Author Topic: Vera2 As A Hub  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Reed

• Sr. Newbie
Vera2 As A Hub
« on: March 23, 2011, 01:50:19 pm »
I have Vera2 setup as a hub off of a Linksys WRT54G router, but I'm having to leave SSID broadcast on because Foscam camera does not support broadcast turned off.  My question is how hard would it be for a hacker to hack into my network though Vera?  I have broadcast turned off on router.

Another question can Vera talk to router wireless, with its SSID turned off, & just run CAT-5 cable from Foscam camera  to port on back of Vera?

Thanks,
Reed

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
Re: Vera2 As A Hub
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 02:28:43 pm »
My question is how hard would it be for a hacker to hack into my network though Vera?
If you're using WPA2 encryption, it should be hard.

Another question can Vera talk to router wireless, with its SSID turned off, & just run CAT-5 cable from Foscam camera  to port on back of Vera?
Haven't tried it, but you should be able to have Vera be a client bridge. And I'd assume it works with the SSID turned off. See here.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline Reed

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 03:32:18 pm »
Thanks oTi@!  I tried using Vera as a bridge, but was not too successful.  That would probably just limit me to 2 cameras & would like to add 2 more.  I'll just place Vera where wireless signal would  be limited to hopefully just a few feet from house.  Hacking is not 100% proof on anything, but harder you make it will hopefully discourage the attempt.

Thanks again!

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 04:40:44 pm »

Hi Reed,

In terms of the hardware, Vera's Ethernet ports can do anything that a router's Ethernet ports can do.  So yes, what you describe should be possible (assuming that there is a way in the UI to do it).  You could add an Ethernet switch in between Vera and the cameras if you wanted to connect to more than two at once.

(BTW: Hiding the SSID is no deterrent at all to hackers.  All of the useful wireless-sniffing tools don't care if you broadcast an SSID or not; your network is just as visible.  Just turn it on and use proper encryption like WPA2.)

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 04:59:06 pm »
I'll just place Vera where wireless signal would  be limited to hopefully just a few feet from house.  Hacking is not 100% proof on anything, but harder you make it will hopefully discourage the attempt.
Yep. But hiding the SSID is not the strongest part of the defense. Your password / WPA2 encryption is.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline Reed

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 03:30:10 am »
Thanks guys!  Yeah I changed that password 2 years ago when got router & running WPA.

Just got a email notice from AT&T that they are going to start charging, in May, for using internet in excess of 150GB for DSL per month.  Wow!  I haven't come close to that, but again I didn't have a camera/cameras on network in the making.