Author Topic: Z-Wave chime, door bell, annunciation  (Read 818 times)

Offline JohnRob

Z-Wave chime, door bell, annunciation
« on: February 25, 2018, 06:04:19 pm »
Hi,

I'm trying to purchase a Z-Wave chime or bell.   I want it be heard while I am in the shower with the device in the same room.

I've read nearly all the reviews on the the current offerings and found complaints they were too soft in many cases the siren types would blast your ears.

• Aeon Labs ZW056 Doorbell
  • ZOOZ Z-WAVE PLUS SMART CHIME
  • Dome Home Automation DMS01
  • GoControl Z-Wave Siren and Strobe, WA105DBZ-1
  • etc

I was thinking of trying the GoControl and physically covering the opening to reduce the sound but I'm not sure that would provide what I am looking for.

Does anyone have experience with a similar goal?

Thanks

Online Don Phillips

Re: Z-Wave chime, door bell, annunciation
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 06:16:52 pm »
I have read of some folks making announcements on speakers, like a Sonos system, when the door bell is pressed. You could program Vera to blink the lights in the bathroom as well.
Vera 3, 1.7.1030, CT101, Everspring motion sensor, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, Weatherunderground, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa

Offline HSD99

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 06:46:28 pm »
I have the Dome mounted near the front door---it can be heard all over the house. I would think you would hear it in the same room, even with the shower running.

Offline kartcon

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 07:30:39 pm »
Using the Aeon doorbell, I have fully documented my setup here: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,50540.msg335250.html#msg335250. Of note, using any audio editing software, the user can raise or lower the output volume of any sound byte they choose for the door annunciator. I found a nice mellow electronic bing-bong that suits out home perfectly, and simply modified the volume until my wife was happy. Happy wife = happy life.

Offline JohnRob

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 12:38:18 am »
Thanks to all for the input.

@HSD99, do you recall the volume setting you are using for the Dome?  When I first looked at the Dome I read the word Siren and likened it to the ones we have in work that literally drive you out of the building.   I see you are 3 for 3 in helping me out,  Many thanks.

John

Offline HSD99

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 08:27:35 am »
Thanks to all for the input.

@HSD99, do you recall the volume setting you are using for the Dome?  When I first looked at the Dome I read the word Siren and likened it to the ones we have in work that literally drive you out of the building.   I see you are 3 for 3 in helping me out,  Many thanks.

John
John,

The Dome has a primary siren, which is the typical electronic warning sound you'd expect. It has 3 user-selectable volume levels: low, medium, and high. I use the primary set to high, which is spec'd at ~80 dB; I have it set to trigger when the smoke alarms go off. This is a battery-powered device (AA, I think), so it won't have the volume of an AC-powered device. Dome Siren documentation is here: https://docs.domeha.com/#configuration-command-class-parameters20 .

The dome has 10 preset chime sounds. You can also set low, medium and high volume, number of times to repeat, etc. You can actually choose any of the sounds to be your primary. Dome supplies a chime device plug-in when you add the Dome Siren to your Vera that lets you pick your sound in a scene. If you want to change volume, etc., for that scene only you'll need to do it with LUUP code. All the parameters are under "Device Options," so you can make global changes there. So far I've been happy with the defaults. We use a pleasant chime sound, for example, when someone approaches the house during the day; this is switched to a more urgent sound at night. A different sound is played when the postal mail is delivered, and so forth.

I realize that some folks prefer a device that allows them to upload their own tones/music, or use a Sonus or other similar system to provide audible feedback and alerts. For my purposes, the Dome has been ideal. It included without a hitch and the supplied chime tones are well-done.

Offline Selkirk

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 05:30:15 pm »
I got the Dome for status chimes. 

I had a difficult time pairing it unless it was very close to the Vera.  1 ft away succeeds and 5ft away fails.  After pairing, I've had it go inactive several times and had to reset and re-pair.  I haven't had any pairing trouble with my other z-wave devices (Leviton & Aeotec).  I don't think the radio is as good as my other devices or is more sensitive to interference.  Or I got a bad one.  Or I don't know what I'm doing.  I don't know which it is.

If I leave it on the shelf next to the Vera and it pairs and works great.

The battery life isn't what I might like.  I may be using it more often than it was intended to be used.

The default volume is perfect for me, but I'm in a 900 sqft apartment.  I can hear it everywhere inside, but not outside my unit and the tones are not obtrusive.

I think I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather have a powered chime.  I was going to wait for the Aeotech Siren 6 came out to replace it, since I don't want or need the button on their doorbell device and am interested in their USB mp3 chime upload function.

Offline kartcon

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 08:42:23 pm »
Aeon Doorbell is a plug in device and works great as a door annunciator. See my earlier response in this thread.

Offline Selkirk

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 03:56:46 pm »
Because the Dome Siren is considered by Vera to be a security device, when you pair it, it looks like Vera will add it to your house modes and have it automatically trip the siren under "What to do if an armed sensor trips?" will be turn the siren on.  It also looks like adding a motion sensor or door sensor or "security sensor" will automatically add that to the house mode scenes as armed under "Choose sensors to arm."

And viola, instant home security behavior, wanted or not.

Anyway, figured this out after a frantic call from the house cleaner.

Another vote, I guess for a using a "doorbell" instead of a "siren" for chimes, etc.