We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: any one using dimmers with dimmable LED bulbs?  (Read 41894 times)

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
Re: any one using dimmers with dimmable LED bulbs?
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2013, 01:32:50 pm »
I'll have to pick one or two up on my next visit to Home Depot in the next few days. The blue tint you are referring to is most likely the phosphorus that is used to create it's color and temp.
They explain the blue tint in their FAQ:
    http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/Lighting/Lamps/Bulb/TWseriesFAQ.pdf

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2013, 01:36:53 pm »
I have many VRI-06's around the house that could use the LED's. The VRI-06's that do have LED's in them have four or more tied to the switch and operate normal as the minimum load is met. So if these work as good in a single light, I will be a happy camper. $18 isn't bad, but not sure what my local home depot is selling them for (e.g. power company discounts). Considering I spend 30+ per bulb a few years ago.

- Garrett

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2013, 01:39:35 pm »
I  have been using Ecosmart led's (over 1 year) that have been designed for dimming. Same setup/observations as @guessed.

I had two bulbs go out already.   So much for the long life! I think the power supplies are the limiting factor.
Interesting.  I've had ~10x HD Utilitech LED's in service for about 2.5yrs now, all on Leviton VRI-06 dimmers, and they all still work perfectly.  With these newer Cree bulbs, they seem to have sorted out the minor dimming issues I'd noted in my original post:
    http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,6074.msg41244.html#msg41244

The color temp on the Cree's is a lot nicer though.  I did a side-by-side substitution and ran with it for a few hours before I switched them over.

The Cree bulbs have a 10yr limited warranty, you just need to keep the PoP, Receipt etc:
    http://www.creebulb.com/warranty

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2013, 01:54:33 pm »
Also, what is the difference besides wattage between these and the similar but cheaper 9.5watt Cree, that I have also found to have excellent color and dimmability?
The cheaper Cree model uses different LED's, and a different coating.  They have a lower CRI (80, IIRC).  I specifically chose these newer Cree TW Series bulbs to replace the 6x Incandescents in the Master Bathroom.  Given this is where the Mrs does her makeup (etc)... well, you know the story, as a side-effect I tested them in places where I had dimmers, and ended up getting a bunch more.

I've been waiting for Cree's TW Series to come out for a while now, since they've had great early reviews.

There are reports that the older Cree 9.5W models also had the coating burn partially and some had the cover fall off into their sink.

Presumably that's where people are using them for longer-duty cycles that I'd be using them, and Cree's had a while to address any issues there.