Author Topic: Bridging Controllers  (Read 276 times)

Offline jeubanks

Bridging Controllers
« on: March 10, 2018, 02:34:50 pm »
I have 2 vera plus units.  I have them bridged as a master/slave.  What I'm looking to do is have one be mostly plugins/apps/experimentation on and the primary controlling my z-wave network.  How do I configure the slave to see devices from the primary?  I went to the slave and enabled uPNP and added the primary but the only device to show up is the primary controller "mios serial number" device. 

Is there something else to be done, or does it just take a while for the units to sync?

Offline tomtcom

Re: Bridging Controllers
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 04:42:48 pm »
I have 2 vera plus units.  I have them bridged as a master/slave.  What I'm looking to do is have one be mostly plugins/apps/experimentation on and the primary controlling my z-wave network.  How do I configure the slave to see devices from the primary?  I went to the slave and enabled uPNP and added the primary but the only device to show up is the primary controller "mios serial number" device. 

Is there something else to be done, or does it just take a while for the units to sync?

Hopefully I'm not misquoting but the slave doesn't see the primary's devices. The primary sees everything and the slave only sees what it has installed on it.

I already tried this method with a VL and VP to do exactly what you were trying to do and it doesn't work. If a device on the slave has certain plugins or other items on it, when the primary sees it, it will also install that plugin in order for it to function. So your setup should be the primary having all app/plugin related devices on it and the slave being strictly devices not needing apps/plugins. So switches, sensors, outlets that do not need other software go on the slave. You will then see those devices on the slave and the primary. Hope this helps. I got rid of this configuration after reading lots of posts on this forum and finding that there was no direct benefit in my setup.

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 05:00:28 pm »
Bridging is not, in fact, a master/slave relationship, but a peer-to-peer one.  You can, if you must, bridge the other way too, so both machines see all devices.

One-way bridging brings with it some level of confusion in terms of configuration control.  Both ways is an utter nightmare.

I can't recommend Vera-to-Vera bridging at all, IMHO.  My solution was to write openLuup and bridge them to both (actually three) Veras.  This is utterly reliable and imposes no significant resource load on any/either of the bridged Veras.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 03:56:05 am by akbooer »
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P, 9x Philips Hue,
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, AltHue, DataYours, Grafana, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline jeubanks

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 06:12:06 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I let them sit and they updated.  Goal accomplished.

Primary - controls z-wave network and master to all device configurations
Secondary - Can see the devices and control them but that's it.  Ideal for running plugins on and testing new things without causing damage :)