Author Topic: Energy Monitoring Device  (Read 5274 times)

Offline MarkC

Energy Monitoring Device
« on: April 23, 2011, 09:19:36 am »
Hi All,

I'm looking for an energy monitoring device to use with my Vera 2. I've read about the Aeon Labs unit on here but it appears to be unavailable. Does anyone know of any other unit I can use or when the Aeon Labs unit might become available again?

Thanks for your help,

Mark

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
Re: Energy Monitoring Device
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 09:29:52 am »
There's some (recent) threads on this subject.

Anyway, the TED5000 is an alternative. More money, but more functionality, and more accurate.

Note that there is nothing Z-Wave about TED5000, but @woodsby wrote a plug-in for Vera, so you can see your consumption in Vera, as well as on cp.mios.com. This is in addition to TED's built-in web GUI and Google PowerMeter functionality.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 09:39:17 am by oTi@ »
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline MarkC

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 09:54:08 am »
Yes, thanks! I was just reading about that when you replied to my thread, thank you.

I just posted a question about the plugin so I'm hoping someone can let me know if I can monitor Kw's in real time and take action if it goes over a certain amount. If it does, I'll be ordering one on Monday :-)

Thanks again,

Mark

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 10:23:28 am »
I just posted a question about the plugin so I'm hoping someone can let me know if I can monitor Kw's in real time and take action if it goes over a certain amount.
It does. Linking to the other thread.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline tbever

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 12:53:45 am »
I ordered one of these today and will be interested in the plug-in also.

Does anyone know if the current smart power meters have any real time monitoring capabilities like that?  Mine is from Oncor in North Texas, made by Landis.  It is a Gridstream RF Focus AXR-SD.  On the Landis website they show a remote monitor but it does not look like it gives the same kind of information that the TED5000 does.  On the other hand it has a zigbee wireless connection which becomes much more interesting since the TED is based on a powerline network.  I had to ditch my old X10 system due to unreliability with X10.  I am not sure if the zigbee connection is open for anything other than their own monitor however.

http://www.landisgyr.com/na/en/pub/products_na.cfm?eventProducts=products.ProductDetails&ID=258&catID=91

Offline fronobulax

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 10:29:17 am »
I'm looking for an energy monitoring device to use with my Vera 2. I've read about the Aeon Labs unit on here but it appears to be unavailable. Does anyone know of any other unit I can use or when the Aeon Labs unit might become available again?
I just received my Aeon Labs unit last week, it was on back order for a month. I plan to install it this weekend...