Author Topic: Lutron Caseta Integration  (Read 3056 times)

Offline michelhamelin

Re: Lutron Caseta Integration
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 05:21:48 pm »
I cannot access the file
Browser say: Can?t connect securely to this page
It looks like the original, "main" thread for this plugin has been closed.

In case anybody needs that plugin, here is a copy:

That zip file also includes a file (L_CasetaConnect.lua_fixed) with fixes for 2-button Pico remotes.

Link removed per developer's request.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 07:50:25 am by Sorin »

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 07:37:12 am »
We asked for samples from Lutron. As soon as we'll have them, we will R&D,
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline ppactor

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 03:18:50 pm »
Thanks - This is critically important  (to me, and I am sure many others)!

Offline sjakub

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 01:32:50 pm »
So it looks like the author of the original plugin has some strong feeling against it being distributed.
Despite the fact that according to the license in the source files, that plugin is not only open source,
but even uses GPL license. Regardless, forum moderators chose to respect his wishes.
I still have the plugin, but I won't post links to it in this topic.

However, given the GPL license, it should be possible for anybody to post it on github or somewhere else and continue developing it.
But it may not be needed if we get an official version. Fingers crossed that it happens soon!

Offline cybrmage

• Beta Testers
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 05:34:12 pm »
Despite the fact that according to the license in the source files, that plugin is not only open source,
but even uses GPL license.

There are two files in the plugin that state a license... One is a file originally created as part of the underlying system that has been modified for for use by the plugin and is GPL. One is a file that was provided in the ALTUI package by amg0 and modified to give the plugin openLuup/ALTUI compatibility is a freeware license.

The rest of the files do not include a license statement, therefore they are *NOT* GPL... The functional code of the plugin is a copyright work, and as it has been released as free software, those that currently have the plugin have the right to *USE* the plugin. There is absolutely no right to distribute the plugin.

This is the reason that Vera Controls will not modify most of the plugins in the app marketplace themselves... Most plugins, although freely available, do not contain a license statement, and are therefore copyright works.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 05:37:52 pm by cybrmage »

Offline sjakub

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 07:22:01 pm »
but even uses GPL license.

There are two files in the plugin that state a license... One is a file originally created as part of the underlying system that has been modified for for use by the plugin and is GPL. One is a file that was provided in the ALTUI package by amg0 and modified to give the plugin openLuup/ALTUI compatibility is a freeware license.

The rest of the files do not include a license statement, therefore they are *NOT* GPL... The functional code of the plugin is a copyright work, and as it has been released as free software, those that currently have the plugin have the right to *USE* the plugin. There is absolutely no right to distribute the plugin.

This is the reason that Vera Controls will not modify most of the plugins in the app marketplace themselves... Most plugins, although freely available, do not contain a license statement, and are therefore copyright works.

So what you are saying, is that you took a GPLed software, modified and extended it, and you are releasing it under non-GPL license.
I hate to break it to you, but that's not how GPL works.

You are correct, most files do not have any license information. I have assumed that the entire thing is under GPL (or compatible) license.
But let's go with your "do not include a license statement, therefore they are not GPL" and are "copyright work".
This makes them incompatible with GPL, which also means you have violated the license in the first place.

You are not respecting the license of the code you obtained to create your plugin, but you expect others to respect license of your code? Good one.

Offline cybrmage

• Beta Testers
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 10:06:42 pm »
So what you are saying, is that you took a GPLed software, modified and extended it, and you are releasing it under non-GPL license.
I hate to break it to you, but that's not how GPL works.

I took a GPL piece of code... modified it and extended it. It is a stand alone piece of software. The plugin is *NOT* compiled against it. The plugin is not dependent on it, and can work perfectly well without it.

As such, it does not comprise part of the copyright work.

So... Hate to break it to you... It perfectly complies with the terms of the GPL. Maybe you should actually read the GPL (any version... they all have the same conditions in this regard...)

You are correct, most files do not have any license information. I have assumed that the entire thing is under GPL (or compatible) license.

Your assumption is 100% incorrect. Under copyright law (and this is almost universal), if a license is not explicitly stated, the assumption is that all rights are reserved. Copyright protection of a work is automatic. All assumptions favor the copyright holder.

Be that as it may.... You spend untold hundreds of hours working on a plugin, and you can distribute it in any way you feel appropriate. As far as this plugin (or any of my other plugins) is concerned... You did not create the work, you have no business distributing it.

Offline ppactor

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 05:05:08 pm »
Just a quick workaround I found...

If you are in a bind, and happen to have a Logitech Harmony Hub, you can setup Lutron devices on the Harmony Hub (Harmony can connect directly to the Lutron smartHub), and use the Harmony remote plug-in to have Vera send the commands to the Harmony, which will relay to the Lutron Smart Hub.

i.e.

Vera -> Harmony Hub -> Lutron Smart Hub

Performance (lag) is not bad.

Not a long term solution, but it allowed me to get some critical scenes back online...

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 05:29:37 pm by ppactor »

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018, 08:17:58 pm »
+1 for the suggestion.
Vera 3, 1.7.1030, CT101, Everspring motion sensor, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, Weatherunderground, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa

Offline jeubanks

• Beta Testers
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2018, 10:42:33 am »
I got tired of trying to find a "working" solution and just bought a Caseta Pro bridge.  Problem solved and used the RadioRA2 plugin.

Offline markebby

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 01:15:23 am »
This is fine and dandy for lights but, how does one use the Pico remotes?  That is where I found the add features of Caseta a huge plus!

Offline jeubanks

• Beta Testers
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 08:46:59 am »
I haven't tried to integrate any of the pico remotes yet.  Didn't really see a need/purpose as they work independent and do what I want, turn on/off/dim the lights they are assigned to.  What more functionality could I get from integrating into Vera?  Use a pico remote as a scene controller?  I suppose one could do that.  Hmm...

Offline ClovisJack

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2018, 03:00:38 pm »
I just installed a couple of the Caseta lights with Pico remotes and would also be interested in setting them up for automation.  There doesn't seem to currently be a way to do that, but I am seeing that Amazon Alexa does integrate with both Vera and Caseta and am wondering how well that configuration could work together? 

It looks like with the Caseta app & bridge you could setup scenes (if needed) and/or issue commands via Alexa. Alexa could also (?) pair up with Vera to control those devices as well (except for locks) so Alexa could be a decent way to bridge the two together. 

My wife doesn't care to use apps to do any of this, but I think she'd enjoy the simplicity of the voice commands.

Am I missing something?

Offline jeubanks

• Beta Testers
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2018, 04:04:50 pm »
I just installed a couple of the Caseta lights with Pico remotes and would also be interested in setting them up for automation.  There doesn't seem to currently be a way to do that, but I am seeing that Amazon Alexa does integrate with both Vera and Caseta and am wondering how well that configuration could work together? 

It looks like with the Caseta app & bridge you could setup scenes (if needed) and/or issue commands via Alexa. Alexa could also (?) pair up with Vera to control those devices as well (except for locks) so Alexa could be a decent way to bridge the two together. 

My wife doesn't care to use apps to do any of this, but I think she'd enjoy the simplicity of the voice commands.

Am I missing something?

If you have the Caseta PRO bridge then use the Lutron RadioRA2 app in the Vera app store.  You will have to enable integration ie telnet on the bridge through the app, then generate the integration report and email it to yourself so you can have the device ID's to setup the plugin.

If you don't have the Caseta PRO bridge then you are out of luck with Vera. 

Alexa can work directly with a Lutron Caseta bridge (any version) to provide voice control of your switches.  However that's all you get is voice control or control using the Alexa app on your phone, but why bother when you also have the caseta app on your phone.

Offline verabp

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2018, 02:42:49 am »
I have the Caseta Pro bridge and would like to get my collection of 4-button Pico Scene controllers working with the Vera RadioRa plugin since the caseta plugin is defunct now. I see by telnetting into the bridge that the scene controllers input commands into the bridge via the format

<begin format>
~DEVICE,[device ID],[BN+7],3
~DEVICE,[device ID],[BN+7],4
where
BN is button number (between 1-4)

for example when I push button 3 on device 20 (4-button pico scene ctrlr) I see
~DEVICE,20,10,3
~DEVICE,20,10,4

and when I push button 2 on device 20 I see
~DEVICE,20,9,3
~DEVICE,20,9,4

<end format>

in the telnet interfacial buffer. I suspect the ",3" is the send command and the ",4" may be a confirmation to something to somewhere (but I haven't read up on it and have no idea what is actually happening).

I considered writing a python script on a beaglebone (or maybe a cron job on the vera?) to telent into the Caseta hub, watch for such commands, and make a path for Vera to watch the beaglebone to see when a scene controller is pushed. But I suspect that this is exactly the sort of activity already performed by the RadioRa plugin with hopefully some sort of interrupts instead of timing 1-min increments by cron). I am not a Vera programmer so I'm sort of low impact in this regard.

I tried to monkey with the RadioRa plugin to recognize the Pico scene controller remote by:
1) Adding a 4-button keypad to the RadioRa root device
2) In the compnentNumber field in the Variables tab I added "11,10,9,8,0,0" which I hoped would be buttons 4-1 since that is what I see by telnet into the Caseta hub.
3) When this didn't work, I added a "3" to KeypadCommand in Variables for the keypad since the telnet commands always end in a 3, hoping this would help but it didn't.

In summary, I suspect it would be pretty easy to make the RadioRa plugin work with pico scene controllers in the Caseta pro hub if one wanted it to happen. Forgive my quick jump into a long thread about this, but who wrote the RadioRa plugin, and how much do I have to pay them to add some pico remote functionality to it. Seems like it would be pretty quick to implement.

Thanks!
-b