We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Create a new virtual from 2 physical devices  (Read 1363 times)

Offline doinitsideways

Create a new virtual from 2 physical devices
« on: August 15, 2017, 07:18:51 pm »
Hi,

I have a aeotec multi sensor ZW100 and a aeotec wall switch ZW096 with a column oil heater attached

I tried to set the wall switch to be a heater, but it didn't work.

I'd like to have the room temperature from the sensor as the current temp and be able to set a temp and turn the heater on or off etc...

Anyone out there able to help me??

Cheers,
Josh

Offline zedrally

• Black Cat Control Systems
Re: Create a new virtual from 2 physical devices
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 07:56:29 pm »
I'd use PLEG to program this, but another solution could be to use a Remotec ZTS110 in conjunction with the Power switch (leave out the multi-sensor). Advantages would be that you can easily set a Temp Setpoint and then use PLEG for scheduling etc.

There are many different ways to solve this, use what you feel comfortable with.
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, Fantem Tec and then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors, RFXComm, Broadlink RMPro & Mini plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline rigpapa

• Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 06:51:26 pm »
You can just do this with two scenes. Both scenes use a device trigger. The first (call it the "on" scene) should check your temperature sensor device for when it goes below a setpoint (you set what that number is). The controlled device for the scene is the ZW096, which it should turn on. The second scene (the "off" scene) triggers when the temperature sensor goes above a certain setpoint, and control the ZW096 to turn off.

Be aware, though, that no matter what you do, battery-operated sensors have to be monitored carefully... if you don't keep up on the batteries, they'll stop responding (and so Vera's view of the sensor value therefore stops changing), and no matter how you end up getting the job done, you can end up with a heater that's perpetually on (fire hazard), or perpetually off (maybe frozen pipes if that's how you're using it).
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3, Lite. Hassio, Slapdash.

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:39:58 pm »
Be aware, though, that no matter what you do, battery-operated sensors have to be monitored carefully... if you don't keep up on the batteries, they'll stop responding (and so Vera's view of the sensor value therefore stops changing), and no matter how you end up getting the job done, you can end up with a heater that's perpetually on (fire hazard), or perpetually off (maybe frozen pipes if that's how you're using it).

I have scenes set up to send me an alert when a battery device drops below 5%.
Vera 3, 1.7.1040, CT101, Everspring Motion, GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa, Zooz 4-1

Offline doinitsideways

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 12:43:01 am »
You can just do this with two scenes. Both scenes use a device trigger. The first (call it the "on" scene) should check your temperature sensor device for when it goes below a setpoint (you set what that number is). The controlled device for the scene is the ZW096, which it should turn on. The second scene (the "off" scene) triggers when the temperature sensor goes above a certain setpoint, and control the ZW096 to turn off.

Hi rigpapa,

Never thought about it like that. Only thing is i would also like to add that it only happens between certain times too... I somewhat struggles to create a scene that had 2 triggers.

ie, between 8pm and 5am, if the temp falls below 19C, turn the heater on. At all ther times the heater should be off?

As for the batteries, the ZW100 sensor has a USB input for power, so it will always be 100%. Which i thought was pretty good as the ZW096 just happens to have a USB charging point... Made for each other.. :p\

Cheers,
JB

Offline kev b

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 08:23:54 am »
In UI7, you can restrict the trigger to certain times. When you've made the trigger, click on the clock icon to the right. You can set your times there. I haven't done this, but I think it will do what you want.

Offline doinitsideways

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 07:29:59 pm »
Thanks Kev!

Cheers,
JB

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 01:20:38 am »
Do not confuse time schedules for time constraints.
The first is a trigger, the second would restrict some other trigger.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 01:22:28 am by RichardTSchaefer »

Offline doinitsideways

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 05:24:43 pm »
Do not confuse time schedules for time constraints.
The first is a trigger, the second would restrict some other trigger.

I somewhat get what you are saying, but im a little confused on which does what... as in, how do i setup a time trigger vs a time constraint.

Ie, something turns on at a certain time? (currently i have external lights use the day/night + 30minutes to turn on) and a schedule trigger to turn them off at 8pm.

Is the method mentioned in the above posts the time constraint?

Kind Regards,
Josh

Offline opel-oleg

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 12:38:12 pm »

I'd like to have the room temperature from the sensor as the current temp and be able to set a temp and turn the heater on or off etc...

Hi
Let me remind you of one topic.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,42397.0.html

At me, in a summer small house, three such thermostats with oil heaters work. This is salvation.
Thanks to the authors
Scenes choose modes and on time

Cheers,
Oleg