We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Leviton 4 Zone controller  (Read 38574 times)

Offline aschwalb

Re: Leviton 4 Zone controller
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2011, 05:01:41 pm »
@JOD

Thanks, actually not sure which I will like better, but appreciate the info.  Is the same true (i.e. adjusting the LED behavior) for the leviton controllers encase I want to change that?

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2011, 05:10:48 pm »
[...] I would prefer the LED operated such that on = lights on (which is the opposite of the GE switches, but I think I like that) off = lights off.
As @JOD said, you get to change this on the GE's. 'Locator light', or 'light is on' LED behavior.

For the Levitons, there is 2 distinct behaviors: zone behavior, or scene behavior.

When a button is programmed with a zone (i.e. area on/off), the LED is off when all lights in that zone are off; otherwise it's on.

When a button is programmed with a scene, the LED is only on when the scene is active. A scene is active as long as the state of none of the lights in the scene got changed.

I find the zone flavor useful for knowing if I left on a light somewhere. Vera programs scenes though.

I wouldnt mind if the actual swtiches were hidden and the only thing was the leviton controller.
Good!
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline deafbykhorns

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2011, 01:49:09 pm »
[...] I would prefer the LED operated such that on = lights on (which is the opposite of the GE switches, but I think I like that) off = lights off.
As @JOD said, you get to change this on the GE's. 'Locator light', or 'light is on' LED behavior.

For the Levitons, there is 2 distinct behaviors: zone behavior, or scene behavior.

When a button is programmed with a zone (i.e. area on/off), the LED is off when all lights in that zone are off; otherwise it's on.

When a button is programmed with a scene, the LED is only on when the scene is active. A scene is active as long as the state of none of the lights in the scene got changed.

I find the zone flavor useful for knowing if I left on a light somewhere. Vera programs scenes though.

I wouldnt mind if the actual swtiches were hidden and the only thing was the leviton controller.
Good!

Exactly what I was complaining about in another thread. I do not let Vera control my Leviton Scene/Zone controls and do the programming with ControlThink, Vera should get a copy of ControlThink to learn how its done correctly.
Vera 1.0.989 with updated dongle- 40 Leviton switch devices and Trane thermostat. Homeseer motion, contactor/switch for pool and WH
2 Panasonic IP cams, one with pan/tilt John S.

Offline JOD

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2011, 02:18:23 pm »
@deafbykhorns
 I agree with you that TE just works when setting the Levitons up, not sure why Vera does not but the devices do not work consistantly when controlled with Vera.

Are you adding TE as a secondary? and are you creating new scenes/areas within TE and using on the Levitons or selecting the scenes that transfer over from Vera?

JOD.

I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2011, 11:09:51 am »
@aschwalb,

You reported that you have a bunch of Leviton zone controllers configured with Vera to control a boat load of GE dimmers/switches.

So you created the scenes in Vera to switch those GE devices and then assigned them to buttons on the zone controllers? Did you configure the button assignment in the scene tab of the zone controller?

So it works perfectly when controlled from the zone controllers. Did you try other scenarios, where you also control the devices through Vera (e.g. running a scene from Vera, switching on/off a device from Vera)?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:12:18 am by oTi@ »

Offline lastmacuser

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2011, 12:56:36 pm »
It's been a frustrating weekend here. I made some progress but the only thing that works consistantly for me is remove and the re-add each controller. I have been up and down those stairs and have performed more network repairs than I care to remember. The aggravating thing is it is so hit or miss. I also played around with ThinkEssentials for comparison. There is no comparison there. ThinkEssentials "just works" to borrow a phrase from MCV. I know they were part of Leviton at the end and probably had propretary knowledge but the Leviton switches are nice higher end units and readliy available so you would think MCV would like to get these working better.

Offline JOD

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2011, 01:11:15 pm »
@lastmacuser,

Can you confirm that TE performs an association between the Levitons and the controlled devices?
In my experience Vera only runs them via scene setup. When I set them up with ThinkEssentials, neither TE nor Vera need to be online and the controllers still operate the devices.

Whereas, if I set them up with Vera, if Vera is offline nothing happens, this tells me there is no association being made.

JOD.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2011, 02:05:20 pm »
@JOD,

I'm also still in the process of comparing the various options and trying to figure out what currently gets configured how. But as you have said, there are so many variables.

I'll compare against TE, but my expectation is that it does the same as the Leviton remote.

With Vera in the mix, I've 'seen' the controllers associated with both Vera and the devices. With Vera offline, it would take a while (presumably while trying to talk to Vera), but the devices would get switched.

Also, the controllers update correctly when the associated devices get switched remotely; but only with the Leviton remote; not with Vera. Possibly because the remote updates the controller.

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2011, 02:33:41 pm »
@oTi

I have 8 controllers and will be adding 3 more this weekend.  Some with a local switch and some without.  They are all Zone controllers...  I also have a boat load of GE Dimmers and a few On/Off switches.  I upgraded Vera to the latest beta build and switched to 3.2 zwave.  Added each Ge dimmer and switch then added each controller without issue.  Then I created scenes (like outside pool lights on and outside pool lights off).  Then I went to the scene tab of the controller and assigned to button 1 on (for instance) "pool lights on" scene then did the same for button 1 off "pool lights off" scene.  Created about 20 scenes (one for each room) and then created a few all on all off kind of things. All has worked flawlessly as does the led behavior with the controllers.  When a light assigned to the scene that is assigned to a button is turned on for whatever reason that light on the controller works.   ;D

Never touched a leviton remote (although I did buy one... do I need it for anything?)

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2011, 02:45:41 pm »
[...]All has worked flawlessly as does the led behavior with the controllers.  When a light assigned to the scene that is assigned to a button is turned on for whatever reason that light on the controller works.   ;D.  
;D indeed! Awesome! Perhaps starting from scratch is key here.

Never touched a leviton remote (although I did buy one... do I need it for anything?)
Sounds like you don't!

Now, if you unplug Vera; what works and what doesn't?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 02:48:33 pm by oTi@ »

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2011, 02:50:22 pm »
One thing I have not tested though is the dimmer function on the controller.  Most of the lights I am controlling I have set the dimmer and step parameters to being on/off versus ramp up / down.  I will test tonight if the controller dimmer button works.

Offline JOD

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2011, 02:52:42 pm »
Good question. I'm anxiously waiting for these results.

JOD.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2011, 02:54:09 pm »
One thing I have not tested though is the dimmer function on the controller[...]
OK. I was about to ask.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 09:04:00 am by oTi@ »

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2011, 02:58:22 pm »
I'm anxiously waiting for these results.
Me too; as @aschwalb's controllers are fresh and clean, not 'contaminated' with any sort of Leviton remote or TE configuration; or prior Vera configuration.

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2011, 03:41:46 pm »
@oTi & @JOD

Ok, when I get home tonight I will unplug vera and see what works... My wife asked the same questions  (very skeptically I might add...)  :P
Vera seemed to be updating the controller whenever I made any scene changes so I am guessing that they will work...  But will let you all know tonight.