Author Topic: Hunter Douglas DBMZ with 24V polarity reversal sensing relay?  (Read 10682 times)

Offline confuserated

Re: Hunter Douglas DBMZ with 24V polarity reversal sensing relay?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 01:58:00 am »
Thanks Tim,

How would that work if I didn't have a common ground but just two outputs which could either be positive or negative? Would I have to use diodes?  Are ones that can handle 24V difficult to get hold of?

Many thanks,

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 10:55:49 am »
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062591
These are six amp general purpose diodes rated at 50 volts.
You will need to tie the relay ground back to the opposite leg to complete the ground. By adding the diode in line (watch the polarity on the diode) you block the reverse polarity from triggering the relay every time.
I can add it to the diagram if that is hard to visualize.
Regards
Tim Alls

Offline confuserated

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 11:53:06 am »
Thanks Tim,

Much appreciated, I think I understand what you are describing, I'll probably end up testing everything fifty or so time with a voltmeter before connecting it all together so don't worry.

Best regards

Offline confuserated

ABMHZ instead
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 05:52:14 am »
Hi All,

Just in case anyone is interested I think I'm going to go with the HD ABMHZ instead as it has a three wire output which I can use to control two 24V power supplies (found some el cheapos online).

Will let you know how I get on with them when they arrive.

Thanks

Offline shady

• Beta Testers
  • This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 01:18:32 pm »
Just in case anyone is interested I think I'm going to go with the HD ABMHZ instead as it has a three wire output which I can use to control two 24V power supplies (found some el cheapos online).

The ABMHZ is an AC 110V (also available in 220V 50Hz if specified) so it takes 3-Wire AC power in and outputs 4-Wire Bi-Directional AC Power out.  I am not sure you can find a way to make that work with 24VDC Motors.  It is made to be used with standard 4-Wire tubular motors with internal limits.  One of the 110VAC power outs turns the motor clockwise and the other 110VAC power out turns the motor counter-clockwise and each is switch by a relay that cannot be operated independently.

Maybe you can correct the order and get the DBMZ ordered or was it just a typo?
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline confuserated

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 05:27:10 am »
Thanks, not it wasn't a typo. I was assuming it was not bidirection 2 wire AC as how could that work?! :O)

What that will give me is one set of AC lines that will turn on or another unconnected set? So, I can connect those up to two separate DC 24V power supplies and put some diodes on the outputs of those to make sure they don't feedback into each other when I connect them together and power the polarity reversing DC window motors (with internal limits as well). That should work shouldn't it? It just gets me around having to use more than one DBMZ and I can use a couple of relatively cheap DC power supplies (found some for £20), plus we won't have the DC power supplies running all the time so standby should be even better (something I notice that is not mentioned on the sheet that compares them to the Somfy solution)