We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Schlage Dead Bolt - "failed at getting name" msg  (Read 8361 times)

Offline tscott

• Sr. Newbie
Schlage Dead Bolt - "failed at getting name" msg
« on: May 06, 2011, 09:47:12 am »
Quick Question - I installed a Schlage Dead Bolt last weekend and was working fine.  Yesterday i installed several lamp switches and completed a stress test.  The results came back and now the Dead Bolt is showing "failed at getting name". 

I'm new to this and can't seem to figure out why?  I also have a Schlage Level Lock and it is working fine.

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

thanks.

Offline JOD

Re: Schlage Dead Bolt - "failed at getting name" msg
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 04:43:01 pm »
We are going to have to make a few assumptions here.

You did not do a configure node?

You did not run a heal network with configure nodes?

A stress test would not unconfigure your lock but obviously would stress it, I assume you checked the batteries? Weak batteries will reduce the range.

There were reports recently of devices becoming unconfigured so I have to assume you are running  1.1.1245?

Let us know.

JOD.
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

Offline ballroller

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 10:41:57 pm »
I will add a data point to this. Running 1.1.1047. When I switched from UI2 to UI4, I got/ am getting the same message as Tsscott on that unit only. Have tried configuring, healing. Nothing seems to work. I know my battery is around 65%, but its literally 4 feet from a Leviton Zwave switch, 10 ft from another, and 15 feet from another Schlage.

Does it make any sense to exclude and then re-include? What happens to the built-in codes?

Offline kaldoon

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 08:20:33 am »
Leviton switches today do not support the beaming technology used in the Locks. The new VRC0P-1LW http://www.smarthome-products.com/p-802-vizia-rf-vrc0p-1lw-plug-in-serial-interface-module-rs232-ascii-interface.aspx supports the beaming technology and the VRP03-1LW Dimmer Module which is due out somtime in June will be the first Leviton Z-Wave device  8)

Offline JOD

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 09:16:27 am »
@ballroller,
The biggest problem you have is that all your devices are trying to communicate directly with Vera regardless of any beaming devices you may or may not have. Try taking Vera closer to the lock to configure it. Or better yet, upgrade your FW and utilize the heal network function, it does not work in .1047

Personally I would not exclude to include.

JOD.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 09:55:35 am »
Interesting though that the upgrade to .1047 (@ballroller) and adding devices (@tscott) seems to have broken communications with a lock that was functional before those changes.

As @JOD said, get Vera closer to the lock, if able, and see if that fixes things, with .1245, so routing works.

Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline ballroller

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 10:21:22 am »
A couple of points.

@kaldoon  Isn't Z-wave Z-wave? What is beaming technology? Now I'm completely confused that one Z-wave product can't communicate with othe Z-wave products? What am I missing?

@JOD  I upgraded to 1.1.1183 last night and have the same issues. I am going to move Vera right after this post and see if that makes a difference.

@oTi@ Is .1245 stable enough to upgrade to yet?

@tscott- I didn't mean to hijack your thread- I can start another if you prefer.

edit: it's going to be a bit before moving Vera- I had left my battery pack to "on" and it's dead...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 10:25:33 am by ballroller »

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 10:49:30 am »
A couple of points.

@kaldoon  Isn't Z-wave Z-wave? What is beaming technology? Now I'm completely confused that one Z-wave product can't communicate with othe Z-wave products? What am I missing?

@JOD  I upgraded to 1.1.1183 last night and have the same issues. I am going to move Vera right after this post and see if that makes a difference.

@oTi@ Is .1245 stable enough to upgrade to yet?

@tscott- I didn't mean to hijack your thread- I can start another if you prefer.

edit: it's going to be a bit before moving Vera- I had left my battery pack to "on" and it's dead...
@ballroller,
You mentioned you have Leviton switches near your lock. Typical advice is to place a beaming Z-Wave device near your lock to see if communications improve. But the Leviton's don't necessarily support beaming, so this wouldn't help (hence @kaldoon's remark). But perhaps your statement was just to point out that other devices near the lock work fine? (Beaming is a feature that was added to Z-Wave to help relay messages to battery operated devices, to extend battery life. Cheapest way is to have one of the GE plug-in modules near your lock.)

My guess is that @JOD meant for you to upgrade to .1245 and Z-Wave 3.20, as anything prior will have the Z-Wave bug where the routing table always says a device can be reached directly. I just meant to second that advice. But of course the migration to .1245 / 3.20 could present other issues. Personally, I'm happy with .1245 (and I have migrated; never done a Z-Wave Reset.). So perhaps try moving closer first (so we can be sure Vera can talk to the lock directly) and see if that helps. If you decide to upgrade, make sure to have backups.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 10:54:18 am by oTi@ »
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline JOD

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 11:08:58 am »
Or better yet, upgrade your FW and utilize the heal network function
You have to run the heal network to set the routes. If not, everything will stay at hop 1.
I've been running 1245 since the announcement with no issues, I did not make the switch to 3.2 as I'm running the Aeon dongle but the heal network works regardless and I can see my locks are at hop 2 (routed through a T-stat) by using ThinkEssentials.

3.2 gives you a different routing algorithm created by MCV which you will see as Edge Node in the heal report.

I'm VERY happy with this RC.

JOD.

Offline ballroller

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 02:06:38 pm »
Update.

I did a heal network- no change to the failure error.

Took Vera and put it within 8 feet of the Schlage- hit a couple of pin codes to wake it up. Still seeing a failure error.

I am going to change the batteries although I know they are good....

Offline ballroller

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 03:59:09 pm »
Batteries changed.

Failed at getting secured classes.

Why did this work beautifully with UI2 and not with UI4?? Nothing has changed as to switches/motions/locks,  or Vera's location.

Offline ballroller

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 04:10:48 pm »
After reading the .1245 beta thread and the issues that a lot of folks have, I  am a bit ambivalent to do that upgrade until it's stable. You have a much higher command of the software than many of us. While I like to experiment, I really like the way that my system is working-except for that one Schlage lock-and don't want to flip the boat.

Or better yet, upgrade your FW and utilize the heal network function
You have to run the heal network to set the routes. If not, everything will stay at hop 1.
I've been running 1245 since the announcement with no issues, I did not make the switch to 3.2 as I'm running the Aeon dongle but the heal network works regardless and I can see my locks are at hop 2 (routed through a T-stat) by using ThinkEssentials.

3.2 gives you a different routing algorithm created by MCV which you will see as Edge Node in the heal report.

I'm VERY happy with this RC.

JOD.

Offline tscott

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 12:10:47 pm »
All, thanks for the help.  I ended up removing the locks and resetting my z -wave network.  Reinstalling all my devices and it's all working now.  I think when i first included the lock, I didn't give it enough time to properly set.  It seems to be working perfectly now.

Thanks

Offline ballroller

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 06:12:28 pm »
When you exclude the lock and then re-include it, does it keep the codes that you created before the exclusion? I know the physical lock will do so, but what does the software show?

Thanks.

All, thanks for the help.  I ended up removing the locks and resetting my z -wave network.  Reinstalling all my devices and it's all working now.  I think when i first included the lock, I didn't give it enough time to properly set.  It seems to be working perfectly now.

Thanks

Offline tscott

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 06:16:17 pm »
I had to exclude and then do a lock reset.  All seems good now.