Author Topic: Disconnecting Vera from internet  (Read 4141 times)

Offline hankjones

Disconnecting Vera from internet
« on: March 20, 2011, 10:38:05 pm »
I would like to disconnect Vera from the internet and found that when i connect to Vera from my PC, it takes a long time before the GUI comes up.  It says "Loading data in progress"...  When I allow my Vera to get out to the internet, the gui comes up fast.  I'm assuming that the Vera is trying to go somewhere on the internet and it finally times out and lets me into the GUI.  Is there something I can do to fix this issue?

Also I use iVera, and iVera seems to need to get my inside ip address in order to work.  Is there a way to statically set my Vera address on the MCV servers?  Right now i have to allow my Vera box outbound access every week for 15min.

The reason I'm concerned with this is that Vera and the MCV servers may be designed with security in mind, but if hackers can break into the US military, they can break into a service like this.  If folks have locks, cameras, lights, alerts tied into the system...... it's just scary.

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
Re: Disconnecting Vera from internet
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 10:44:20 pm »
Vera likes to be connected to the internet, so she can get the date and time through NTP.

The inside IP address is (typically) controlled by your router. You'd have to check your router to see if you can set up a static IP for Vera. But iVera should be able to find Vera regardless.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:13:22 pm by oTi@ »
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline hankjones

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 11:06:35 pm »
I can set my Vera with a static ip address.  Just wondering if I can set my "internal" Vera address statically on the MCV servers. Oh, and good point about the time, if the Vera can't keep the time over reboots, I would have an internal Ntp server. 

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 11:18:32 pm »
Just wondering if I can set my "internal" Vera address statically on the MCV servers.
I think the servers remember. Why would you want to explicitly set it?

Oh, and good point about the time, if the Vera can't keep the time over reboots, I would have an internal Ntp server. 
Yep. (If your internal NTP server is reasonably accurate over the course of a week.)

Offline hankjones

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 06:43:34 am »
I'd like to explicitly set it cause apparently iVera connects to the MCV servers first to get that address.  After about a week or so, the MCV servers looks like it purges the address and iVera stops working.

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 08:05:27 am »
Are you talking about iVera on your LAN, or iVera through the internet? I had assumed iVera on your LAN; that should work without internet/mios.com.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 08:31:58 am by oTi@ »

Offline hankjones

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 09:49:35 am »
IVera on the Internet through a VPN. On my LAN, the iVera is on a different subnet then my Vera box.

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 10:52:21 am »
I see (but I thought you wanted to disconnect from the internet). Yeah, I don't think you can manually tell iVera your local IP anymore. Moving Vera into the same subnet is (apparently) not an option?

Offline hankjones

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 12:23:52 pm »
Yeah, I want to disconnect my Vera from the Internet by blocking all access from Vera to the internet, but I can still VPN to the box.

I was kinda disappointed when iVera removed statically setting the ip address.  When I emailed support, they said it had to connect to the MCV servers.