Author Topic: Somfy New Z-Wave RTS Interface (ZRTSI)  (Read 50015 times)

Offline bfschroe

Re: Somfy New Z-Wave RTS Interface (ZRTSI)
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 03:25:46 pm »
I was changing the "device type" not the file. It is configuring now.

Worked like a charm (took only a few seconds for the fix to take hold.)

Thanks
Bruce

Offline bfschroe

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2012, 04:55:15 pm »
Got it working. I think (can't test until motors arrive) I have successfully added all 16 channels, each as their own device. Funny thing is that they added successfully as "window covering " after the first one (channel 0).

So now I can easily set each channel to any particular level (0-100). Is there a command for Up/Down/Stop (as implemented in the Vera dashboard)?
Is there any documentation on this device (?presets, scenes, etc.)

Thanks
Bruce

Offline Melbo

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2012, 05:48:53 pm »
There is a Tahoma system in Europe, but it may not use Z-Wave yet.  I think it uses io-homecontrol which is bi-directional radio too. 

Do you have to have a Z-Wave interface?  Because you could just connect a Somfy URTSI to Vera via a USB to RS232 cable and control 16 channels of RTS shades.

I've been told that the American ZRTSI doesn't work in Europe because it works on another frequency? Right after that they told me that they can sell me the Tahoma-box. I feel like they can't deliver the ZRTSI and don't want me to import one from America and that's why they tell me that Europe works on another frequency so they can sell me a Tahoma-Box?!

If the ZRTSI does indeed work on another frequency: how is this with the URTSI? Can I use this in Europe?

I really want to control my shades through my Vera. All of my 15 shades have RTS-motors so it would be an great upgrade if I could get a ZRTSI or a URTSI working here in Europe. / Netherlands

Hope someone can help me out!

Regards,
Melvin

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2012, 06:08:23 pm »
Its true, European and American Z-wave has a different frequency, but you should be able to use the URTSI OK though with Vera and the plugin:

http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_somfy-urtsi/browser
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline Melbo

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2012, 05:41:55 pm »
Its true, European and American Z-wave has a different frequency, but you should be able to use the URTSI OK though with Vera and the plugin:

http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_somfy-urtsi/browser
Ok great, thanks for your quick answer!

One question about the URTSI: how come this works fine in Europe and the ZRTSI doesn't? Does it work on another frequency??

Offline capjay

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2012, 05:55:50 pm »
One question about the URTSI: how come this works fine in Europe and the ZRTSI doesn't? Does it work on another frequency??

because ZRTSI interfaces with Vera using Z-Wave (different frequencies in US and Europe), whereas URTSI interfaces with Vera over serial port..

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2012, 08:17:07 pm »
I guess he meant the Somfy RTS frequency perhaps? if so then I assume its either the same globally (433MHz), or if not then you'd buy a regional version with the matching frequency (if they were different which I doubt)
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline Melbo

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2012, 02:51:55 pm »
I guess he meant the Somfy RTS frequency perhaps? if so then I assume its either the same globally (433MHz), or if not then you'd buy a regional version with the matching frequency (if they were different which I doubt)

I think I do mean that indeed :P because Somfy told me that the US ZRTSI doesn't work on my European shades with RTS??

If the URTSI does work that's fine with me because I don't care if it's connected to my Vera wireless or through a serial connection!

Anyone who can tell me if this work for sure?? :)

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2012, 04:50:37 pm »
I'm fairly sure, and so long as you try to purchase the URTSI local to you, then that should give confidence!

@shady, is likely the best person to answer, but I know he's a bit tied up at the moment and may not be on the forum for a while!

Offline shady

• Beta Testers
  • This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2012, 01:58:56 am »
@Strangely is correct as far as I know.  The RTS frequencies should be the same for Europe and the US, but I am basing this off of information given to me by Somfy and sometimes you get different answers to certain inquiries depending on who you ask.  I would follow @Strangely's advice and purchase an URTSI through local channels while giving yourself the option to either return it or resell it if there is a problem.  I don't foresee any problem though.  When you asked them about compatibility they must have been talking about the Z-Wave side of the device.
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline homeandaway

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2012, 12:20:37 pm »
Are you changing the device file in the advanced tab of the device settings to D_WindowCovering1.xml?  Then let Vera do it's thing for 10-15 min and the controls for the device should change in the UI.

Thank you very much for the helpful instruction.  My ZRTSI, too, was configured as a scene controller.  Now, it is a window covering device on Vera3, but unable to get information on the node, which is 1 on the ZRTSI dial.  Will Vera3 configure itself for every node on the ZRTSI?

If it does, how do I set up a scene with it?  I have three shades that I would like to work independently from one another. 

Offline bfschroe

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2012, 09:55:50 pm »
I wondered that too.  Not sure if this was the only way to get it done but I used the "add device" tool and then using the ZRTSI "Z" button was able to pair each channel as a separate device. Check the ZRTSI instructions but it was pretty simple, I think just had to dial the channel number on the wheel then press the "Z" button while vera was looking for a new device. Name it according to the channel and move on to the next. Took just a few minutes and now I have all 16 channels added (only using 6 but nice to have for later). Was easy to setup scenes, etc.

Much like you suggested I setup each (or logical grouping) shade on its own channel.  To do a scene where they all move you can activate each channel sequentially. I wanted them to move simultaneously so I programmed each shade to respond to its own channel and a common channel for that room. Not sure how many channels can be learned by each shade but I have 3 each (1 from the Somfy transmitter, 2 from the ZRTSI).  Example: Room with 3 shades. Programmed shade 1 for channels 1 and 4; Shade 2 for channels 2 and 4 and shade 3 for 3 and 4.  So I can issue a command for individual control (1 or 2 or 3) but if I want to control them all at the same time, I use channel 4. Works great.

The only issue I still have is that the window covering interface is reversed. Have not been able to fix that.  Also, the control that appears in MCV is really not relevant. The only 3 commands that work on Somfy (to the best of my knowledge) are Up, Stop, Down.
The control also shows a slider (like a dimmer) but the shade cannot be set to a discrete intermediate value. Open and Close are also present. Close actually works but Open has no function.

I suppose you can program scenes with specific intermediate positions but would require you to send the shade to a known position (full open or full closed) and then move the shade for a specific amount of time before issuing the STOP command. Probably would work pretty well.  You can also program the "MY" position on the shade to a single intermediate location then trigger the "MY" command from vera (I believe sending STOP twice is the same as hitting the "MY" button but I have had variable success)

I am not up to speed on app creation but would be nice to have one that was specific for this device.

Offline homeandaway

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2012, 12:03:07 am »
I wondered that too.  Not sure if this was the only way to get it done but I used the "add device" tool and then using the ZRTSI "Z" button was able to pair each channel as a separate device. Check the ZRTSI instructions but it was pretty simple, I think just had to dial the channel number on the wheel then press the "Z" button while vera was looking for a new device. Name it according to the channel and move on to the next. Took just a few minutes and now I have all 16 channels added (only using 6 but nice to have for later). Was easy to setup scenes, etc.

I haven't paired the Vera3 UI5 other than on node 1.  I have set with RTS the shades up on 4 nodes, so I will try to pair them individually with Vera3 UI5 now using Z-wave on the four channels.

Much like you suggested I setup each (or logical grouping) shade on its own channel.  To do a scene where they all move you can activate each channel sequentially. I wanted them to move simultaneously so I programmed each shade to respond to its own channel and a common channel for that room. Not sure how many channels can be learned by each shade but I have 3 each (1 from the Somfy transmitter, 2 from the ZRTSI).  Example: Room with 3 shades. Programmed shade 1 for channels 1 and 4; Shade 2 for channels 2 and 4 and shade 3 for 3 and 4.  So I can issue a command for individual control (1 or 2 or 3) but if I want to control them all at the same time, I use channel 4. Works great.

My plan on using the shades is exactly as yours are set up.  Your use of the channels puts me on the right track.

The only issue I still have is that the window covering interface is reversed. Have not been able to fix that.  Also, the control that appears in MCV is really not relevant. The only 3 commands that work on Somfy (to the best of my knowledge) are Up, Stop, Down.
The control also shows a slider (like a dimmer) but the shade cannot be set to a discrete intermediate value. Open and Close are also present. Close actually works but Open has no function.

I suppose you can program scenes with specific intermediate positions but would require you to send the shade to a known position (full open or full closed) and then move the shade for a specific amount of time before issuing the STOP command. Probably would work pretty well.  You can also program the "MY" position on the shade to a single intermediate location then trigger the "MY" command from vera (I believe sending STOP twice is the same as hitting the "MY" button but I have had variable success)

I am not up to speed on app creation but would be nice to have one that was specific for this device.

My needs are only for full open or full closed.  I need spend more time on the MCV control.  I did not know about the double STOP = MY button relationship.

Your comments have been very beneficial.  Thank you.

Offline shady

• Beta Testers
  • This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2012, 06:27:23 pm »
Not sure how many channels can be learned by each shade but I have 3 each (1 from the Somfy transmitter, 2 from the ZRTSI).

Each motor should hold 12 devices aka channels.  It is common and recommened to program shades to individual channels and also an ALL Channel or GROUP Channels.

The only issue I still have is that the window covering interface is reversed. Have not been able to fix that.
I modified my D_WindowCovering1.json file to reverse the polarity in relation to the UI buttons.  See bottom of this post for file and instructions on how to upload. 

I suppose you can program scenes with specific intermediate positions but would require you to send the shade to a known position (full open or full closed) and then move the shade for a specific amount of time before issuing the STOP command. Probably would work pretty well. 
This is how a lot of external shade controllers work, including the available Z-Wave ones.  During a calibration sequence (run once) the controller times the run time of the shade from stop to stop.  It would be possible to reproduce this in a plug-in and would work almost as well if signal latency is low between Z-Wave and RTS.  A 'MY' position will give you a single stop and should work fine through Vera (pressing STOP whenever the shade is stopped will send shade to MY position).  A MY position is recorded by using the Somfy Remote, use arrows to position shade at desired position, then press and hold MY button for 5 seconds, the shade will respond with a jog confirming the recording of MY.  Not the most intuitive remote in the industry, but I just tell people that MY is French for STOP and half the time they get the joke and the other half think I am serious.

edit: CHANGED at 6:18pm 6/23/12 for simplification of steps
***OK to upload the attached file, which reverses the Up and Down buttons in the UI, first download the file to your PC.  Then in the UI, nav to Apps->Develop Apps->Luup Files and look to the right where it says Upload Files.
Click Browse and find the .json file you just downloaded.  Scroll to the bottom of Upload Files and check 'Restart Luup after upload' and click GO.  Wait a few minutes until Vera completes the Luup restart.  Your Up/Down are now reversed as they should be.  You'll notice two D_WindowCovering.json files in the Luup file list in the UI, don't worry as the one we just uploaded will override the factory one...this is normal to see the two copies.

At least this will work until there is an official plug-in.

edit:  This change should probably be applied to all Veras that want to control window coverings, as I believe the Up/Down buttons are reversed for all controllers, even the URTSI thru RS232.  I haven't tested the newer controllers, Fibaro or others, but all of the controllers I listed in the wiki were reversed if I remember correctly.  Which is why we need a variable to switch polarity in the advanced settings.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 09:18:40 pm by shady »
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline bikecrazy00

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2012, 10:30:56 pm »
Hi all,

I am extremely new to Vera so please bare with me. I have purchased the ZRTSI but am not able to get it recognized from Vera. I am following the instructions off youtube for this device but it shows the connection to Tahoma. Any advice would be great.

Thanks!!!