We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: New Fix on Leviton VRZ-C4 ....adding Scene Controllers  (Read 18553 times)

Offline aschwalb

Re: New Fix on Leviton VRZ-C4 ....adding Scene Controllers
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2011, 02:49:12 pm »
@oTi@

DImming works when I manually add the associations as TimAlls describes.  Curious as to why Vera wouldn't/couldn't do that for you.  What is special about the Leviton dimmers that it works vs. the GE ones?

Offline lastmacuser

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2011, 03:36:49 pm »
I am having difficulty with my -1L's. Scene behavior is erratic and they are altering the dimming rate of some but not all switches on on some scenes. Are you guys all using the M0/MR's? Is anyone using the -1L's having similar issues?

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2011, 04:27:30 pm »
@lastmacuser

(BTW I use macs...)

I am using the MO/MR's only...

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2011, 04:28:11 pm »
I'm using the new ones....sorry. But give us the details of your hardware and your configuration....maybe we can help.
Regards
Tim Alls
AllSeas Yachts

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2011, 09:09:58 am »
I am having difficulty with my -1L's. Scene behavior is erratic and they are altering the dimming rate of some but not all switches on on some scenes.
Are you using Leviton devices, something else, a mix?
As for the dimming rate, you mean the time it takes to fade in/out? Is the altered dimming rate in relation to Leviton devices, GE's, or something else?
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2011, 09:25:52 am »
DImming works when I manually add the associations as TimAlls describes.  Curious as to why Vera wouldn't/couldn't do that for you.  What is special about the Leviton dimmers that it works vs. the GE ones?
The controllers talk directly to the Leviton dimmers. And they talk back. I don't think the GEs talk back, and they don't support scenes, therefore, to make it work, Vera takes care of handling the GEs. But Vera only knows about the scene/zone button pushes, not about the dimming buttons. So as the controller has no notion of the GE's being there, they wouldn't receive the dimming commands.

When you associate the controller with the GE's yourself, you're more or less going behind Vera's back, so your LED status may be slow to update, because it takes a bit for her to pick up the changed GE dimmer setting. Or did you not observe any slow LEDs whatsoever?

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2011, 09:45:16 am »
oTi@

I guess what I was saying was that Vera 'could' note that Hey this is a dumb GE switch so I will associate it with this controller if a dumb ge switch is associated in a scene to a button...

Your point is that the leviton dimmers know how to talk directly to the controller so when you add them (via the leviton remote or controller directly?) they just handle it...?

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2011, 11:21:22 am »
I guess what I was saying was that Vera 'could' note that Hey this is a dumb GE switch so I will associate it with this controller if a dumb ge switch is associated in a scene to a button...
(I assumed your question/remark there was rhetorical). Yes, she could.
Like I said, one thing I can think of why MCV didn't do it , is that the LEDs will be slow(er) to update. Or they just missed it. Perhaps there are other reasons; I'd have to play with it more.  But if folks here report that this works pretty well, I could see MCV adding it. (It sure would be nice if MCV could drop a few words on implementation choices, wouldn't it.)

Your point is that the leviton dimmers know how to talk directly to the controller so when you add them (via the leviton remote or controller directly?) they just handle it...?
Not sure if I'm following, but perhaps this answers it: for Leviton dimmers you don't need to do anything extra. Just program the On scene with Vera. Dimming will work. Off will work. (And 'Leviton dimmers' probably means any dimmer with the right capabilities.)

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2011, 11:48:26 am »
 :(

After I added the Device direct associations to the Leviton's I know get "Failed at: Setting special association".  I even deleted the direct associations and still get the message. I wasn't getting this before adding them (where I manually put in the ge dimmers so the bottom rocker will dim the lights)

Offline Cherokee180c

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2011, 02:24:44 pm »
This may be the wrong place to ask this, but since you guys are talking about Vizia scene control....  I am thinking of buying the Vera 2 for zwave control. I currently have my entire basement on zwave with the ViziaRF dimmers. I have 10 dimmers and 1 4 button scene controller, which I assume is the -1L unit since 1 bought it 3+years ago. Currently 2 things go wrong with my system.  A weird brown out or power glitch will knock out all of my dimmers and I have to open up the switch and hit the red reset button and it fixes everything. This is not hat big of a deal as it has only happened maybe 3 times in 3 years. The other thing that goes wrong is someone holds down the scene selection button too long and resets my scenes to something screwed up. I am pretty sure it is my son, but it drives me crazy and happens maybe once every month or so.  Will vera2 help eliminate these issues?  I also have a harmony 1000 remote for my theater that sux. I was thinking of getting the square connect blaster with iPad to replace and then tying in the lighting with the Vera2.  If my zwave system was more reliable I would add more lighting controls upstairs. Can you guys explain what benefits Vera2 brings to the table other than control from outside the house?  Thanks for advising a Vera2 newbie. 

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2011, 08:54:51 pm »
Currently 2 things go wrong with my system.  A weird brown out or power glitch [...] The other thing that goes wrong is someone holds down the scene selection button too long [...] Will vera2 help eliminate these issues? [...] If my zwave system was more reliable
Sounds to me as if there are external actors, i.e. the quality of your utility power, and folks in your household, that affect the system. Not so much your Z-Wave system that is not reliable?

Vera won't be able to fix that. You will still end up in scene programming mode if you hold the button down too long. But, I guess it would be easier to correct, because you can have Vera reconfigure the scene for you.

Can you guys explain what benefits Vera2 brings to the table other than control from outside the house?  Thanks for advising a Vera2 newbie. 
Control from outside the house is one, but also control from inside the house through a GUI (computer, smartphone, tablet, whatever). And because of that you get to build way more complex scenes than with a scene controller or a basic remote controller. Those are typically geared towards lighting scenes. With Vera you get to control other things too (thermostats, locks, e.g.) and you can use all kinds of triggers to kick off those scenes (sensors, timers, manual, device state changes, sunrise/sunset events, and through plug-ins you get weather events, etc.). And then there's plug-ins that support all kind of other non-Z-Wave devices.

Peruse the forum here for a good long while to get an impression of the (im)possibilities etc.  :)

Offline Cherokee180c

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2011, 09:11:40 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply. I didnt think it would fix the power glitch issue, but i am really hoping by setting Vera as the controller I can somehow disable the 4 button scene controller from resetting the scenes and just use it to enable scenes.  Does anyone know if either of the other newer 4 scene controllers are more intelligent about how to initiate the scene programming mode?  It should not be so easy for normal users to enter programming mode so easily.

Does Vera2 need to plug directly into ethernet or can it hook up via wifi?

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2011, 11:14:22 pm »
[...]i am really hoping by setting Vera as the controller I can somehow disable the 4 button scene controller from resetting the scenes and just use it to enable scenes.  
Presumably you're currently using the VRCPG remote to program the scene controller? Vera would more or less do the same: program the scene controller. Holding down the scene button to set the scene is a function of the controller. That is not going to change (but you don't need it when using Vera).

Does anyone know if either of the other newer 4 scene controllers are more intelligent about how to initiate the scene programming mode?
-MR, -M0, zone or scene, all the same.

Does Vera2 need to plug directly into ethernet or can it hook up via wifi?
Either way works.

Offline Cherokee180c

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2011, 08:40:26 am »
Thanks again for the clarification. Maybe I need to totally rethink the lighting control in the basement?  Right now you hit a Vizia remote switch at the top of the stairs that turns on first section of can lights at the bottom of the stairs.  I normally hit one of the scene buttons (enter scene) on the scene controller at the bottom of the stairs to turn on the lights in the other sections of the basement. This works most of he time when you are just running downstairs to get food from our freezer, pantry or extra fridge. When I want to watch a movie in our home theater I hit a "play movie" or "play movie w/sconce lights" scene on the Vizia remote control.  The best thing about this design is to shut off all the lights in the basement I just hit a scene selection on the scene controller to activate it and then hit it again to shut everything off.  Two quick taps.  It would be much nicer if I could just get rid of the scene controller and have the lights turn on automatically to an enter scene based on motion sensing at the top of the stairs and then go off automatically if no one is in the basement for a preset amount of time.  Is there anyone doing this reliably?  Are there combination switches that are also motion sensing?

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2011, 01:40:10 pm »
You might consider changing from scene controllers to zone controllers. The scene controller goes into the programing mode when the button is held for five seconds.....it then reads the lighting positions for the dimmers and creates a scene. The zone controllers don't do that, so your kids can't foul them up. You can still control groups of lights and trigger scenes with Vera from a zone controller.
Food for thought.
Regards
Tim Alls
AllSeas Yachts