Author Topic: Phone Call unlock for Airbnb apartments  (Read 1714 times)

Offline strojki

Phone Call unlock for Airbnb apartments
« on: February 12, 2018, 04:34:46 pm »
Hi,

I am trying to develop very simple app for fleet of Airbnb apartments. I want to create simple to use auto apartment check in for any user with any kind of phone (it does not need to be a smartphone).

Idea is to have reserved SIP account online, that will trigger a web service on a ring on a specific number for specific apartment. It is pretty much easy when I set up port forwarding on a router (besides security issue), but I want to avoid that.

Is it possible to install, for example OVPN client on Vera, so I can call web service from OVPN server?

Does anyone have such experiences? Idea is to unlock an apartment on a regular phone call?

Is there any other, smarter solution for that? It needs to be scalable and very easy to maintain because apartments are in different cities, and it would require minimal technical skills for installation.

Any ideas?

Offline wilme2

Re: Phone Call unlock for Airbnb apartments
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 05:05:02 pm »
Is it possible to install, for example OVPN client on Vera, so I can call web service from OVPN server?
There is an OVPN client for OpenWRT, so it should be possible.

Idea is to have reserved SIP account online, that will trigger a web service on a ring on a specific number for specific apartment. It is pretty much easy when I set up port forwarding on a router (besides security issue), but I want to avoid that.

I am worried about accidental unlocks.  Maybe ring to a specific number FROM a specific number?
Long Live UI5!  (OK finally made the switch to UI7 in January 2018, and am pretty happy....)

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 01:55:54 pm »
I unlock my home regularly while I am gone.
In fact I just ask Vera Concierge on my mobile to do that.
You just need a lock connected to Vera ... and use the Remote access servers ...
You can do this from Vera's Mobile app (or any of a number of other apps, including Vera Concierge).

Offline strojki

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 10:19:12 am »
@wilme2 , thank you foru your suggestions. My idea was pretty much similar, even to pay attention to the security.

My only problem is how to install ovpn to Vera, since I saw no tutorials.

@RichardTSchaefer , I am affraid that Vera Concierge would not help me with scalability... but, thanks anyway...

Offline curtm

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 12:53:47 pm »
You can create an applet on IFTTT where you?d call a phone number, leave any voicemail, and it makes a url call/web request.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk