We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: New Fix on Leviton VRZ-C4 ....adding Scene Controllers  (Read 18558 times)

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
Re: New Fix on Leviton VRZ-C4 ....adding Scene Controllers
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 11:53:44 pm »
For my info, what is the difference between the -1L and the -MR/-M0
-1L = older, no local switch; no LED control with Vera
-M0 = newer, no local switch; LED control with Vera
-MR = newer, with local switch; LED control with Vera

I believe they all support the IR remotes (by swapping out the up/down buttons for one that has a little window). If you pop off the face, you can see the IR receiver.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 01:44:45 am »
I finished testing the Four Button Scene Controllers today as well. The Scene Controllers basically acted exactly like the Zone Controllers.
Thanks for testing @TimAlls. Good; there should be no difference, as far as I'm aware.

I was able to associate the buttons with Groups of dimmers and that allows for Scenes to be setup without Vera...
I'm not sure that this always works. Depends on the prior state of the buttons in regard to zone or scene control. Did this work on a freshly reset zone controller? (It would have its buttons defaulted to zones.) Also, you're missing the reverse associations. And you have no control over the scene numbers, so there's the potential for clashes / unintended behavior, especially when using multiple controllers.

Once again you can add Vera Scenes to the buttons as well and that allows you to control the GE dimmers. LEDs function perfect as long as you let Vera control them.
You'll get the dimming, but no reverse associations (as they are not supported), so the LED doesn't update until Vera completes her poll of the GEs?

Looks like I am going to leave Vera as the Master!
Good. But you should be able to get the same results with Vera as a secondary controller, I would think.

For those that are starting out and want to use the Leviton Controllers I strongly recommend that you buy all Leviton Dimmers, [...]
At least use devices that support associations and scenes. Don't know if there is proprietary stuff going on so that using all Leviton would give you more. But obviously the safest bet.

I am using associations and scene assignments on the same button to achieve full functionality....Any down side you can think of?
You only need the explicit associations for the GE's; so the dimming buttons do something.

Vera is not duplicating it and it would be interesting to know why!
What specifically is she not duplicating?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 01:48:00 am by oTi@ »

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 09:26:14 am »
I was able to associate the buttons with Groups of dimmers and that allows for Scenes to be setup without Vera...
I'm not sure that this always works. Depends on the prior state of the buttons in regard to zone or scene control. Did this work on a freshly reset zone controller? (It would have its buttons defaulted to zones.) Also, you're missing the reverse associations. And you have no control over the scene numbers, so there's the potential for clashes / unintended behavior, especially when using multiple controllers.
I haven't been using Zone Controllers for Scenes.....I use them to control remote dimmers. When reading the documentation on the Zone controllers I never saw the feature of press and hold for Scene adjustments.....I think it is only in the Scene Controllers. This feature works perfect on a freshly reset Scene Controller but only with Leviton Dimmers. I was also able to mix methods with the Scene Controller...a few buttons programed by association and a few programmed by Vera.
What do you mean by reverse association?
The thing Vera can't do that the Remote can do is set up the Zone Controllers to work with Leviton and GE dimmers. Vera looses the ability to trigger the GE dimmers....(note: this refers to the use of associations alone....I added the scenes in as described in my first blog and that allowed the GE dimmers to trigger). But my LED behavior is better now with Vera in Primary so I am going to stay for a while!
Regards
Tim Alls
AllSeas Yachts
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 10:23:20 am by TimAlls »

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 05:57:23 pm »
Mi final solution for controlling LED behavior on the Zone Controllers:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=6386.0
Tim
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 05:59:09 pm by TimAlls »

Offline lastmacuser

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 07:54:12 pm »
It looks like a nice fix. I have the -1L's, so it looks like no LED control for me. Does anyone know what upgrade Leviton made with the M0/MR's?

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 09:27:44 pm »
I have the -1L's, so it looks like no LED control for me. Does anyone know what upgrade Leviton made with the M0/MR's?
Besides their own firmware being newer, the Z-Wave firmware is newer too I believe. What exactly that means in terms of features (things like beaming come to mind) I don't know.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 09:31:07 pm by oTi@ »

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 10:34:55 pm »
I haven't been using Zone Controllers for Scenes.....I use them to control remote dimmers.
I see.

When reading the documentation on the Zone controllers I never saw the feature of press and hold for Scene adjustments.....I think it is only in the Scene Controllers.
SC or ZC doesn't matter.

This feature works perfect on a freshly reset Scene Controller but only with Leviton Dimmers.
Right. The SC's default to scenes (i.e. scene 1 under button 1, scene 2 under button 2, etc.).
Rather than only with Leviton dimmers, it probably means it doesn't work with devices that don't support scenes (such as the GE dimmers).

What do you mean by reverse association?
The associations you mention are the ones programmed into the controller (e.g. button 1 controls device 9, 12 and 15). The reverse associations are the ones programmed into the devices (e.g. device 9 reports to controller 3 and Vera). The reverse associations make the controller aware of a device's state changes, so the LED can be properly updated.  

The thing Vera can't do that the Remote can do is set up the Zone Controllers to work with Leviton and GE dimmers. Vera looses the ability to trigger the GE dimmers....(note: this refers to the use of associations alone....I added the scenes in as described in my first blog and that allowed the GE dimmers to trigger).
Not sure if I'm tracking, but I think you're saying you could not program an association to a GE dimmer (and possibly to a Leviton dimmer at the same time) into a Zone Controller with Vera? Are you sure you tried this on a freshly reset Zone Controller?

But my LED behavior is better now with Vera in Primary so I am going to stay for a while!
Magical.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:15:56 pm by oTi@ »

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 09:40:28 am »
@TimAlls or @oTi...

I am confused as to what you are getting that is different than what I  have.  I have only GE Dimmers/Switches and I only have VRCZ4-M0Z or VRCZ4-MRX's.  Vera is the only controller and I use scenes assigned to buttons on the zone controllers.  LED's work properly and I have a scene on and a scene off for every button.  What does adding them in the group portion do? Sorry for being a bit dense I did read the thread twice...  :-[

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 10:05:14 am »
[...]What does adding them in the group portion do?
I'd say:
You only need the explicit associations for the GE's; so the dimming buttons do something.
But your LEDs may be slow to update if you do that.

Also, @TimAlls seems to prefer the LEDs to have zone behavior, i.e. on as long as one or more lights are on and would like an indication of the last zone that was activated; hence the manual LED control.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 10:10:20 am by oTi@ »

Offline ASIHome

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 10:07:11 am »
On the M0Z, the off side of the Zone Controller should work now.

I have to double check but I believe the MRZ still has the older firmware due to not having enough room in memory for both the combo code and the new firmware code.

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 10:17:00 am »
@ASIHome

The MOZ off side has worked via Vera only since at least 1.1.1234 (That is when I started anew...) (In that I have a scene on and a scene off assigned)

Offline ASIHome

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 10:44:51 am »
I had it working in a build prior to 1047.

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2011, 12:09:22 pm »
I am confused as to what you are getting that is different than what I  have.  I have only GE Dimmers/Switches and I only have VRCZ4-M0Z or VRCZ4-MRX's.  Vera is the only controller and I use scenes assigned to buttons on the zone controllers.  LED's work properly and I have a scene on and a scene off for every button.  What does adding them in the group portion do? Sorry for being a bit dense I did read the thread twice...

Does your bottom dimmer work in this mode? Mine did not until I added associations.
Also, my preference for adjusting scenes is to not go through Vera but use the Lutron Method: associate the button with a group of dimmers, then to set the scene you press and hold the button for 5 second, when it starts to blink set all the dimmers the way you want the scene to look, then press the button and the scene is set. The scene can also be DIMMED! A great feature that needs associations to work.

As for LED functions, I am happy with the way VERA handles the LEDS when using scenes. It is ZONE control that I wanted the LED's to act different. In Zone control you are using the paddle switches as a controller for a remote dimmer that is out of reach....or a place that is out of the way.

Hope that makes sense.

Regards
Tim Alls
AllSeas Yachts

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 01:46:25 pm »
@TimAlls

No the bottom rocker switch does nothing when done the way I have.  I will try and add via the group when I get home and see what happens...  Dimming has not been a priority in my home before (my wife & kids seem to want all lights on all the time, thus my real need for Vera  :) )

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2011, 02:21:42 pm »
Does your bottom dimmer work in this mode? Mine did not until I added associations.
When used with GE dimmers (because they are handled by Vera). When used with Leviton, you can just create a scene with Vera; she sets the associations for you; dimming works.

Also, my preference for adjusting scenes is to not go through Vera but use [...] A great feature that needs associations to work.
When used with just Leviton dimmers. Does the LED work properly? Also when changing a device locally?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:24:26 pm by oTi@ »