We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: New Android App for IMMEDIATE ALERTING from Vera.  (Read 45356 times)

Offline ragmondo

Re: New Android App for IMMEDIATE ALERTING from Vera.
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 10:39:33 am »
I would love to try this but I'm running 2.1 with no ability to go to 2.2.  Thoughts on getting it to work on 2.1?

I've reconsidered. I can use other alerting mechanisms such as google talk for phones that are not 2.2 yet... Do you use google talk ? If so I'll put together an alternative alerting mech for that.

Offline napolitano172

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 11:49:50 am »
I do use google talk as well as google voice.

Offline ragmondo

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 12:39:29 pm »
Ok I'll throw something in over the next few days and let you know when it's ready!

Offline dcowan

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 10:37:16 pm »
The speed that this works at is awesome.  Much much better than the built in vera notification which has always been delayed, but lately has been completely unreliable.  The one thing I would like to see is some better way to view incoming notifications.  Like SMS with history.  Also the time received.  Being able to get the alert data like you get via sms would be nice also.  Is there any way to hook this into the existing notification tab on scenes?

Offline ragmondo

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 04:55:13 am »
The speed that this works at is awesome.  Much much better than the built in vera notification which has always been delayed, but lately has been completely unreliable.  The one thing I would like to see is some better way to view incoming notifications.  Like SMS with history.  Also the time received.  Being able to get the alert data like you get via sms would be nice also.  Is there any way to hook this into the existing notification tab on scenes?

Hi there,

All very good ideas. History of alerts in the app and date/time triggered would not be a problem (I could use vera time, which I hope is synced every so often), I just haven't put a datastore for alerts created yet, but that would be fairly trivial.

I do like the idea of hooking into the notification tab, but I have no idea where to start with that ... would anybody else care to help with that bit ?!

Offline iflyM3

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 07:10:52 pm »
@ ragmondo

hmm... do you know if this should work with Android 2.2.1?  I tried with my MyTouch4G and it doesn't appear to be working.  It could be something that I did wrong.  I'll try again later tonight.  Do you know if the phone has to be connected within the same network or does this also work remotely?
Vera 2 UI5 (1.5.622)... and too many Z-Wave/Ethernet/Wi-Fi devices to list.

Offline ragmondo

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 07:34:44 pm »
definitely works with 2.2 and above. email me your "alert id" and I'll take a look - richardagreen on gmail.com

Offline ragmondo

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2011, 07:25:02 pm »
For followers of the alerting app, you can now view your historical alerts using a url of the form :

http://vera-alert.appspot.com/list?recipient=xxxxxx

where xxxx is obviously your alert ID. These will be flushed from time to time but I intend to keep at least one month of alerts for all users. Obviously I am working on security etc etc but this may help you see alerts in the past.

Usual "freemium" rules will probably apply, ie for free you get 1 week of alerts, for $$$ you'll get a year or whatever it works out to be. EDIT: Sorry this applies just for ALERT HISTORY, not alerts in general.

I'll be updating the app over the next few days so these will be visible from the "main"  screen in that too.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 05:08:47 am by ragmondo »

Offline iflyM3

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2011, 09:59:19 pm »
@ ragmondo

just an update, this is indeed working and WOW!  I don't know how you did it but WOW, this is uber fast at Alerting.  MUCH faster then the alert or notifications from Mios.  Thank you so much!!!

Offline michaelk

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 01:13:50 pm »
thanks for sharing-

I plan to play when i get some time at home.
 :)

Offline ragmondo

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 06:21:11 pm »
NEW UPDATE **** FOR USERS OF ANDROID < 2.2 (and also just google talk users in general - no phone needed!)

I have made an update to the server side so that you do not need a later version of android, or in fact any phone at all.

When setting up the Vera Alert virtual device, you just put your google email address as the "ALERT ID" recipient instead of the alert ID generated by the app.

The message is sent via the "google talk" protocol, so the first time you will be invited that "VeraAlert@vera-alert.appspotchat.com" wants to talk to you - you MUST accept this or you won't receive any messages.

From then on , messages will be sent as if someone is talking to you

Happy messaging !!

Offline napolitano172

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2011, 08:43:03 pm »
I was going to wait until tomorrow but I just couldn't - it is installed and working - as I open the door I'm getting the alert - extremely fast!  This is wonderful - thank you.

Offline iflyM3

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 11:12:17 pm »
@ragmondo

Thank you so much for creating this very wonderful, extremely fast, alerting plugin for Vera.  This is awesome, you've now made my Vera able to chat with me. hehe.  Keep up the good work!!!

;D

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 02:15:47 pm »
@ragmondo

Sorry, I don't know how to
2) Install a "virtual device" in your vera software using files from the link above (the 2nd link down). There will be 4 of them, "D_VeraAlert.xml, I_VeraAlert.xml, S_VeraAlert.xml and D_VeraAlert.json". Upload all of them to you vera !!

Offline markbannister

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 02:36:14 pm »
gave it a try
Very nice.
It did take me a minute to figure out that to get the event to trigger I had to go to the Advance tab of the new scene, pick a device, add it select toggle state.