We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Battery Low notifications  (Read 43106 times)

Offline FlyBoyBob

Battery Low notifications
« on: April 04, 2011, 01:10:57 pm »
I have several battery-operated devices and have attempted in several ways to get email notifications on a low battery - nothing seems to work.

First of all - the same sensor (a 3-in-1 in this example) triggers events for light level and motion that send emails to me - every day right now as test.

I have a battery that is failing quickly in a 3-in-1 and have set several ways for it to notify me. For instance it was 47% this morning so I set notification events in the Notification tab of the _Light Sensor, _Motion Sensor, and _Temperature Sensor devices for "battery level goes below 46%". I also set up a scene for this device, exactly the same as other aspects (ie light, temp, motion) which work. The battery level is now 45% and no emails, no nothing.

Also - the "Fire warning event when battery is below:" field on the Settings tab of the main device does nothing for me = entering a value does not cause a red Save notice on the Dashboard, and returning to the tab shows a blank field again.

Any pointers/advise/sympathy appreciated
bob

Offline FlyBoyBob

Re: Battery Low notifications
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 10:59:59 am »
Bumping this back to the top of the list....

Has *anyone* gotten low battery notifications of any kind working on *any* device(s)?

I did a Search, no results that helped. This seems to me to be a very basic HA requirement(?)

Thanks in advance for any help,
bob

Offline FIST

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 11:55:24 am »
Look at Ap15e's great addition, ADD:
Alerter for Drowsy Devices

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=5130.0

It works great.
Vera2 UI4 (1.1.1186), 3xVRI06, 1xVRI10, 4xVRS05, 3xVRS15, 2x VRF01, 5xVRP03, 2xTrane Therm, 2xAeon Labs Door/Window Sensor, 1xHSM100, 2xACT ZIR000, 1xForrezZ WWA-01, 2xGE 45613, 5x GE45606, 4xGE 45605, 2xGE 45604, 5xGE 45603, 4xGE 45602, 2xKwikset Deadbolts..

Offline FlyBoyBob

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 01:58:02 pm »

Thank you "FIST" for your reply, but I don't think it applies to my situation. I have a number of battery operated Zwave devices, as I'm sure everyone does, and they are all very responsive to the wake-up intervals I set for them, and they all report accurate and timely data.

My problem is that I can set Notifications for lighting, temperature, humidity, etc readings going above or below a specified value. I get emails when I request them in the Event, everything works fine (most of the time). But I have never gotten a Low Battery notification even when set up the exact same way, on any device. The battery levels displayed on my Mios screen are accurate and timely, but NEVER trigger an event.

I was simply asking if anyone has ever made battery low notifications, or events, work.

bob

Offline FlyBoyBob

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 04:18:35 pm »
Here is a test on a 3-in-1 sensor. I set 2 Notifications on the _Temperature Sensor device:

Notification Battery level goes below
Name Upstairs Temperature Sensor battery low
undefined 47
Notify  ME

Notification Temperature goes below
Name Upstairs Temperature sensor below 67
temperature:  67
Notify  ME

...when the battery level was 48% and the temperature was 68F. The temperature dropped to 66 and I got an email. The battery level is now 40% and NO email.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone?  :-\

Offline JOD

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 09:00:51 pm »
"Fire warning event when battery is below:" is broken.

http://bugs.micasaverde.com/view.php?id=1303

JOD.
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

Offline FlyBoyBob

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 09:09:00 pm »
"Fire warning event when battery is below:" is broken.

http://bugs.micasaverde.com/view.php?id=1303

JOD.

Thank you for replying JOD,

I noted that the ""Fire warning event when battery is below:" is broken" in my first post, it doesn't even Save a value.

My question is "does anyone have a battery low notification" by *any* means "working?". Even the notification event above that triggers on temperature levels or light levels every time does not work if it tests battery level.

Does anyone know why please?
bob

Offline JOD

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 10:33:24 pm »
I noted that the ""Fire warning event when battery is below:" is broken" in my first post, it doesn't even Save a value.
Actually you stated it did nothing for you; not that it was broken for everyone.
"Fire warning event when battery is below:" field on the Settings tab of the main device does nothing for me = entering a value does not cause a red Save notice on the Dashboard, and returning to the tab shows a blank field again.
My question is "does anyone have a battery low notification" by *any* means "working?"

FIST suggested you look at AP15e's ADD
Quote from: FIST on Today at 07:55:24 am

Thank you "FIST" for your reply, but I don't think it applies to my situation.
I'm not sure what else applies to your situation then. AP15e's ADD is the only other battery reporting available that I know of and the only one that works.
Good luck.

JOD.

Offline FlyBoyBob

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 07:59:06 am »
Actually you stated it did nothing for you; not that it was broken for everyone.
My question is "does anyone have a battery low notification" by *any* means "working?"

FIST suggested you look at AP15e's ADD

I'm not sure what else applies to your situation then. AP15e's ADD is the only other battery reporting available that I know of and the only one that works.
Good luck.

JOD.

It does nothing for me, it is broken for me, it is broken for everyone. Thanks for clearing that up!

My "situation" is that I would like to (actually I need to) get a notification when a battery operated device's battery level is low. The battery level information is accurate, timely, and available through several means. Getting it to trigger an event seems impossible.

The "Fire warning event when battery is below:" box on the devices doesn't work, we've cleared that up, it's well documented, and I see it is assigned to you JOD to fix, last year. How's that going? (with all due respect, I know you guy's are volunteering your time and we all appreciate it)

I tried using method #2 = the drop-down on the Notification tab - that works for any level except battery level.

I tried Luup code to test the battery level - the same code that tests light level and works fine - does not work with battery level.

I tried AP15's ADD code - it fails with the "bad Lua code" message if copied directly from the document. After fixing that - it froze my Vera for several minutes which is a bad thing since I am not anywhere near the reset switch. Even if it could work it is noted in the thread that it does not send to gmail addresses so it is not an option for me.

I acknowledge that some brave programmers without gmail smtp servers and a lot of extra time on their hands have got it working, but I was looking for something a bit more what-I-paid-for.  ::)

Just looking for some constructive ideas here, but thanks for the response. My quoted question above still waits for an answer...

bob

Offline JOD

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 11:32:27 am »

The "Fire warning event when battery is below:" box on the devices doesn't work, we've cleared that up, it's well documented, and I see it is assigned to you JOD to fix, last year. How's that going?
Did you get into the Kool-Aid ?
I'm your Huckleberry, I'll get working on it for you right after lunch. 

JOD.

Offline myhomeserver

• http://www.MyZwave.net
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 11:48:35 am »

The "Fire warning event when battery is below:" box on the devices doesn't work, we've cleared that up, it's well documented, and I see it is assigned to you JOD to fix, last year. How's that going?

JOD.

Slacker :)  While you're at it, can you fix my event issues with one of my schlage deadbolts :)
MyZWave.net - See Our Z-Wave product Reviews
(formerly MyHomeServer)

Offline JOD

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 11:59:58 am »
@myhomeserver,

Your Schlage lock event issue is on the event horizon to be fixed. Maybe I'll get to it after a few beers tonight.  ;D
Slacker indeed...  ;)

JOD.

Offline pgrover516

• Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 12:45:09 pm »

JOD.
hahaha, I told you a while back that you should be on the payroll John! and when you finish those beers figure out why the only usefull battery info comes from my locks, the rest of the sensors read either 90 or 50 and never change, then after dinner you can start working on world peace     8)
V1,V2,V3,VLite,Express Controls HSM-100,Intermatic HA20C, HA04C,HA02C,HA09, Leviton VRP15-1LW, VRS15-1LX,Home Manageables HM-TS001,Schlage FE599, Schlage BE369, Cooper RF9500, Aeon Labs Minimote, Schlage TZEMT400AB32MAA+more

Offline JOD

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 01:16:08 pm »
Oh no, my cover is blown!!
Ok, after dinner and those beers, I'll talk to my buddies over in Congress and discuss the possibilities of World peace.
Dont be surprised if Government is closed tomorrow while we work on this for you!!  :P

JOD.

Offline FlyBoyBob

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 02:06:19 pm »
Since I seem to have stirred the muddy waters of the genius pool and two gurus have popped to the surface....
I have two specific questions on this topic I hope can be answered:

1. If I use Luup code in a Scene to fetch a light level:
          local SS_SID   = "urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:LightSensor1"
          local current_level = luup.variable_get(SS_SID, "CurrentLevel", deviceNo) or "0"
I can compare that to <  trigger_level and trigger an event.
Yet if I substitute "BatteryLevel" (and yes the deviceNo has both) it does not work.
Getting data via "data_request?id=lu_status" shows both values are accurate and up-to-date.
So.... shouldn't this work??
It's just 2 available values, or is the internal code doing something silly with battery level?
And if the answer is "something silly" are there other values that are treated silly or even more silly?  ::)

2. The ADD code:
Does the Vera send email notifications via a Mios SMTP server or does it send data that the Mios server formats into an email at the server?
If the limitation on the ADD code is that the SMTP server I have access to (gmail) won't work because of Auth or whatever - can I use the Mios SMTP?

Ok, I know that's several questions rolled into two topics, I cheated...

Thanks in advance for any help,
bob