Author Topic: My ongoing love/hate relationship with remotes  (Read 5021 times)

Offline mbairhead

My ongoing love/hate relationship with remotes
« on: March 30, 2011, 08:16:53 am »
Someone please tell me that this isn't just me or that there's an easy and obvious fix to my issues with iPhone remotes.

iVera - it's greatest strength to me is it automatically loads all my devices, scenes, cameras, thermostats, locks etc. If I do it on the web site it shows up here and that's great. Its biggest downfall is it crashes....EVERY TIME. I'm not exaggerating, I can run one or two scenes then it start searching and losses communication with my Vera...OR...it just crashes. It doesn't matter if it's on my local network or on 3G, same thing every single time.

SQ Remote - Wow...super flexible, always connects, always works (except with the puck but that's another issue). It's biggest downside is it needs constant attention. Vera has a nasty habit of losing switches or scenes need updated or news scenes are created and SQ Remote then needs these things added. It then (and this one kills me) leaves the old one as an option! So if you need to re-connect a switch, say your living room fan, you have to figure out which one is actually there in the list and which one is a ghost. The easiest way of doing this is to give it another unique name but there's only so many things you can reasonably call a ceiling fan in your living room. That is easily the dumbest thing I've ever seen a UI developer do. I've had to rebuild my Vera twice now, which means I've had to COMPLETELY rebuild SQ Remote twice. I have stopped using it because my house has about 150 z-wave devices now and I'm constantly trying to figure out which ones in the list are actually devices in my house.

Trick TV - Doesn't see my Vera, no idea why
**edit** actually Trick TV sees my Vera, it just doesn't load my devices.

Automator app. - I just heard about this today, will try it tonight when I get home.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:45:34 am by mbairhead »

Offline JOD

Re: My ongoing love/hate relationship with remotes
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 10:18:36 am »
Someone please tell me that this isn't just me or that there's an easy and obvious fix to my issues with iPhone remotes.

iVera - it's greatest strength to me is it automatically loads all my devices, scenes, cameras, thermostats, locks etc. If I do it on the web site it shows up here and that's great. Its biggest downfall is it crashes....EVERY TIME. I'm not exaggerating, I can run one or two scenes then it start searching and losses communication with my Vera...OR...it just crashes. It doesn't matter if it's on my local network or on 3G, same thing every single time.

I can comment on iVera. It crashes for me too and has since last year, I gave up on it. I dont believe the iVera builds have been updated in a long time.

JOD.
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

Offline SquareConnectMat

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 01:55:37 pm »
@mbairhead

It is fairly straight forward to 'refresh' and get rid of ghost devices:

1) back up configuration to box.net
2) delete the control system configuration for that Vera unit  (or delete the entire app and reinstall)
3) download the backup from box.net

Only Devices that are currently known to Vera will be restored. Controls that were linked to 'ghosts' will be unassigned.

SQ remote links vera device id's to controls. When we first built SQ Remote, we had many beta testers complain fiercely when a device, for whatever reason, temporarily disappeared from the Vera configuration, causing SQ Remote to lose its links... I think it was at a time when the beta versions of Vera firmware were loosing devices a lot <grin>

We felt that the work around shown above is a reasonable approach, as relatively few people have requested a specific feature to do this.. we are a small company, and try to balance requests from customers against resources we have to work on the application... Given that it should be fairly infrequent and it is not really more than a few minutes work to do the above, we felt we could focus on more often requested features...

Mat

Offline shady

• This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 04:29:40 pm »
Same problems with iVera here in my tests.  I just used in Beta testing and thought it could be a good portrait-oriented app, spefically I liked the Pan, Tilt button in the camera controls, but after only a few pans or tilts it would crash.  I also had trouble determining the best setting to leave it on for remote access, it seems I had to play with that alot.

With SQ Remote, using the Backup option is great and should be used religiously when major changes are made.  As it is with Backing up in general, I am not always on top of it and usually forget.  But some backups are better than none, of course.  With SQ Remote I have never had issues with connecting remotely, which is great.  I just tested connection from Shanghai, China and even with their censorship it connected fine (I didn't wake up my wife to help me time the internet latency to turn on a light).

TrickTV app still works for me, I believe I just used the Mios Login to set it up.  I think you'd be happy with that if you can get it to work.
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline wmilsted

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 12:41:46 am »
@mbairhead

We added a feature a while back, based upon feedback from you, that should help you identify these ghost devices.  You might want to check that it's working for you, that was our intent.  In the list of devices on the Setup --> MiOS Systems and Devices screen, ghost devices should show up with the word "Missing", in red instead of "Media Device" or "UpNp" in blue.  This will hopefully enable you to locate and delete these missing devices.

Thanks,

Wayne

Offline mbairhead

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 07:32:13 am »
@mbairhead

We added a feature a while back, based upon feedback from you, that should help you identify these ghost devices.  You might want to check that it's working for you, that was our intent.  In the list of devices on the Setup --> MiOS Systems and Devices screen, ghost devices should show up with the word "Missing", in red instead of "Media Device" or "UpNp" in blue.  This will hopefully enable you to locate and delete these missing devices.

Thanks,

Wayne

I was just in my remote last night and I had ghost devices that weren't marked. I will re-sync my phone and see if I get an update. If that is in fact the case you guys will get a 90+% from me! I love how easy it connects and works, this was (and has been) my biggest issue, so thank you for listening.

While I have your ear :D I know the Puck will technically work in Vera but it's still a bit (LOT) of work to get it to....any movement to make it integrate more seamlessly? I know that's not really your job but I was hoping the people actually doing the coding might be giving you some feedback on progress. And since I'm asking, I might as well ask them all (in the wrong place)...iPad version? Vertical orientation option? Web site to build out the remote?

Offline SquareConnectMat

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 08:39:49 pm »
While I have your ear :D I know the Puck will technically work in Vera but it's still a bit (LOT) of work to get it to....any movement to make it integrate more seamlessly? I know that's not really your job but I was hoping the people actually doing the coding might be giving you some feedback on progress.

We have not heard from MCV about the official plugin for a while... I suspect that @Guessed plugin has filled the gap "good enough" and so the 'official' plugin was put on a back burner... I think some lobbying by users is required.

And since I'm asking, I might as well ask them all (in the wrong place)...iPad version? Vertical orientation option? Web site to build out the remote?

iPad - I have seen working code... so I know it is in the development code base ... I know John and Wayne do not want to give any dates out, as things have a habit of not always going to plan, and they hate to disappoint.

Vertical orientation - We hear the occasional request... but apparently this is quite hard to do for our application and I suspect we need some sort of campaign from the user base to motivate us... We have thousands of users, and we don't get that many requests for portrait... Perhaps if we heard from all those who would buy the product if it was portrait... or multiple  requests from existing users...

On 'web site': We have a desk top designer that is almost ready to go to beta, which I think will satisfy the needs implied by what you are asking. You can pretty much do everything you can in SQ Remote, plus you can cut and paste, use a template library, import and export custom devices etc etc. I think if you have a lkarge installation, or you are an installer, this will be a great tool.

Offline fall-line

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 12:01:32 pm »
I for one am very interested in the desktop designer application you mention. Is it going to be cross platform? 

Offline SquareConnectMat

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 01:10:45 pm »
I for one am very interested in the desktop designer application you mention. Is it going to be cross platform? 

Yes it works on Windows, Mac and Linux.

Offline mbairhead

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 10:57:20 am »
@mbairhead

Thanks,

Wayne

Super upgrade guys...thank you. Worked as expected!