Author Topic: Fibaro Double Switch (FGS-223) Lag  (Read 7496 times)

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
Re: Fibaro Double Switch (FGS-223) Lag
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2018, 07:18:23 am »
Vera does not have the capability of including devices in "unsecured"  mode and the team is working with the Z-Wave chip manufacturer on allowing this feature as part of the certification.

Thank you for explanation! So I suppose it is not "fast" solution. It is not a week, or couple of weeks. Right?

PS: I tried to downgrade the firmware where FGS-223 was not included officially, and it works pretty fast :-)

It's being discussed at every level both with Fibaro and with Silicon labs and we're hoping for a hasty solution.

AFAIK other controllers don't have this problem.
Sorin, have you reported it to Fibaro for cross checking?

To my knowledge, Fibaro gateway has the option to include devices in non-secure mode.
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline therealdb

• Automate all the things!
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2018, 07:23:01 am »
Thanks for being transparent.
We hope for quick solution.
Vera Edge EU, Fibaro FGRM 222 (12), Fibaro FGS 223 (20), Fibaro FGS 222 (5), Fibaro Universal Binary Sensor (2), Fibaro Plug (3), NeoCoolCam Door Sensor (3), NeoCoolCam PIR (2), Nest (3), Home Server running my own integrations, Harmony Hub, OpenSprinkler, Personal Weather Station, Sonoff TH & more

Offline dotneft

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2018, 04:23:02 pm »
Thank you for good news! But I'm a little bit aware about upgrade firmware in the switch :-( Is it possible with Vera?

Offline Tillsy

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2018, 07:51:02 pm »
It's being discussed at every level both with Fibaro and with Silicon labs and we're hoping for a hasty solution.
Okay tickle me impressed - this is exactly the kind of cooperation one expects with the Z-Wave platform, but from a consumer perspective seems to rarely happen, so I'll chat with the wife about persevering for a little longer.

To my knowledge, Fibaro gateway has the option to include devices in non-secure mode.
I think he meant if you had contacted Fibaro about your claim their devices are at fault here.  But sounds like you are indeed working with them on this as a high priority.

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2018, 06:13:12 am »
It's not very constructive to blame another manufacturer :) Although sometimes the truth may be somewhere in the middle  8), we'd prefer to take it on us, especially because customers are expecting this to work ON VERA no matter what's going on in the background.
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline Tillsy

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2018, 07:49:05 pm »
If Vera didn't want to provide a behind the scenes way of triggering a non-secure inclusion, there is an alternative staring at us in the face.

If you Add a Device and select a Fibaro product from the list, then do a non-secure inclusion.  For every single other case, do a secure inclusion.  Even if a temporary solution until either the secure issue is sorted out, or a proper non-secure option is negotiated and added.

Offline eyalp

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2018, 05:38:15 pm »
If you Add a Device and select a Fibaro product from the list, then do a non-secure inclusion.  For every single other case, do a secure inclusion.  Even if a temporary solution until either the secure issue is sorted out, or a proper non-secure option is negotiated and added.
Did you try it and it actually solves the problem?

Offline Tillsy

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2018, 07:17:00 pm »
Did you try it and it actually solves the problem?

Vera doesn't really do that, I was just suggesting it.

Offline fooey

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2018, 07:58:47 am »
Does this lag only apply with controller/scene activation?

I only ask, because I have these modules behind every light switch and don't encounter any physical switch lag. Controller/Scene varies from instant to some lag (sometimes a while...), but as the primary method is via physical switches it isn't too much of an issue yet as I haven't got the stage where I setup control of the lights via motion sensors.

Vera Plus firmware 1.7.3831
Version: 6.1 L:1
Locale: eu
Role: Suc SIS: YES PRI: YES
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 08:00:43 am by fooey »

Offline Tillsy

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2018, 09:52:11 am »
The lag is:
1. Intermittently with Vera sending the instruction to turn on/off - whether via a scene or doing it within the interface
2. Vera understanding the switch is now on or off
3. Sometimes Vera gives up with the on or off and undoes it

So physically switching the light on and off is fine.

It gets more complicated than this though.  Let's say you go directly on to the light switch and turn it on and then straight off - over the next 10-20 seconds Vera will be go nuts deciding whether the light is on or not.  Vera may then finally agree that it is and will now turn it on at the Vera end... but of course Vera will then realise that IT has just turned the light on, but the light isn't actually on, so it will then try and turn it on... now that may fail because, again Vera, will be confused but it may also work.  End result is that after turning that light on and off and walking away, 10-20 seconds later it might turn back on again.

You don't have to quickly turn it on and straight off, this can happen simply by turning off the light and walking away - sometimes Vera will fail in its attempt to acknowledge it being off and will decide it is on... but the light is actually off so it will then try and correct that.  It's just that doing a quick change is a sure fire way to aggravate the problem.

Forget about scenes with more than one Fibaro device - they'll seem to work and will then suffer immense problems with massive delays, some items working and some not, and heck in the immense time the scene takes to run Vera might do one of its wonderfully stupid LUUP restarts and that'll kill things right there too.

Offline fooey

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2018, 12:28:13 pm »
I've experienced UI / App / Scene lag where I have to repeat the action sometimes but never had my physical switches been overridden by the controller before.

Even if lights are turned on and off in quick succession, what you are describing doesn't happen to me.

It's good to hear that the lag is an issue that will get solved (eventually), which will make scenes & Alexa more useful.

Offline Tillsy

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2018, 07:28:52 pm »
Mine was okay to start with too, annoying but workable... but then she gets worse.  Maybe it was adding more and more devices until my entire home was full of them, maybe it was just Vera being so under powered that she suffocates herself over time, whatever it was things just got worse and worse and worse and worse until eventually she committed suicide :(

Offline fooey

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2018, 04:21:13 pm »
Thanks for the explanation Tillsy.

Now that I'm delving more into the app / scene side of it, I can also confirm I am having the same issues!

The UI shows the retry messages and the logs show stuff like 'got a secure command for unsecure command class' and various 'DecryptMessage' errors so this thread and other other one seem to have hit it on the head as to why (device seems to need non-secure mode).

I'm hoping that the next firmware will fix this as every room in the house has this module in the light switches.

PS. The same bad behaviour doesn't appear to happen with the Fibaro Dimmer 2 FGD-212 which is also Gen 5, and I assume added in secure inclusion. It activates pretty much instantly with no retry errors / no log errors.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:27:16 pm by fooey »

Offline Tillsy

Offline fooey

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2018, 06:22:52 pm »
Sorry to hear of another person leaving Vera  :'(

What's interesting that this has also been questioned on the Fibaro forums (https://forum.fibaro.com/topic/28628-delays-in-reaction/) and their support informs users to include them as non-secure (then there is no problem).

What we need is a way/method to allow non-secure inclusions in Vera! Until it's fixed properly, even if this was made possible via command line in SSH this would help the immediate problem otherwise all automation/scenes are pretty much useless if they contain this device.