Author Topic: New to Vera 2, configuring GE 45600 remote controller  (Read 34650 times)

Offline waltzer11

Re: New to Vera 2, configuring GE 45600 remote controller
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 06:46:35 pm »
This worked for me for the GE/Jasco 45600.  I just bought mine for $10 including shipping.

In summary:
1) Include the remote on Vera (like you would any ZWave switch).  Run the wizard.  Press Setup on the remote and hold till the double flashes.  Then type 967 on the remote.  The light will flash green continuously and stop when Vera finds it.  From here, follow the normal inclusion procedure to name your new scene controller, put it into the right room, etc.
2) Add events to the scenes you want to activate with the remote.  Device is the GE 45600 (or 45601), for example "Scene controller K".  What type of event is the trigger? "A Scene is activated", Name for this event - I use "Scene ON" where # is the key 1-9, and Scene number is the corresponding button on the remote (1-9).  At this point the ON side of the button will run the ON scene.
3) Re-include the remote.  The light will flash green continuously, stop for a second and then double flash when Vera finds it.
4) Add events to the scenes you want to de-activate with the remote.  Device is "Scene controller K".  "A Scene is de-activated", scene name - I use "Scene OFF", and Scene number is the corresponding button on the remote.  At this point the OFF side of the button will run the OFF scene too.

Now I'm going to watch some TV.  The GE 45600 to turn the TV Scene on and turning off all the rest of the house lights the kids leave on with their corresponding OFF scenes.  :D

Let me know if it worked for you   ;D
---------------------
Vera2 (1.1.1245, UI4); ACT ZRW113W; GE/Jasco 45600, 45602, 45604, 45605 x3, 45606 x4, 45609 x11, 45614; Hawking HRDS1 x3; Intermatic CA9000 x2; Schlage BE369GR, WCE100; Trane TZEMT400AB32MAA

may i ask where did you buy this GE45600 for $10 including shipping? thanks.

Offline kgrr

• My obsession: Totally automating my townhouse
    • My Facebook Page:
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 01:05:02 pm »
I bought two of the 45600 from MyTechSolution at http://stores.ebay.com/MyTechSolution?_trksid=p4340.l2563  They arrive in its original packaging, and well protected against freight damage in just a few days.  Here's the link to the current E-Bay Listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-45600-Z-WAVE-TECHNOLOGY-WIRELESS-HANDHELD-LIGHTING-REMOTE-CONTROL-/130598134719?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e684163bf  I was very satisfied with both transactions.
---------------------
Vera2 (1.5.255, UI5); ACT ZRW113W; Aeon HEM, SmartSwitch, GE/Jasco 45600, 45601, 45602, 45603, 45604, 45605, 45606, 45609, 45614; Hawking HRDS1; Intermatic CA9000; Schlage BE369GR, WCE100; SQ Blaster Plus; Squeezebox; Trane TZEMT400AB32MAA

Offline kgrr

• My Facebook Page:
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 02:13:08 pm »
I bought a second GE45600 and it was pretty simple to program it:
1) Include the new remote with a name that's unique from the first
2) Create any new scenes you want to activate/deactivate with the other remote
3) In the scenes add the second remote's events as triggers (for both on and off triggers)
There was no need to re-include the second remote.  Both remotes like a charm.

oTi@ : I got the impression that David/Tripletdad was adding individual devices to Vera and then adding the GE45600 as a scene controller.  But the GE 45600 should act as a device controller for up to 18 devices, a group controller for up to 18 groups and a scene controller for up to 18 scenes.  So far, we've only scratched the surface of what should be possible with this little $10 remote.

Now noting that scene 1 through scene 9 when adding the trigger correspond with keys 1 through 9 on the remote.  Has anyone gotten the shifted set of scenes to work?  I have not started experimenting with them.  Does anyone know the corresponding scene numbers to the shifted set?  11-19?  A1-A9?

Does anyone know how to add individual devices to the remote?  Or how do I trigger an individual device?  I would love to be able to
set a basic scene and then make fine adjustments on some of the devices included in a scene.  For example to set the scene for TV watching, but to switch on a reading light or to switch off the fireplace when it's gotten too hot.

Also, can anyone tell me the difference between a "group" and a "scene"?

Konrad
---------------------
Vera2 (1.5.255, UI5); ACT ZRW113W; Aeon HEM, SmartSwitch, GE/Jasco 45600, 45601, 45602, 45603, 45604, 45605, 45606, 45609, 45614; Hawking HRDS1; Intermatic CA9000; Schlage BE369GR, WCE100; SQ Blaster Plus; Squeezebox; Trane TZEMT400AB32MAA

Offline Michele

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 02:13:14 am »
"Does anyone know how to add individual devices to the remote? "

No.  There are fairly clear directions on how to do this in the little pamphlet that comes with the remote and they don't work.  I wasted half an hour of my life on the phone with some clueless person on the GE support line over this issue.  He finally told me (to get rid of me I suspect) that the remote was defective and I should return it for a refund.  I think he was simply wrong.

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 09:12:23 am »
Does anyone know how to add individual devices to the remote?
That was the focus of @Michele's question when this thread was picked up again. As @Michele said, it does not appear to work. Not in the way it works for its 45601 big brother. It can be made to work through a convoluted scheme, but that is not recommended. So: triggering scenes works, controlling individual devices does not.

Also, can anyone tell me the difference between a "group" and a "scene"?
I think with scenes you get to set individual levels if you use dimmers in your scenes, a group is just on/off?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:15:27 am by oTi@ »
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline kgrr

• My Facebook Page:
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 03:55:09 pm »
I don't think you are following me exactly ... and, yes, I have read every thread dealing with GE/Jasco 45600 and 45601.  wscannell is explaining to Michele how to set vera scenes triggered by the 45600 scene commands.
Although I do not have the 600 (I use the 601s), I assume thatthey work in a similar manner.  Once you pair the remote with Vera, you create scenes for each ON button (only 1-9 work with Vera).

Create an event in the scene with the Remote device, a scene is activated, and the scene number the same as the button number you want to use.  Set any commands that you want to control in the scene.

If you are turning on switches or lamp modules with the scene, repeat the pairing of the remote.  This sends commands to make the remote turn on (or off) the devices directly.  (This is the only way to get the scene OFF buttons to work.

Note that you do not have to do this repairing of the remote until all your scenes are done.

Then Michele responds...
Great - that sounds encouraging.  So let me see if I understand this.  I used "Add Zwave device -> remote control" in UI4 to create a Scene Controller device.  I hit the Setup -> code 967 buttons on the GE and got two green LED blinks, so that seems to have worked.  Vera shows the GE on the Dashboard.

Next I created a new scene in UI4.

In the Events tab for the new scene I added one event ("office light on").

Then I clicked Edit and for Device I selected the GE remote, for Event Type I chose "A scene is actrivated" and for "scene number" I typed 1.

In the Commands tab I selected Office for the room.

Then under the Advanced tab for the "Scene is active" pulldown, I chose "when all devices in the scene are properly set".  Then for "Pick a device" I chose "office light".

Then under the GE remote menu I chose "Reconfigure".  (Is this complicated enough yet?)

Then I closed the GE remote icon and clicked Save in UI4.  No error messages.

Then I pressed "Scene" on the GE remote and got one red blink.  Then I pressed "1" and got two green blinks, but the office light did not come on.  What am I missing here?  Thanks.

But what Michele was attempting in her post, if it had worked correctly,  was to create an event that sends a reconfigure command to the light when the scene was triggered.  Note she was hitting   *scene* *1 ON* on the remote.

The solution to her problem is that she simply needed to select the lights she wanted on for her scene 1.  We've worked all that out in the recent thread.

----
Now for my issue...

Assume my scene turns on a bunch of things in the office like the office light and the computer power strip.   I can already do this by touching *scene* *1 ON* on my remote.  And I can easily touch *scene* *1 OFF* to turn off the scene.

But addition, what I want to do to is to turn on just the light when I hit *light* *1 ON* on the remote, turn on just the power strip by pressing *light* *2 ON*, etc.  I don't want to eat up scene buttons, but the set of light and group commands on the remote.

Observation:
The 45600 remote only seems to be sending things for *scene* *1 ON/OFF* through *9 ON/OFF*.  It does not send anything for *light* *1 ON/OFF* through *9 ON/OFF* nor does it send anything for *group* *1 ON/OFF* through *9 ON/OFF*

How do other, more complicated remotes get programmed with Vera?  How are they programmed to turn on and off a single device?  How do they create and deal with groups?

---------------------

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 10:01:50 am »
I don't think you are following me exactly ...
??? Thought I was. I took @Michele's original problem statement ...
[...] but now I can't program any lights to the remote.
[...] but the GE just won't pair to any devices.
... to mean: programming individual devices (i.e. *light* *1 ON* etc.), as opposed to programming scenes (although it appears @Michele was not aware of the scene programming, brought up by @wscannell, and was happy to learn about that.).

My responses dealt with programming individual devices; and I think both @Michele and I therefore responded 'no' to your question.

Offline kgrr

• My Facebook Page:
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 08:30:29 pm »
oTi@ 
Yes, you are correct in the individual device thread Michele posted.

After looking at my configuration file at http://<<my IP>>:49451/data_request?id=user_data&output_format=xml it looks like all remote controls except for the minimote and a wall controller are being assigned a one-size fits all schema urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:SceneController:1 and D_SceneController1.xml device file.  It's clear that the configurations are not set-up to receive triggers/events for turning on and off a switch or dimming a dimmer, or a group of devices, or the thermostat (for the GE45601).  It looks like device-specific plug-in could be written for the GE45600 and the GE45601 to look a variant of schema urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:SceneController:1 and D_SceneController1.xml device file, and call other schemas, device files and code to deal with the other events the devices must be capable of producing.

But I don't quite understand yet why both the GE45600 and the GE45601 cannot be dimensioned properly to deal with the full set of 18 scenes.  (1-9 and shift 1-9).  I have not found how or where the remote gets its initial programming as it is included or updated.

I have defined scene 10 and 11 ... but they don't get loaded into the remote.

Button #4-on=4 Living RM - Evening TV, Button #1-on=1 Master BR - Lights ON, Button #1-off=1 Master BR - Lights OFF, Button #4-off=4 Living RM - All OFF, Button #2-on=2 Loft - Lights ON, Button #2-off=2 Loft - Lights OFF, Button #3-on=3 Second BR - Lights ON, Button #3-off=3 Second BR - Lights OFF, Button #6-on=6 Kitchen and Hallway ON, Button #6-off=6 Kitchen and Hallway OFF, Button #5-on=5 Living RM - All ON, Button #5-off=5 Living RM - Dim, Button #7-on=7 Loft - Outlet ON, Button #7-off=Loft - Outlet OFF, Button #10-on=10 Patio - Lights ON, Button #11-on=11 Front Porch - Light ON,

How does it know to stop at Button #9?

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 05:04:46 am by kgrr »
---------------------

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 06:05:38 am »
Has anyone gotten the shifted set of scenes to work?
The shifted scenes appear to work. I put an 'off' scene as #1, an 'on' scene as #10. Pressing 'shift+1' does turn the device on, pressing '1' turns it off.

Does anyone know the corresponding scene numbers to the shifted set?  11-19?  A1-A9?
It's consecutive, so 10-18 (which perhaps is not very intuitive, given the labeling of the keys), which follows the default GE scene designators.

This was with a 45601; have not tried the 45600.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:48:40 am by oTi@ »

Offline Michele

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 01:33:35 pm »
Just to clear up any confusion, what I was originally trying to do was simply pair individual lights to buttons on the GW/Jasco 45600 remote by holding the remote next to each device and programming buttonsdirectly just like I can do with my Homeremote HA09 remote.

However, I was never able to get that to work.  Then it was pointed out to me that you could achieve the same effect of controlling lights with the GE remote by configuring scenes on Vera and then activating them with the GE remote.  That did work, but it's still only a work-around.

I'd prefer not to have to do it that way, but the GE remote controls 18 devices and the HA09 only controls 6, so whatever it takes to use the GE, I guess.

Offline khyizang

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 04:00:01 am »
I got a 45600 recently.  Quite an adventure! 

One quirk that cost a bit of time is the fact that Vera will take care of non-zwave devices that are part of a scene IF the scene is assigned to the ON part of the remote's button.  If a scene has non-zwave devices and is assigned to the OFF button, the remote will be expected to take care of the entire scene.  The remote only handles zwave devices.  Consequently, any non-zwave devices will remain unmodified.  Drove me crazy until I figured that out!

To reverse such a mixed protocol scene, I had to assign the scene to another ON button.  Not particularly intuitive, but it does seem to work.  Now I can fully deactivate a scene that has zwave, X10 AND INSTEON components.  That nuance might be missed if most scenes only involve zwave devices.  I suppose there is a good reason for that behavior.  I just haven't read one yet.

I also take it that there is no existing means to map individual Vera devices to the buttons on the remote, short of making the remote the primary, assigning devices to the remote's buttons and then transferring that info back to Vera as the remote's secondary controller?  That sounds a bit frightening.  Has anyone actually done what was recommended by oTi@ and had it work out?

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 10:42:00 pm »
[...]45600 [...] OFF button, the remote will be expected to take care of the entire scene.  The remote only handles zwave devices.  Consequently, any non-zwave devices will remain unmodified.  Drove me crazy until I figured that out! [...] I suppose there is a good reason for that behavior.
The functionality of the OFF button is pre-determined by the remote, i.e. it turns off anything the ON button turned on. As this is a feature of the remote, it will only work for devices that the remote knows how to talk to (i.e. definitely Z-Wave only, and then only things like lighting devices / appliance modules / outlets). The reason Vera can't take over for the remote, is that there is no way to communicate to Vera which OFF button was pressed.

I also take it that there is no existing means to map individual Vera devices to the buttons on the remote, short of making the remote the primary, assigning devices to the remote's buttons and then transferring that info back to Vera as the remote's secondary controller?  That sounds a bit frightening.  Has anyone actually done what was recommended by oTi@ and had it work out?
I haven't looked into it further, i.e. doing a straight controller shift from Vera to a 45600, and then back. (I suspect I'd just restore a backup made just before shifting the primary role from Vera to the remote.)

Offline khyizang

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 08:57:48 pm »
Is there a danger that restoring info from a backup would overwrite the info just transferred from the 45600?  Seems like it might, but then, I'm quite new at all this.  Lots to learn.

Even though I've just started, I'm reluctant to risk losing what's been gained so far.  I've already got a sobering amount of time invested in setting this thing up.  I'd hate to have to start over. 

I've looked at the backup.  It appears to be binary and/or encrypted.  Consequently, I can't tell what is and is not contained in that sucker.  If I could verify it's contents, I'd be much bolder.  And I'd be even bolder still if there were a report or two that someone had actually given this a try and lived to tell the tale.

The carrot in this scenario is that these items are going for about $6@ on Amazon right now.  That's an irresistible price for a Z wave remote, even if there are quirks that need to be overcome/lived with.

Offline kkl

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2012, 06:32:32 pm »
I have to agree with other poster's frustration with the UI.  I am a new user and cannot believe how unintuitive that UI5 is.  I have a couple of GE/Jasco 45600 remotes and didn't even know it was possible to transfer scenes from MCV/UI5 to them.  Just try to find anything in the MIOS documentation related to this.  Thank goodness for the forum.  After spending a lot of time reading through posts on the topic, I gave it a go and finally figured out how to do it.  The hardest part was trying to figure out where you setup the Trigger (Event).  It's nicely buried.  The problem with this procedure is that you will lose your LIGHT and GROUP data from the remote.  They can be added afterward, but what a pain if you have to do this every time you want to transfer scenes.  Since you lose that data anyway, resetting the remote is the best way to avoid introducing problem.  So, here's the procedure I followed for transferring scenes from MCV Vera2 / UI5 to GE/Jasco 45600 remote.

NOTE:  There was a bug reported by automator.app, "UI5: Scene Controller Running Wrong Scene" (http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=9177.0), that is still present, making this whole procedure pretty useless.

WARNING:  This procedure will remove all settings from your 45600 remote including LIGHT and GROUP info.

Clear Remote and Include/Pair it to MCV:
   Delete the 45600 from UI5 if you have previously included it.  Also delete any scenes using it that you might have previously created.
   45600:  SETUP until both LEDs flash twice then enter 969
   Devices > Add Devices > Advanced Z-Wave devices/Add
   In the “battery operated handheld remotes” section, select “Add one”
   “Command was sent”/Close
   Immediately on 45600:  Hold SETUP until both LEDs flash twice then enter 967 (Green LED starts flashing rapidly)
   Watch the progress in the Info Panel at the top/middle of the window (scroll up).  You can accomplish the same thing by using the Z-wave button on the back.

Create Scene:
   Automation > New scene
   Give scene a name where the text entry box says “New scene”, leave the next box as “Immediate”, and select a room if you’d like.
   Configure the Lights as you’d like them to be for the scene.
   Click “Confirm changes” then “Save” (upper right)
   On “Save data” screen, click “Continue”

Create Trigger:
   Automation > Scenes
   Click the settings “wrench” for the desired scene
   At the top of the screen, select “Triggers”
   “Add trigger”
   Device dropdown:  select the name of your remote control
   What type of event is the trigger?  Select “A scene is activated”
   “Name for this trigger”:  enter name of your choice
   “Which scene number”:  enter scene number for the button you’d like to use on the remote
   Click “Confirm changes” then “Save” (upper right)
        On “Save data” screen, click “Continue”

Send settings to remote (have it available):
   Devices > Add Devices > Advanced Z-Wave devices/Add
   In the “battery operated handheld remotes” section, select “Add one”
   “Command was sent”/Close
   Immediately on 45600:  Hold SETUP until both LEDs flash twice then enter 967 (Green LED starts flashing rapidly)
   Watch the progress in the Info Panel at the top/middle of the window (scroll up).  You should see “Found an existing node” and “Transferring scenes” if the process works correctly.  The procedure is complete when “Server busy” is displayed.

I think it might be easier to set-up scenes in the 45600 itself and forget about this transfer process.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 07:16:51 pm by kkl »

Offline nicksandoval

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 04:39:37 am »
Help!

It is not working for me.  I can get the scenes to turn on but not off.

This is what I tried:
1) Add device as a Z-Wave Device --> hand held remote (secondary).  Also used the wizard under the first option.  It finds it no problem.

2) I Create a seen for the on event with a trigger on a button.  This works great.

3) Repeat step 1.

No dice, the off event does not work.  So I tried creating a scene for the off event by choosing "scene deactivation" under the trigger.  Still no luck.

One thing I should mention is that the end device is actually an Insteon device.  Using this method, I can get the device to turn on faithfully, but not turn off.