We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Synchronizing 2 lights  (Read 8972 times)

Offline aschwalb

Re: Synchronizing 2 lights
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 08:01:06 pm »
Ok still no joy...

The scene works fine whenever I turn on or off either light within Vera.  But when I actually turn either light on or off nothing....  I set the poll to 5 seconds..  Nothing...  2 GE dimmers...  just want them to stay in sync.  What am I missing?  I could not get direct associations to work at all.  

Edit:  this is a poll frequency problem. Even when I manually turn on or off the light it takes 5+ minutes to update Vera. When that happens the scene fires. I tried setting the poll rate in the devices to 1 but that makes no diff??  What can I adjust to make it realtime ish.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:58:25 pm by aschwalb »

Offline wscannell

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 10:43:08 pm »
Someone else reported problems with polling on .1245:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=6487.0

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 11:33:31 pm »
@aschwalb,

There's a bunch of poll settings. It appears that the last one ("Unless specified otherwise ...") controls the time between polls...
Still, polling is a slow business, and the update for the GE's seems to come way quicker than that (if it works), so I feel there is another mechanism in play.

How close are these dimmers to Vera? Have you tried this with dimmers close to Vera / Vera close to the dimmers?

I'm still picking up a status change from my GE dimmer real-time-ish.

Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 09:43:41 am »
@oTi@

These are the furthest from Vera.  I do have appliance modules/plug in dimmer modules in between to ensure a good mesh.  Also they reliably see the neighbor nodes (10-12 of them).  I will try it with two that are immediately under Vera (she is on the second floor) and I only have switches replaced in the first floor yet.  I tried a heal on the network last night as well just incase.  

@wscannell

Someone else reported problems with polling on .1245:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=6487.0

That describes what I am seeing as well.  If I turn one light on from Vera the other fires correctly immediately.  And as soon as the status is updated when I do this manually the scene fires, this is just a polling issue not a scene issue.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:52:04 am by aschwalb »

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 10:00:11 am »
These are the furthest from Vera.
I see. I suspect these are not a single hop / within direct radio reach of Vera. The real-time-ish updates, I think, rely on a workaround that only works with Vera in direct radio reach, as these frames don't get relayed. They are not true status update frames, such as the Leviton's send out. So for GE's out of direct reach you'll have to rely on regular polling; which is slow (by design).

BTW, if these are 3-ways, this will probably only work from the primary switch, not the aux.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 08:17:25 pm »
[...] I will try it with two that are immediately under Vera (she is on the second floor) and I only have switches replaced in the first floor yet.
@aschwalb, just curious, did you get a chance to try this yet?