Author Topic: Decora transmit-only in-wall switch?  (Read 701 times)

Offline JetForMe

Decora transmit-only in-wall switch?
« on: February 14, 2018, 05:48:17 pm »
I'm wiring up a new office, and I want to put a Decora-style Z-wave transmitter switch to serve as a remote for an existing Z-wave switch. I can run power to the location, but I don't want to run multiway traveler wires. I can't find a switch that isn't just a radioless 3-way remote, and I can't find a switch that doesn't also switch loads (I was hoping not to pay for that extra hardware that would go unused in this case).

Have I just not come across the right product yet?

Thanks!

Offline shallowearth

Re: Decora transmit-only in-wall switch?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 01:59:51 am »
The Cooper Aux Switch for their three way switch does what you want.  Does not control a load but uses direct association to control another switch, can be paired with most other z-wave switches.  They also make a battery version you can stick on the wall without power.

Offline JetForMe

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 02:02:54 am »
Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. Too bad they had to go and depart so drastically from the standard Decora design.

Offline JohnRob

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 11:52:10 am »
I'm thinking while writing this so I'm not 100% sure, but....

Wouldn't a "normal" Z-Wave switch work?  Vera can sense the switch "position" or at least a change.

Offline JetForMe

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 01:40:11 pm »
I'm thinking while writing this so I'm not 100% sure, but....

Wouldn't a "normal" Z-Wave switch work?  Vera can sense the switch "position" or at least a change.

Yes, I think it would. My hope was that by avoiding  the load-switching electronics, the switch would be cheaper. That doesn?t seem to be the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline boykster

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 03:55:19 pm »
I use a few of these around the house

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EAY3K5Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

work great - can either be used to trigger a scene or you can use the group association settings to control other devices directly (that's what I do).

Offline JetForMe

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 04:27:03 pm »
Yeah! That should work!

Offline cc4005

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 08:58:07 am »
I use a few of these around the house

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EAY3K5Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

work great - can either be used to trigger a scene or you can use the group association settings to control other devices directly (that's what I do).

There's an interesting review on this product on amazon. Can you say definitively the following information is false, based on your actual usage?

ByKelly From Seattleon September 7, 2016
Verified Purchase
UPDATE!
This still doesn't work. It will do associations, but it will not act as a scene controller. So if you only need to associate this with one light (stair application), you're OK. IF you wish to trigger as scene on a Vera Controller, you can't. From Vera support:
Hello Kelly,

We did some research from the last time we have discussed yesterday. We also checked this the the manufacturer directly.

What you want to achieve is not possible. and this is not a Vera software issue. This is also mentioned on the product page of the manufacturer : The WT00Z-1 Wall Mount Accessory Dimmer Switch allows remote ON/OFF control and dimming of lights controlled by associated Z-Wave modules.

[...]
So basically this is an accessory switch that will allow you to control other switches through Group 1 association, as we did yesterday over the phone, and it was working. This will not work with scenes, no matter what we try.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Also, the product description says it "requires minimote". Is this correct based on your experience, or perhaps it is only if you don't have a central controller?

Thanks!

Offline boykster

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 09:18:51 pm »
Sorry - haven't visited in a while.

I'm pretty sure I was able to use it to trigger a scene, but it was ages ago and I now use direct association because its faster and more reliable IMO.