Author Topic: Hunter Douglas DBMZ with 24V polarity reversal sensing relay?  (Read 10680 times)

Offline confuserated

Hi all,

I'm considering using a HD DBMZ motor controller but its current loading seems a little low for my requirements so I wondered if anyone had used one of these with a 24V relay that can sense the polarity reversal and do likewise on it's outputs?

Any help greatfully received.

Offline confuserated

2 x r12V relays?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 07:27:05 am »
It seems most relays available are 12V and look like at least one set of contacts is normally closed so I wondered if it makes sense to put two12V  relays in series on a 24V power supply (from the DBMZ) wired alterntaley on the outputs so that on no power (not energised) nothing is output?

edit - oh never mind, I've found a site with loads of 24V changeover relays on it...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 07:35:07 am by confuserated »

Offline huogas

Re: Hunter Douglas DBMZ with 24V polarity reversal sensing relay?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 07:58:08 am »
 ;)...and the winner site and product are ...?
Vera2 UI4(1.1.1245/3.2), Kwikset x1, HM-DW001 x1, ZRP100 x1, HA-04WD x1, ZDP100 x6, HSM100 x2, VRI06-1LX x8, ZW5301 x1, HM-FS001 x2, ZRW103W x1, GE 45606 x2, HA05C x1, TED5000 x1

Offline confuserated

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 09:24:26 am »
well, the difficulty is deciphering the product jargon as some sites label relays differently but what I think we are looking for here is a DPDT NO relay, which means Dual Pole Dual Throw Normally Open, as opposed to what I first thought which was a Changeover relay, which on most sites means that one set of contacts is left Normally Closed.

Unless you can find a 2 Changeover (or 2  C/O or 2 CO) with 4 NO (4 Normally Open) contacts.

Depending on your load requirements your needs may vary but this one seems to work for me;

http://uk.farnell.com/tyco-electronics-axicom/v23105a5005a201/relay-pcb-dpdt-24vdc/dp/1608361

although you can see that it doesn't state it is NO (Normally Open), whereas this one might be better;

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SR509.html

I have posted a question to the supplier for more details as I am uncomfortable recommending any of these without verifying first.

Offline confuserated

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 12:52:27 pm »
It appears I am bonkers and such a thing does not exist.  :(

I haven't managed to find ANY relays that will make different contacts based on which polarity is energising the coil.

There's defintiely a gap in the market here  ;D

The only other route it seems is to use some horribly expensive Somfy gear with an RTS to serial/USB converter, which seems horribly complicated to me, especially since I had this really simple and elegant solution in mind.

If anyone else has any solutions I haven't thought of I'd be very grateful...

Offline shady

• Beta Testers
  • This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 02:34:55 pm »
I have experience with the DBMZ and ABMHZ and several other Z-Wave tubular shade motor controllers (hence the name Shady).  Are you trying to cook up your own motorized blinds using unconventional motors? (just trying to understand what you are trying to do)

These motor controllers are for motors with internal mechanical limits, BTW.  When you say energize the coil you are talking about the coil in the motor correct?  What I don't understand is the motor controller dictates what polarity is being sent through the coil to operate the DC motor in both directions, but you want the relays/controller to react to a change in the coil polarity?  How would that change in polarity occur without the relays doing it?

Sorry if I don't understand, but I might be able to answer specific questions about the DBMZ.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't put 2 and 2 together and figure out you were using them for the motorized window motors from your other post.  The DBMZ, says it  "Allows for total switched load of up to 2 Amps at 27VDC."  I know ESI posts conservative figures and the relays can probably handle more amps.

http://www.elec-solutions.com/products/z-wave/dbmz.html
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 02:55:27 pm by shady »
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline confuserated

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 03:20:02 pm »
are they relays? are you sure it's not solid state?

How about 4A ? Not taking into account start up load of course, so I'm a bit dubious about using them to run three motors at once and I don't want to buy one for each motor, it's already getting a bit too pricey.

I don't suppose any of the Somfy units can act as a slave to any 24V driver?

Offline shady

• Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 03:31:53 pm »
Hmmm, I left my DBMZ sample at home as I was doing some testing with Vera.  When I get home later I can open it up and read right off of the relay ( I am assuming relays because all of their controllers AC or DC are based off of that design ).  Their other non-Z-Wave programmable DC motor controller uses these relays:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Song-Chuan/833H-1C-S-12VDC/?qs=Me3ZrpFQdnzTJnNcagt%252bNw%3D%3D

so it may be that the DBMZ is using them too as the ABMHZ parallels ESI's other AC motor controllers.  I'll check tonight and post back.

edit: or you can call ESI directly

Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline confuserated

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 03:57:21 pm »
you are a gem. thanks very much.

If it is that relay then I guess the only other limiting factor is how the 24V rail is routed through the device and whether it is via any current limiting components  ;D

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 09:10:16 pm »
You can easily amplify the signal with two 24 volt relays....I can draw you a diagram if you are interested.
Regards
Tim

Offline shady

• Beta Testers
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 11:19:25 pm »
I had a chance to open the DBMZ and it does have smaller relays, presumably to fit enclosure. 
Relay Info:

Zettler
AZ952-1CM-5DSE

According to this .PDF it is medium duty and max amps is 3A:
http://www.azettler.com/pdfs/az951.pdf

Offline confuserated

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 05:18:19 am »
You can easily amplify the signal with two 24 volt relays....I can draw you a diagram if you are interested.
Regards
Tim

Are you sure it's possible as the output reverses polarity based on the desired direction of the motor

I had a little think about doing that and got a headache!

Offline confuserated

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 05:20:26 am »
I had a chance to open the DBMZ and it does have smaller relays, presumably to fit enclosure. 
Relay Info:

Zettler
AZ952-1CM-5DSE

According to this .PDF it is medium duty and max amps is 3A:
http://www.azettler.com/pdfs/az951.pdf

Thanks Shady, much appreciated. I guess at the worst I could at least get away with just two of them.

Thanks again

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 11:16:49 am »
It is really simple if you have access to a common ground.....it only requires two 24 volt relays....if all you have access to is the two wires you will also need two switching diodes to complete the ground circuit.
Shady may have a more professional solution but this can be your backup.....let me know and i will post a schematic.
Regards
Tim

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 05:24:11 pm »
Here is the circuit I described....
Regards
Tim
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 05:30:07 pm by TimAlls »