Author Topic: How to avoid reset to factory settings when upgrading fails due to memory space?  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Turk4U2

Veraplus on UI7, upgrades performed everytime I was informed about one. Overall really happy with the system.

Two weeks ago I could not access my Verplus through internet through the "getvera"log-in screen. The "ADVANCED" button brought up a message that a firmware update was needed.
Trying this resulted in an error message, stating the upgrade failed. From this forum, I learned that this was due to memory shortage and a reset to factory settings was required so I did.
Had to exclude and include all, roughly 20 devices of which many are the double Fibaro switches and some are without physically connected switches.
So I needed to get to most of the z-wave modules built in sockets to access the separate include/exclude button which took quite some time.

I was getting close to having my set-up back together with 80% of devices included and scenes back to running when the same thing happened again:
1/ I cannot log on to my VeraPlus through internet
2/ I am being adviced to install new firmware on the getvera login screen
3/ The upgrade fails

In order to avoid having to exclude/include all devices everytime there is new upgrade, can anybody help clarify how to bypass the memory constraint issue?
Can I attach a USB-drive to add more memory?
How would I be able to clean up old files as some of us seem to be able to do without having access to VeraPlus (thought these files would be gone after a factory settings reset).
Any help is welcome,
Thanks!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 04:13:45 am by Turk4U2 »
VERAPLUS / UI7, Horstmann thermostats, Fibaro switches and dimmers, Duwi screen and blind controllers, DSC1832/IT-100, Foscam camera's, Itach WiFi2IR

Offline reneboer

Hi,

Only the old Vera 3's and Lites have a memory problem for upgrading UI7 firmware. The later models should not unless there is something filling up the NVRAM. I would advice to have support have a look at your system as what you describe is not the norm.

Success.

Cheers rene
2xVeraLite, VeraEdge, openLuup, ALTUI, 20 switches, 10 dimmers, 20 sensors, 10 scene controllers, 1 Harmony Hub, many plug-ins. Not enough time.

Offline Turk4U2

Thanks Rene,
I will contact support by mail,
regards
Marten
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 04:59:53 am by Turk4U2 »
VERAPLUS / UI7, Horstmann thermostats, Fibaro switches and dimmers, Duwi screen and blind controllers, DSC1832/IT-100, Foscam camera's, Itach WiFi2IR

Offline Don Phillips

More advice, from a Vera 3 user, is to do a backup with z-wave before you restore to factory settings.  After the firmware update, you can restore from that backup. Has worked for me many times over the years. Also - reboot often. Reboot before you backup, reboot after the factory restore, reboot after the firmware update, and reboot after the restore. Makes the updating take a little longer but less headaches.
Vera 3, 1.7.1030, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, Weatherunderground, LB60Z-1 bulb

Offline Turk4U2

Support pointed to internet connectivity. VeraPlus was in wifi mode and a DCHP issue may have caused  it to be unavailable by wifi. Reconnecting by  cable gave me my access.
I do not understand why I got the message to upgrade firmware under the advance tab on the welcome screen of home.getvera.com, after failing to connect to my VerPlus.

Anyway, issue solved and can be closed, thanks.

Offline Iceman

I also got a 'not enough storage' notice when trying to upgrade my VeraLite from version 1.7.987 to the latest version. I initially attempted to use the "Not Enough Storage to Update Controller" from the User Guides. I was unable to get through that (due to my inferior computer skill set). I called customer care and was actually talking to a live technician within one minute! Juan fixed the storage issue and did the firmware update. Initially following the update (about 1 hour), none of my devises appeared and the Vera controller showed the setup wizard. I called customer care back (got Juan again) and he reinstalled the backup that had been made. This took several minutes, but slowly all the devices reappeared. One day later, all is working well.