We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: any one using dimmers with dimmable LED bulbs?  (Read 41907 times)

Offline Les F

Re: any one using dimmers with dimmable LED bulbs?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 05:57:10 pm »

Don't wait too long... I just hit lowes and bought the last 3.  They say warm white, but are not as warm as the Philips 'yellow bulb'.   Haven't tried them on a wave dimmer yet.
Google+ http://bit.ly/2MAVlkR / Instagram: http://bit.ly/2lIcsFT / Pinterest http://bit.ly/2KCSYRm (Yes, Pinterest is for guys too! take a look)

Offline Haderak

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 12:13:29 am »
I am using three different Philps LED's on a Lutron dimmer. The most recent bulbs that I like are the 6E26R20 (Home Depot 6W R20 but only the 7W is listed on Home Depot now).

The others don't dim very low, these do, but they turn off at almost the end. They are bluer then the halogens I used to use, but I prefer a more white light, and not so yellow, so works for me. They also don't hum like the other two ones I have do.

I think the dimmer I have is probably less then optimal, but in general I like the Philips so far.

I was also thinking about trying the Pharos 300.

Offline djrobx

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 01:51:31 am »
I have a bunch of EcoSmart CREE floods, mostly run by GE/Jasco and ACT Z-wave dimmers.

In general they work great.  Far better than the dimmable CFLs ever did.

With this combination, they are extremely sensitive to noisy power.  They HATE CFLs, especially ones that are going south.    If they are being disturbed, they'll flicker at certain dim levels.   Now that I have mostly all LED lighting, it works pretty smoothly.

The EcoSmart LED bulbs (regular bulbs, I have the in a ceiling fan) from Home Depot have an annoying buzz when being dimmed.   No problems like this with the CREE floods.

Offline Haderak

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 09:32:03 pm »
For those that are using the Leviton, what model? Is it one of these?

RZI06-1LX
VRI06

I am going to try one but not sure which I should go with. Single pole is all I need for now.

Offline ballroller

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 10:19:53 pm »
I use the VRI06 and VRI10's. Great dimmers and will take my new PAR30 LED's almost all the way down (80-90%) before shutting off.

You will notice a big difference in dimming LED's- we are used to the color going from white to burnt orange in incandescents as they dim down. That will not happen with LED's and the dimming is not as noticeable because it stays white the entire time. It's really an odd sensation because we've all lived with the orange hue our entire lives. I am still not used to it as I actually enjoyed the color of a dimmed incandescent. It was very warm-the LED's are not even though mine is rated at 2800k.

I guess it takes getting used to...

Offline Intrepid

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 07:09:48 am »
Anyone used these from Lowes?  http://dealnews.com/lw/artclick.html?2,454589,1514232

These 40-watt Utilitech Dimmable LED's are only $9.98 each according to the flyer I just got in the mail.  I'd love to hear some opinions, I'm pondering the switch to LED for some fixtures and also have some GU10 on dimmers I'd like to replace, but these 40-watt models for $10 seem like a deal!

I bought a couple of these and installed one in a GE dimmer wall switch socket.  I thought all was well, as they went full off/dim/bright just fine.  But after about a half an hour, I saw enough flickering and dimming to make me take them back.

Offline ballroller

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 07:12:19 pm »
I have been testing a Cree CR6 for about 2 weeks now. This is one amazing piece of lighting. The color is as close to an incandescent as you can get, and the dimming is very smooth with no flickering with my Leviton switches. And most importantly, it passed with flying colors the approval of not only my wife, but our friend the interior decorator also! So much so that she wants some for herself when the prices come down a bit (currently around $50).

This unit is very easy to retrofit into a standard 6 inch ceiling can. Took me about 1 minute.

I am kicking myself in the hindquarters that I missed Home Depot's matching price option from Boston. At $19, I would have replaced all of them in my home.

Offline mitch672

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 11:23:19 pm »
I am kicking myself in the hindquarters that I missed Home Depot's matching price option from Boston. At $19, I would have replaced all of them in my home.

They are now $29.99 in the Boston area Home Depots, thought I would update everyone, in case you want to see if they'll match the current price.  I guess they figured out that $20 was too low.

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 12:51:58 pm »
Anyone used these from Lowes?  http://dealnews.com/lw/artclick.html?2,454589,1514232

These 40-watt Utilitech Dimmable LED's are only $9.98 each according to the flyer I just got in the mail.  I'd love to hear some opinions, I'm pondering the switch to LED for some fixtures and also have some GU10 on dimmers I'd like to replace, but these 40-watt models for $10 seem like a deal!

I bought a couple of these and installed one in a GE dimmer wall switch socket.  I thought all was well, as they went full off/dim/bright just fine.  But after about a half an hour, I saw enough flickering and dimming to make me take them back.

This was also my experience also... in fact slightly worse in that on the lowest setting, it would flash on and off :( I guess you get what you pay for!
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline ballroller

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 01:17:54 pm »
Thanks for the heads-up. I think I will go to my local Home Depot and see if they'll match the price. If so, I will buy these now.

Thanks!

They are now $29.99 in the Boston area Home Depots, thought I would update everyone, in case you want to see if they'll match the current price.  I guess they figured out that $20 was too low.

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 04:57:53 pm »
Bit the bullet this morning, and bought 10x of the "40w equiv" Utilitech's from Lowes per the postings above.

I've got them in two different configs:

• 1x LED Bulb, controlled by the Switch leg of my Leviton VRCS4-MRX Scene+Switch (Relay Control)
    This works fine, and replaces a 23W CFL.  It's very bright, and as others have noted, very directional - especially with the large (heavy) Heatsink on the bottom.
  • 4x LED Bulbs, controlled by Leviton VRI06 Dimmer (Grounded if I recall)
    This dims really well, until you get to the "last two" steps on the dimmer.  At that point it runs more-or-less fine, but I've seen it "pulse" slightly brighter, maybe one in 30 seconds, but not predictable.  I never dimmed the regular bulbs down to that level anyhow, since they used to buzz.
    These replace 4x 65w GE Bulbs, and the light is noticeably a "whiter" color temp than those.  Will run for a few days to see how they go (and for WAF)

On full whack, these things are very bright.  It'll be interesting to see how well they fair at night time.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2011, 08:19:35 pm »
  • 4x LED Bulbs, controlled by Leviton VRI06 Dimmer (Grounded if I recall)
    This dims really well, until you get to the "last two" steps on the dimmer.  At that point it runs more-or-less fine, but I've seen it "pulse" slightly brighter, maybe one in 30 seconds, but not predictable.  I never dimmed the regular bulbs down to that level anyhow, since they used to buzz.
    [...]
    On full whack, these things are very bright.  It'll be interesting to see how well they fair at night time.
Was wondering about that; thanks. You could tweak your VRI06's to not go down that low (and up). And I think it even maps Z-Wave dimmer commands to within the range set on the dimmer.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline anthonyris

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2011, 11:17:01 pm »
Those Philips AmbientLED lamps are a treat. Finally and LED I can stand to look at... Bought 1 to test, then 6 more the very next week.

However, I'm using one in a floor lamp controlled by one of the RadioShack clearance GE Dimmers (45606). At full brightness, it goes Disco and pulses repeatedly.

**Wondering if I can set the Max Brightness of the GE dimmer? Seems like at 90% it works fine. To be precise, it pulses at 97% brightness.

UPDATE: I added an additional lamp to the load, and the pulsing no longer happens. With the Philips bulb by itself, it pulses with the GE dimmer.

.//A.

I have the Phillips orange 60w equivalent LED bulbs. I installed one in one of a pair of bedroom lamps, with the other lamp having the old 60w incadescent. At full brightness, I believe most people would have a problem identifying which was which.

The dimming rate is different between the incadescent and the LED, and the light output color is different at lower power (the incadescent gets more yellower than the LED does when dimmed). Not a problem in my opinion, except that you would not want to mix and match incadescent and LED on the same dimmer (I got a second Phillips for the other lamp).

The dimmer is a ZWave lamp module from Intermatic.

I got my bulbs by mail order from Polar Ray in Colorado.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:07:39 am by anthonyris »
Vera3x2, Leviton, GE dimmers, relays and lamp modules, Sonos, Nests...

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2011, 12:03:55 am »
**Wondering if I can set the Max Brightness of the GE dimmer?
Not that I know of. Perhaps you could artificially limit it with Luup (i.e. set it back when it goes over / something along the lines of the thermostat min/max plug-in). Probably would never be foolproof though, as the GE's don't report status.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline Intrepid

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2011, 06:46:42 am »
I've been searching for some cheap LEDs.  They need to work/dim with my GE wall switches.

I tried the Lowes's Utilitech brand ($10 on sale earlier this year) but they flickered randomly.

I was in Home Depot yesterday and I noticed they had dropped the price on the Ecosmart 40w bright white A19 LED bulbs from $15 to $10 (looks like a permanent price drop).  I picked up 2 to try and they seem to work great!  They act just like an incandescent, just not quite as bright as the 60s they replaced.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/lighting-fans/light-bulbs/ecosmart/led-a19-40-watt-equivalent-light-bulb-39632.html

I think I'll pick up a few more for some high-usage hall lights and lamps.  I like the energy savings, but I'm mainly interested in longer life.  Some of my fixtures are a pain to change, and it seems like I'm having to replace an incandescent every couple of weeks.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 06:52:28 am by Intrepid »