We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Hey Shady and other Old Timers: Is this mess any better a year later?  (Read 3406 times)

Offline gatorbaw

• Sr. Newbie
Hey you old timers:

I'm a Vera veteran but went away for the last full year when I moved due to Vera 1's overall unreliability in my hands.  I'm an Engineer in my previous life but no coder or programmer so only used Vera on a basic, out of the box level to control lights, doors and switches and to text me when a motion detector was activated.

Now, my question:  Is this mess any better in the last year?  Shoud I go back through the hassle of setting up my unopened Vera 2 that has sat for a full year, or scrap the idea and use my conventional installed alarm system?

I always appreciate the helpfulness of you forum members and the service you folks provide Micasaverde as their default customer service department.  Thank-you in advance for your replies!

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: Hey Shady and other Old Timers: Is this mess any better a year later?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 04:56:07 pm »
Give your vera 2 a try, but stick with UI4 until the issues with UI5 get cleared up.

- Garrett

Offline computerjohn

Hey Shady and other Old Timers: Is this mess any better a year later?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 08:25:39 pm »
My Vera 2 with the latest UI4 update is stable enough to where I depend on it daily. I refuse to go UI5 until it is just as stable, though don't get me wrong. Vera in general is quirky.

Vera2 UI4 (1.1.1245), IT-100, 2x Trane Thermostats, 6x Intermatic HA03 Lamp Modules, 1x Intermatic HA07 Remote, 4x GE 45613 3-way Dimmer Switches, 13x GE45606 Dimmers Switches, 2x GE 45605 Receptacles, 16x GE 45604 Outdoor Modules, 3x GE 45603 Appliance Modules, Automated Saltwater Reef System

Offline shady

• This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 08:30:11 pm »
I agree, Vera2 and UI4 ended up being stable for me.  As long as you don't have a large amount of devices, plug-ins, and scenes you shouldn't run out of memory (that being the main problem for a few power users).  I am not exactly sure what that "large amount" would be, but for the typical user or for the usage you have described I doubt you'd have any trouble.

Just remember that when you go to set it up, do it slowly and methodically.  Too often have I rushed Vera or thought she was done when she was busy doing something in the background.  Watch the messages at the top of the UI and get to learn when Vera is ready for the next task you want to give her.  Also I'd add devices a few at a time (3-5) and then let Vera bring them up in the UI, wait 10 minutes, go include more, repeat.  I think that has been my main stumbling block over the past 3 Veras I have owned.  Maybe a device wouldn't show up in the UI fast enough and I'd start in on "fixing it" when I really should have just went and made a sandwich or gone to the bathroom to come back and find the device in the UI where it should be.

I'd say it is worth another try, and if it doesn't work out you can easily sell Vera2 on eBay or Amazon.
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline TheGadgetGuy

• Technology Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 12:48:41 pm »
Shady's right.

I have always had the best success doing only one or two things at a time with Vera, then saving the changes.  Don't rush in there trying to add 5 devices, set up rooms, change names etc. then expect Vera to remember all of that. 

Aside from that, the latest UI4 release is very stable.  I wouldn't hesitate recommending it for daily use.  Especially if you will be using a smartphone for the daily interaction with your network.  As for UI5?  It's shaping up to be a good release I think, but not yet ready for prime time.
"Lots of Z wave switches by various companies", 8 Panasonic IP cameras, 4 Schlage locks, 2 Kwikset locks, 3 Z-wave thermometers, 2 5 button Cooper scene controllers, etc.

Offline CompuCabbie

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 06:47:50 pm »
Vera 2 with UI4 has also been stable enough for day-to-day use for me. It seems to be the best combo for those with smaller networks. I do have some problems from time to time trying to access remotely, which is solved with a reboot of the Vera. I haven't needed a reboot in a while now though.

I've got a relatively small network, 2 locks, lights, thermostat, and some sensors. I love being able to set the thermostat before I get home.

Offline computerjohn

Hey Shady and other Old Timers: Is this mess any better a year later?
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 09:21:55 pm »
I'm running about 50 devices on mine. With two modules turning on and off in 20sec intervals for 9 hours a day and 7 days a week being used as a wavemaker on my saltwater reef tank. It sends me texts all day long especially when my alarm is armed and disarmed, also whenever anything on my fish tanks gets turned on or off.

Matter of fact I received a txt tonight while I was at dinner that one of my circulation pumps on one of my tanks turned off. Why I have no idea, but logged into my iPhone and yup it was off. So I turned it back on.

I do still get some hiccups though.

Vera2 UI4 (1.1.1245), IT-100, 2x Trane Thermostats, 6x Intermatic HA03 Lamp Modules, 1x Intermatic HA07 Remote, 4x GE 45613 3-way Dimmer Switches, 13x GE45606 Dimmers Switches, 2x GE 45605 Receptacles, 16x GE 45604 Outdoor Modules, 3x GE 45603 Appliance Modules, Automated Saltwater Reef System