We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Migration from Schlage Link to MiCasaVerde  (Read 5023 times)

Offline kgrr

• My obsession: Totally automating my townhouse
Migration from Schlage Link to MiCasaVerde
« on: July 18, 2011, 12:32:52 pm »
I have a Schlage LiNK Wireless Keypad Deadbolt Starter Kit System, the Schlage video camera, the Trane thermostat, and a handful of other GE Z-Wave compatible dimmers and switches.  I am interested in getting rid of the Schlage LiNK bridge, its associated web-based interface (reachable only over the Internet), and most of all its over-priced yearly/or monthly fee.  I have suffered through too many of their outages while at the same time having perfectly good Internet connectivity.  I am concerned that RadioShack has pulled all sales of the product line and that I might be left with a system without control when Schlage eventually drops support and their costly service.

From reading the forum so far, it sounds like all of the Z-wave switches and dimmers will transition well.  The Thermostat also seems to be a no-brainer.  The Schlage camera may work after a firmware upgrade.  I also understand that the Schlage iLink lock may be supported on MiCasaVerde.

How about the programming?  From the forum it looks pretty obvious as to how to trigger a scene from events like the opening of a lock.  It looks like my existing scenes be easily translated into MiCasaVerde configs.  Are there some good hints or shortcuts?  Can they be driven by a schedule?
---------------------
Vera2 (1.5.255, UI5); ACT ZRW113W; Aeon HEM, SmartSwitch, GE/Jasco 45600, 45601, 45602, 45603, 45604, 45605, 45606, 45609, 45614; Hawking HRDS1; Intermatic CA9000; Schlage BE369GR, WCE100; SQ Blaster Plus; Squeezebox; Trane TZEMT400AB32MAA

Offline Intrepid

Re: Migration from Schlage Link to MiCasaVerde
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 02:55:03 pm »

From reading the forum so far, it sounds like all of the Z-wave switches and dimmers will transition well.  The Thermostat also seems to be a no-brainer.  The Schlage camera may work after a firmware upgrade.  I also understand that the Schlage iLink lock may be supported on MiCasaVerde.

I have a variety of GE modules and switches from the Radio Shack clearance all working perfectly with Vera.  I've also added some door sensors, motion sensors, and fan wall switches which are other brands...all work fine. 

I have the Trane tstat and some Schlage lever/deadbolts, and they've worked perfectly also.  I don't have the cameras.

How about the programming?  From the forum it looks pretty obvious as to how to trigger a scene from events like the opening of a lock.  It looks like my existing scenes be easily translated into MiCasaVerde configs.  Are there some good hints or shortcuts?  Can they be driven by a schedule?

Basic triggers (single or multiple 'OR' events) from zwave devices is simple GUI stuff, as are time-based events.  The only thing I've had to use scripting for is more complicated conditional triggers ('AND' triggers, or based on other device status, etc). 

I came from a Homeseer PC-based system, and it was very quick and easy to replicate my prior system with the Vera.  I love it.

Offline kgrr

• My obsession: Totally automating my townhouse
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 11:42:19 pm »
Intrepid,
From the hardware standpoint, it sounds like Vera2 will support door sensors and motion sensors that the Schlage bridge does not support.  I tried adding a Hawking HRDS1 to the Schlage system ... wouldn't talk to it.  Which sensors worked for you?

From the software standpoint, it sounds like Vera2 has more options with the scenes and scheduling of the scenes, including handling triggers from the sensors.

I will be buying a Vera2 with two smart switches.
---------------------
Vera2 (1.5.255, UI5); ACT ZRW113W; Aeon HEM, SmartSwitch, GE/Jasco 45600, 45601, 45602, 45603, 45604, 45605, 45606, 45609, 45614; Hawking HRDS1; Intermatic CA9000; Schlage BE369GR, WCE100; SQ Blaster Plus; Squeezebox; Trane TZEMT400AB32MAA

Offline Intrepid

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 07:00:56 am »
I'm using 4 HRDS1s.  The pair process may take a few tries of pressing the tamper sensor, but once paired they work well.  They've been rock solid with the exception of one which may be on the edge of the mesh and twice has needed to be manually polled (still worked but lost battery status and needed to be manually polled).

For motion, I use 3 CA9000s (Intermatic, I think).  They work well too.

The only zwave item that I've had problems with is scene controllers (GE remotes), but that seems to be a design problem with the  remote or a zwave spec issue with the remote.  On scenes are seen by vera, but off scenes don't work as expected.  I don't fully understand the reasons, but there are tons of threads on 45601 remotes.

Offline kaldoon

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 07:10:16 am »
From the hardware standpoint, it sounds like Vera2 will support door sensors and motion sensors that the Schlage bridge does not support.  I tried adding a Hawking HRDS1 to the Schlage system ... wouldn't talk to it.  Which sensors worked for you?
One of the issues with the Link System today - the fact that there are lot auxiliary devices including Z-Wave Sensors that are compatible. MiCasaVerde has been pretty good about adding the new devices as they hit the market  8)