Ground does NOT participate in any way in the operation of these switches.

5. There is now a 45614 3-way switch-set that claims to dim CFLs and LEDs, where the 45613 has always said "incandescent only". It would be interesting to hear from someone who has bought the newer switch set regarding CFL dimming and these other problems possibly being resolved...

Hope this helps someone...
bob