Author Topic: Working Media / Speaker / TTS Plugins?  (Read 1127 times)

Offline jeubanks

Working Media / Speaker / TTS Plugins?
« on: February 16, 2018, 01:08:15 am »
I have tried the DLNA Controller... doesn't work with latest UI7 which is what I have new system....

So what am I to do in order to get working, stable audio notifications and media playing?  I don't need fancy but I would like it.  My requirements are rather simple.

1.  TTS Notifications of defined or mp3 file is played on events
2.  Play an mp3 audio clip (like I hit the big red button and a noise is sounded)

I've been reading about Vera Alerts.  Looks good.  I tried looking into Google Home.  The Concierge server won't load.  I can't setup my Google mini to use for this purpose.  At least not right now as the plugins and extra server and such aren't working. 

This is all pretty basic stuff that I had working in SmartThings and I can easily get to work in Home Assistant.  Why does it feel like things are so difficult with Vera?  Not trying to bash on Vera.  So far I'm liking it.  But I'm quite cranky tonight as almost every plugin I've tried from the "official" store in the web interface does not work.  What's the point in having an app system and approval process if the app store is full of broken stuff?

I'm still waiting for a response from support on these questions, and I'm waiting for a response on IF I can get my Lutron Caseta system to work with Vera.  If not then what???  Either back to SmartThings or full board into Home Assistant and I replace my garage door opener.  A garage door opener is a lot cheaper than buying a Sonos to get basic audio/tts features and then after buying it finding out that oops that plugin doesn't work anymore either.  Errg... enough ranting.

Offline Jamr

Re: Working Media / Speaker / TTS Plugins?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 03:01:01 pm »
I use Imperihome app on my tablets and the Vera Imperihome add on for TTS notifications. Cool thing is I can customize it to each individual tablet.

Vera and ST are very different. The are lots of things that Vera handles easily that ST does not so I get it, they both have their advantages. The one advantage Vera has, that is a game stopper for me with ST is that it requires the internet to work.

Every add on I use from the store works. Some times an update breaks one and it is up to the author to fix it. If he or she is not willing, I agree, it should be removed.

I would call Vera to get some action from them on your issue.

What are you trying to do with your garage door? This is one of my specialty areas.

Offline jeubanks

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 06:25:28 pm »
Sorry for the long delay. 

So, still looking for TTS and audio support with Vera.  Or starting to look again.  At the moment I'm running all of that through Home Assistant until I can get things working in Vera.

I have the garage door sorta situated.  First problem was working presence detection.  I thought I had that fixed with using Life360, I integrated that and for a while had things working fine.  Then life360 started having problems and not giving timely updates to me.  Verified through phone app and website there was too much delay to be usable for automating with geofences.  Moving this to using beacons (work in progress)

Problem I was having with garage door was with PLEG setup.  Getting the rules setup correctly (back to playing with that as well).

Currently everything is working with a combo of Vera and Home Assistant.  However I would like to have as much in Vera as I can, but if not then I'll just live with a multi-hub system, why not I have one of each variety in the consumer market.

Offline rafale77

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 01:13:47 pm »
I have been running all my TTS now through a SONOS API running on a VM.
Are you looking to play these TTS and mp3 on a SONOS system or through the google mini?
openLuup (97 devices, 134 scenes, 20 apps) controlling HomeAss + VeraPlus (138 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 205 devices, 20 scenes , 2 app) Bridged to Homekit and Alexa. VeraPlus ExtRooted!

Offline jeubanks

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 03:01:28 pm »
I would prefer running TTS and being able to cast audio to my google mini's through Vera like I do with Home Assistant.  This would "clean up" my environment a bit.  I could go the route of raspberry pi's and speakers all through the house, but why when I already have a dozen echo dots (wish amazon would let us push notifications and audio to them) and then several google mini's around. 

Offline Jamr

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 08:00:12 pm »
Sorry for the long delay. 

So, still looking for TTS and audio support with Vera.  Or starting to look again.  At the moment I'm running all of that through Home Assistant until I can get things working in Vera.

I have the garage door sorta situated.  First problem was working presence detection.  I thought I had that fixed with using Life360, I integrated that and for a while had things working fine.  Then life360 started having problems and not giving timely updates to me.  Verified through phone app and website there was too much delay to be usable for automating with geofences.  Moving this to using beacons (work in progress)

Problem I was having with garage door was with PLEG setup.  Getting the rules setup correctly (back to playing with that as well).

Currently everything is working with a combo of Vera and Home Assistant.  However I would like to have as much in Vera as I can, but if not then I'll just live with a multi-hub system, why not I have one of each variety in the consumer market.

Well for "detection" I assume you mean status? Open or closed? I would definitely recommend a hard wired switch and never look back. Hard switches are rock solid and hardly have any problems. Either with a Telguard sub controller or other type of sub controller.

I would reach out to Richard the maker of PLEG for help with that one or view his help on his web site or here.

Offline jeubanks

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 08:27:21 pm »
When I said "detection" it was in reference to "presence detection" as in geofencing, or locality of a person or object/vehicle.  I have been through the ringer trying different solutions.  Life360 had been the best, but in the last couple weeks it has been very slow to update status of tracked people and because of that it was not reliable for use in automation.  I'm hoping it gets better again and stays working as it was a great solution for people presence detection.

The PLEG rules for the garage I think I got worked out.  That was in another thread and I'm getting better with PLEG as I use it more and ask more questions.

As for TTS/Media still no Vera only solution there.  Still looking for one that doesn't involve a small fortune for Sonos speakers.