Author Topic: zWave and Zigbee Key Fob Remotes  (Read 1193 times)

Offline MichaelCoffin

Re: zWave and Zigbee Key Fob Remotes
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 09:51:58 am »
Yes, I had already set polling to 0 - but right after doing the Configure Right Now I manually polled the device (not sure if that helped, but I wanted them to "see" each other, and if the config changes were queued on the Vera that should "push them out").

I'm going to check battery life daily and record it with these settings and try to remember how many times I pushed a button on this thing just to have some idea of what the life expectancy will be for the battery.

Meanwhile, I may but one of the SMC key fobs referenced above to see how it works - I just hate to spend $70 on something that may not work at all.  Maybe I'll buy it on Amazon, that way if it doesn't work they are usually VERY good about taking things back for just about any reason.

-MC

Offline cybrmage

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 12:44:36 pm »
Meanwhile, I may but one of the SMC key fobs referenced above to see how it works - I just hate to spend $70 on something that may not work at all.  Maybe I'll buy it on Amazon, that way if it doesn't work they are usually VERY good about taking things back for just about any reason.

Doing some research into this item, it seems that it is designed for the xfinity platform. The only success reports I have seem were on this platform, and there are reports that the claim of it being a zigbee device is wrong. If it is Zigbee, it will not work... Vera does *NOT* support the clusters that are required for keyfob support.

Offline MichaelCoffin

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 01:47:16 pm »
Thanks Cybermage.  Scratch the SMC too I guess.  :(

-MC

Offline MichaelCoffin

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 07:46:59 am »
Just a quick heads-up, the chain on the ZW088 is pure garbage!  I used this for the the first time yesterday, got out of my car and tried to slide the cover open to expose the buttons (I couldn't remember which way to slide it, turns out it slides TOWARDS the key ring, which is a bit unintuitive since that ring can obstruct the lid from sliding).  While I was fumbling with it the chain broke and the ZW088 fell to the ground.  The chain links are just bits of very weak metal "pinched" on one end to complete the loop, the slightest bit of pressure will open up the pinched section breaking the chain!  :(

I'm removing the chain entirely today and will use a couple of sturdy rings to attach it to my main key ring.

-MC

Offline MichaelCoffin

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 07:56:48 am »
Just a quick update on the ZW088.  I've been using it for a little over 5 weeks.  I had originally set Polling=0 and WakeupInterval=0 but I'm presently running with Polling=300 and WakeUpInterval=240 (Note: I think I read somewhere that if you set WakeupInterval to anything less than 240 it will default to 240, 0 does not turn it off entirely).  I rarely use this device, some days not at all and others typically 2 button pushes/day (one to lock the door when leaving, one to unlock it upon return).  The first 4 weeks the battery level remained at 100% so I was encouraged that maybe I'd get acceptable battery life, but it may well be a case where the device was not drawing ANY power much of that time due to a poorly designed battery holder!

About 2 or 3 weeks into using this I noticed it "disappearing" off the network, and indeed when I tried to use it the LED would not light suggesting a dead battery (despite the UI indicating battery level 100%).  I removed the back cover an inspected the battery, it had plenty of power - when I reseated it everything worked fine.  The design of the battery holder sucks, there is nothing providing pressure to keep the battery in contact with the holder.  Over time it seems to break the connection and the device appears dead, but if you "squeeze" the unit from the back it comes back to life.  I may try to insert a thin bit of cork or something similar between the battery and the plastic cover to apply more pressure on the battery.

Meanwhile, the battery level is presently reporting 65% so with very light use it has dropped 35% over 5 weeks.  I hate the little sliding cover over the buttons, I wish it could be removed - I always find myself fumbling with it trying to access the buttons.  :(

Offline MichaelCoffin

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 08:47:01 am »
FYI, I shoved in a little sliver of cardboard on the ZW088 and so far it hasn't dropped off the network, so it is helping with the battery-fit problem.  Let's see how long this lasts, if the cardboard flattens it may not apply enough pressure.

-MC