We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: New Fix on Leviton VRZ-C4 ....adding Scene Controllers  (Read 18529 times)

Offline TimAlls

New Fix on Leviton VRZ-C4 ....adding Scene Controllers
« on: April 21, 2011, 07:32:48 pm »
I have been using my Leviton Remote as a Master for some time but due to new reports I thought I would upgrade to the new Firmware on my Vera and upgrade to the latest Zwave Firmware as well and try once again to set Vera up as a primary.
The update was messy....took 3 hours to recover from a lifeless machine but eventually it sprang to life!
After that I started from scratch with a brand new setup adding in all my Leviton 1000 W Dimmers and three GE dimmers just for educational purposes.

The setup for the controllers is not real straight forward but this is what I learned:

Under Device Options is an empty box for adding Group Numbers. Enter the number "1" and press add and new options appear. Press Edit and all your Zwave dimmers will appear. Select the ones you want to associate to button one...including GE dimmers if you have or want them as part of the group.
The bug that has been reported is that the GE dimmers will not accept the association.....do it anyway and I will explain. You can keep adding Groups for buttons 2,3, and 4 then you are done. The next step is only for the GE dimmers that were added in.....Create scenes for those dimmers....one for on and one for off. Go to the Scene tab on your controller and add scenes for all the GE dimmers....one for on and one for off. When done save and now all the features of the zone controllers will work including dimming. The LED behavior could be better but it isn't perfect with the Leviton Remote as a Master either.
The associations for the GE Dimmers are what makes the dimmer button at the bottom of the controller work. The scenes are needed to turn the lights on and off....without the scenes they do not work.

The Leviton dimmers will now will work without the Vera where as the GE depend on it..... they are just a bit slower.

Scene controllers are next on my list...I will post my findings tomorrow.
Regards
Tim Alls
AllSeas Yachts
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 11:48:45 pm by TimAlls »

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
Re: New Fix on Leviton VRZ-C4
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 10:56:29 pm »
I have been using my Leviton Remote as a Master for some time but due to new reports I thought I would upgrade to the new Firmware on my Vera and upgrade to the latest Zwave Firmware as well and try once
Wow, @TimAlls has Vera as primary. :) Thanks for the report.

The bug that has been reported is that the GE dimmers will not accept the association.....do it anyway and I will explain.
I don't think it's a bug; they just don't support it. What you're doing here though is setting associations in the controller; that should work.

Under [...] the zone controllers will work including dimming.
I think you're accomplishing the same as what happens when you set up scenes for all the devices and assign them to buttons: Vera will program the associations for you. The difference being that you added associations for the GE's to get the dimming working. And I'm guessing you're missing the reverse associations in the Leviton devices this way.

The LED behavior could be better[...]
I have a feeling your manual setting the associations for the GEs to get the dimming working may be a/the cause of this.

The LED behavior [...] isn't perfect with the Leviton Remote as a Master either.
Can you elaborate?

You used VRCZ4-M0 or VRCZ4-MR right; not the VRCZ4-1L?
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 11:39:03 pm »
Hard to believe huh! It was a big move....I had to start all over.
The Leviton is still doing something that Vera won't.....it associates the GE's. Just fine. Vera make you associate them as well as write scenes to make all the functions work. (I am just talking about the Zone Controllers).
I have been wanting to improve the LED functionality and I am hoping Vera can pave the way. With Leviton as a primary what you see is what you get but maybe with some programing help we can make it perfect!
I think I mentioned in another thread that there were some things about the LEDs that could be improved on. The Controllers currently don't talk to each other when multiples are being used....that is the biggest thing I want to fix.
Regards
Tim

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 12:58:58 am »
Hard to believe huh!
Yes sir!

The Leviton is still doing something that Vera won't.....it associates the GE's.
???

I think I mentioned in another thread that there were some things about the LEDs that could be improved on. The Controllers currently don't talk to each other when multiples are being used...
You did. But my point there was that this is working. The devices send status updates to (up to 5) controllers that they are associated with. Those controllers then update the scene/zone status, including LED, accordingly.

Example:
- 2 Leviton dimmers in a scene. Connect the scene to a button on controller A. Connect the scene to a button on controller B.
=> Hit the button on controller A -> lights come on, LED on controller A and controller B come on.

=> Hit the button on controller A or B -> lights go off, LED on controller A and controller B go off.
OR
=> Change a dimmer locally (either dimming or switching off) -> scene is now de-activated -> LED on controller A and controller B go off.
OR
=> Dim the entire scene on the controller -> scene is now de-activated -> LED on controller A and controller B go off.

Also tied it in with a trigger from a GE 3-way (in a test for @aschwalb) to activate the scene:
=> The lights came on, the LEDs on controller A and B came on.

Controller A is a VRCS4-MR, controller B is a VRCZ4-MR. Scenes created on Vera, tied to controller buttons in the controller's scene tabs.

Same for using GE dimmers; minus the dimming on the controllers.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 01:16:30 am by oTi@ »

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 01:31:58 am »
Good information....I was only using Zone Controllers today and just associations....tomorrow I will be testing Scene Controllers. I suspect that your success may be due to the use of Scenes....have you used associations in the Scene Controllers or just Scenes?
I am glad to hear your results....that is what I am looking for on the Yachts.
Guessed gave me the code to change the lights so I am going to play with that tomorrow as well!
Tim

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 07:44:04 am »
I was only using Zone Controllers today and just associations....tomorrow I will be testing Scene Controllers.
I don't expect differences between the scene and zone controllers; they are essentially the same thing, except that the zone controllers have a distinct on/off side to the button.

I suspect that your success may be due to the use of Scenes....have you used associations in the Scene Controllers or just Scenes?
Just scenes; let Vera do the associations. I think manually doing the associations may mess things up, as I suspect the reverse associations are missing (and that's why the GE's are handled by Vera).

I am glad to hear your results....that is what I am looking for on the Yachts.
Well, what I'd love to see is the equivalent of zone behavior.

Guessed gave me the code to change the lights so I am going to play with that tomorrow as well!
It's already tomorrow. :) I've been wondering if the LED control is just that, or if it also affects what the controller thinks about the state of the scene/zone; as things can get messy if there is no relationship there. It looks like a green or amber LED means the scene is active.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:50:11 am by oTi@ »

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 12:03:57 pm »
oTi@, Already morning.....do you sleep? ha

Ok.....more information and good news on the Leviton Zone Controllers.
You were correct about using Scenes and Vera taking care of the LED's.....I added scenes for every button and now after about a second the LED's are updated and match.....good enough for me!

I tested one more condition and I have interesting results....I left all my associations in place and tagged the scenes in on top of them and here is what you will gain: faster response time since the commands are sent out from the Leviton Zone Controller to the Dimmer, Vera then ( I am guessing) sends the same command out and sync the LEDs.
Advantage.....The switch works faster and without Vera online. The Zwave route is still through Vera's Zwave controller so even if Vera is busy things are happening. I saw this by bringing Vera online and testing the buttons while it was starting up.
With Vera off....the buttons work very slow....like the are trying to route through Vera and theen reroute due to no response.
More to come from the offsite MCV freebie research team. Ha
Regards
Tim Alls
AllSEas Yachts

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 12:23:04 pm »
You were correct about using Scenes and Vera taking care of the LED's.....I added scenes for every button and now after about a second the LED's are updated and match.....good enough for me!
Are you using GE dimmers, Leviton dimmers, or a mix in these _scenes_? (When using GE's, Vera will have to make sure the LED is correct. For Leviton's it's the controller. (So in an all-Leviton environment, programmed with the Leviton remote, no Vera, you will also see multiple controllers update appropriately. See the other thread.))

I tested one more condition and I have interesting results....I left all my associations in place and tagged the scenes in on top of them and here is what you will gain: faster response time since the commands are sent out from the Leviton Zone Controller to the Dimmer[...]
OK, it sounds like this is for GE dimmers. And probably just an on/off, right?

[...]
With Vera off....the buttons work very slow....like the are trying to route through Vera and theen reroute due to no response.
Yes, when using Vera, never turn Vera off. You can do that to find out how the associations are configured, but it will slow things down as the controllers try to talk to Vera too. The controllers are associated with Vera and the Leviton dimmers, so Vera knows that you pushed a button. She then does her part of the job, including responding back to the controllers. If Vera is down (or any device the Leviton controller is associated with), there will be delays. But you will see your Leviton dimmers react, eventually.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 12:28:04 pm by oTi@ »

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 12:53:54 pm »
Are you using GE dimmers, Leviton dimmers, or a mix in these _scenes_? (When using GE's, Vera will have to make sure the LED is correct. For Leviton's it's the controller. (So in an all-Leviton environment, programmed with the Leviton remote, no Vera, you will also see multiple controllers update appropriately. See the other thread.))

I have not been able to get the LEDs to sync even when using the Leviton Remote.....I may have missed something in the setup. Vera is doing the Syncing now....I can tell by the one second delay, I am guessing on this one but I think if the controllers were syncing it would be instant. I have started from scratch, reset everything and I am not using the Leviton Remote in any way for these experiments!
Regards
Tim

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 01:25:19 pm »
I have not been able to get the LEDs to sync even when using the Leviton Remote.....I may have missed something in the setup.
See the other thread. (My recommendation is to factory-reset the controllers and dimmers when switching from Vera programming to Leviton remote programming, and vice versa.)

I can tell by the one second delay, I am guessing on this one but I think if the controllers were syncing it would be instant.
No, not necessarily. It can take a moment for all the devices to have reported back to all the controllers.

I have started from scratch, reset everything and I am not using the Leviton Remote in any way for these experiments!
Understood.

Do you have a scene with just GE dimmers, a scene with just Leviton dimmers, and a scene with a mix? Something else?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 01:29:43 pm by oTi@ »

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 02:52:22 pm »
Do you have a scene with just GE dimmers, a scene with just Leviton dimmers, and a scene with a mix? Something else?
I have tryed all three....no problems. Only a problem when you pull the power on Vera but that is to be expected.
I am ok with Vera being primary now because I can see that the Zwave in Vera operates indepent from the operating system. I did not want "Vera Busy" to become an issue with the reliabilty of these controller because for me the lighting dimmers are all behind a cabinet door!
I would still have a problem with Vera being Primary if the association did not work in Vera, but they work fine now.
The scene controllers are next.
Regards
Tim

Offline TimAlls

Re: New Fix on Leviton VRZ-C4 ....adding Scene Controllers
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 12:10:10 am »
I finished testing the Four Button Scene Controllers today as well. The Scene Controllers basically acted exactly like the Zone Controllers. I was able to associate the buttons with Groups of dimmers and that allows for Scenes to be setup without Vera....hold the button until it blinks and then set the dimmers the way you want the Scene to look. Once again you can add Vera Scenes to the buttons as well and that allows you to control the GE dimmers. LEDs function perfect as long as you let Vera control them.
Looks like I am going to leave Vera as the Master! Good to see the bugs get worked out of the system!

For those that are starting out and want to use the Leviton Controllers I strongly recommend that you buy all Leviton Dimmers, they will accept the association settings from Vera which make for a more solid control system.
Here are questions for the Guru's.....
I am using associations and scene assignments on the same button to achieve full functionality....Any down side you can think of?
Does anyone have the capability to see what settings the Leviton Remote uses to set these controllers up? Vera is not duplicating it and it would be interesting to know why!

I will will finish up software to control the LEDs next and keep you posted.

Regards
Tim Alls
AllSeas Yachts

Offline lastmacuser

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 06:40:36 pm »
This is interesting stuff. I have been having my issues with the controllers using Vera only as well. For my info, what is the difference between the -1L and the -MR/-M0
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 07:13:21 pm by lastmacuser »

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 07:18:41 pm »
The ones I mentioned are 4 button Scene Controllers and Zone Controllers .......I believe the -1L refers to one that looks the same but has a built in IR....oTi@ please correct me if I am wrong.
I am working on code to control the Zone Controller's LED's....I want the Zone Controllers to have one red LED showing the last used button so that the dimmer at the bottom of the controller make more sense.
Regards
Tim Alls
AllSeas Yachts

Offline lastmacuser

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 07:48:18 pm »
I am working on code to control the Zone Controller's LED's....I want the Zone Controllers to have one red LED showing the last used button so that the dimmer at the bottom of the controller make more sense.
That would be a great addition. Not to get off topic here but has anyone had any luck with lock contol with the Leviton controllers. I am thinking that the contoller LED could monitor the state off the lock. For my home, a controller is in the bedroom. It would be nice if the controller would be red for locked, green for open. A nice visual to make sure the door is locked.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 08:00:32 pm by lastmacuser »