We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: UI4: IR controlled devices not available in remotes  (Read 20708 times)

Offline alexlui

Re: UI4: IR controlled devices not available in remotes
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2011, 05:01:13 am »
Hi OtisPreslsy,

Instead of using smartphone to remote control IR devices, have you ever controlled the IR devices ( Samsung TV in your case ) by running a scene from PC browser? I have no idea how to configure it correctly. TIA
Vera2 (UI5), Vera3 (UI5), Vera Edge, Vera Plus

Offline OtisPresley

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2011, 10:28:30 am »
Hi OtisPreslsy,

Instead of using smartphone to remote control IR devices, have you ever controlled the IR devices ( Samsung TV in your case ) by running a scene from PC browser? I have no idea how to configure it correctly. TIA

Hi alexlui,

Once you have the device added to control, in my case the Samsung TV, then just create a scene, go to the Advanced tab, select the device in the drop-down, click Add, select the command to send.

Select Add for each new device and command you want to add.  This method is good when you only want to send a single command or series/group of commands.  The reason it does not work for me is that a new scene has to be created for each command or group of commands you want to send, which will quickly get out of control.  This is why I need the remote control functionality to work.

I hope this helps.

Offline alexlui

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011, 04:10:17 am »
Hi OtisPreslsy,

Thanks for your help. It now works great. BTW, do you know how to add a new device which is not listed in the device type and manufacturer? As I can learn the IR codes via the iLearn utility from Global Cache, do you have any idea what to do next? TIA
Vera2 (UI5), Vera3 (UI5), Vera Edge, Vera Plus

Offline teonebello

• Macs, Home Automation, Bikers
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2011, 04:31:03 am »
Hi,

as you are expert on USBUIRT, I have a question for you.

I have my USB UIRT connect to my Vera and it is working.

It works maybe for a day then after some scenes or command is not working anymore until I restart my Vera.

Do you have any idea how to solve this issue?

I use the USB UIRT to start my hifi every monring, but it works only the first day.

Thank you

Regards,
Matteo

Offline OtisPresley

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2011, 09:19:13 am »
Hi OtisPreslsy,

Thanks for your help. It now works great. BTW, do you know how to add a new device which is not listed in the device type and manufacturer? As I can learn the IR codes via the iLearn utility from Global Cache, do you have any idea what to do next? TIA

Hi alexlui,

In order to add a device that is not in the database, you have to create your own XML files with the Pronto codes for the functions you want.  You can start by adding an IR device to your Vera2 that is in the database and let it download the files.  Then, go to MiOS Developers in the control panel and click the Luup files tab.  This is where you can download and upload files.  Download the XML files that start with 'D_' and 'I_' for the device you just downloaded.  You can replace the codes for like functions with the correct Pronto code for your device.  It is fairly easy to see how to add new functions as well.  Once done, you can rename your files to your liking and upload them to your Vera from the same tab where you downloaded the original files.  A lot of the Pronto codes can be found at http://www.remotecentral.com/.  If you have any questions, there is documentation in the Wiki sites.

Offline OtisPresley

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2011, 09:23:11 am »
Hi,

It works maybe for a day then after some scenes or command is not working anymore until I restart my Vera.

I use the USB UIRT to start my hifi every monring, but it works only the first day.

Thank you

Regards,
Matteo

Hi teonebello,

I have never used USB UIRT before, so I am not familiar with it.  I have the Global Cache GC-100.  It sounds like there may be a problem with your Vera or the USB UIRT hardware.  Since it works at first and then stops, I would suggest opening a support case on it and have them look at it. 

Offline Thorden

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2011, 04:35:44 pm »

Hi alexlui,

In order to add a device that is not in the database, you have to create your own XML files with the Pronto codes for the functions you want.  You can start by adding an IR device to your Vera2 that is in the database and let it download the files.  Then, go to MiOS Developers in the control panel and click the Luup files tab.  This is where you can download and upload files.  Download the XML files that start with 'D_' and 'I_' for the device you just downloaded.  You can replace the codes for like functions with the correct Pronto code for your device.  It is fairly easy to see how to add new functions as well.  Once done, you can rename your files to your liking and upload them to your Vera from the same tab where you downloaded the original files.  A lot of the Pronto codes can be found at http://www.remotecentral.com/.  If you have any questions, there is documentation in the Wiki sites.

What am I supposed to do with the D_ file? There are no Pronto codes there, and it refers to one other XML for each service defined. Is it just to change the Device information?

I've tried to download several devices, but no luck so far. They work with USB-UIRT when I browse the device and press "test", but there is no way I can trigger a scene so that USB-UIRT emits anything at all after that. "Failed to download all plugins" is the most common message, but even when it suceeds, I can't get a single signal out of the IR emitter.

Not to mention the problem discussed earlier in this thread, adding a remote and accessing it with the iPhone. It just doesn't happen!
The Wiki that describes it here http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Intro_Universal_Remote seems to be old (like most of the Wiki), and following it step-by-step produces no result. Just not good enough!

Of all Linux/OpenSource based boxes I have been fooling around with, like DD-WRT routers and cable decoders, Vera is by far the most immature. I had big expectations before getting it, but my conclusion is that all it can do so far is pretty basic Z-wave stuff. It is buggy and very user-unfriendly, and it has a looong way to go before it can be anything like the advertisement says it can.

Offline OtisPresley

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2011, 06:02:08 pm »
Hey Thorden,

I can definitely understand your frustration.  I am definitely no expert on creating custom device files, but it looks like that the D_ file describes the services the device uses and the I_ file contains the functions and Pronto codes.  Some of these things will be relevant to your device and some will not.

It sure sounds like the operation of your Vera is hit or miss.  I know that when I still had my Samsung TV, I was able to add it and it did work in the test just like you mentioned.  Then, I created a scene, and used the advanced tab to select the TV and then the add button, and I would get a long list of IR commands I could send to it.  They are sorted by the ServiceID.  The problem is that it doesn't just list the commands that are specified in your implementation (I_) file, so you have to be certain you are choosing the right command.  I was then able to run the scene and have it successfully send the command to the TV.  That was a few code revisions ago though, and I no longer have the TV and don't even have my GC-100 hooked up anymore.  I just gave up on it.

I have since built a Home Theater PC with a dual tuner card in it.  This way, I don't have to switch inputs on the TV, and I only have to switch on the receiver when I want to use the Xbox 360.  I am using XBMC, so I plan on getting the Pulse-Eight USB CEC adapter to allow my HTPC to control the power to the TV and the receiver (when I get one that supports HDMI CEC).

The documentation for this product is nearly non-existent, and it even links to outdated documentation in the UI!  The documentation for UI4 was never complete, and the previous documents just don't cut it for UI4.  docs2.mios.com is the documentation site for UI4.  It has a bit more than it used to but is still very lacking.

I sure hope they get it straight with UI5, but I cannot have high hopes based on my experiences with this company so far.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 06:03:49 pm by OtisPreslsy »

Offline Thorden

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2011, 06:23:48 pm »
Hi Otis,

Thanks for trying!

I got the USB-UIRT to send something in a scene using the advanced tab now, no clue why it suddenly worked. I added a command as "do nothing" on an appliance switch, that might have done the trick.

I then edited the D- and I_ files from the device that worked to match the codes of one of my devices (none of them in the database). Then saved the files with new names (still D_ and I_ prefix), and uploaded them as new LUUP files. Now what? How do I create a device that uses USB-UIRT based on these new files? Or am I just supposed to overwrite the existing ones?

Just got USB-UIRT, thought "how hard can it be?" Didn't go for SQBlaster to save a few bucks. Guess that was a stupid move! Or is SQBlaster really "plug'n play"?
I have an IT degree and 20+ years experience in the field, so it's not that I'm not able to make this work. I just don't have the time, nor do I find it very amusing. I just want to configure the thing and make it work without too much hassle.   :-\ 

Offline OtisPresley

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2011, 07:58:01 pm »
What you do is copy the device_type from the Advanced tab of a device that is the same type (TV, Light Switch, etc), click on MiOS developers at the top of the UI, go to the Create device tab, and enter the Device Type, UpnpDevFilename (D_), and UpnpImpFilename (I_) and then click Create Device.  A new device will then appear that you came name and fill out the rest of the settings for.

Here is a list of device types if you need it: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_UPNP_Files#Device_Types

From what I see in here, a lot of people use SQBlaster and are happy with it.  I cannot use it because I have an Android phone instead of an iPhone.  I agree that there is a big learning curve on this product because there is little documentation and the UI is not as intuitive as it could be.  I have spent many, many hours searching the forums and the net in order to get mine working, and I haven't really gotten down into Lua code yet, beyond configuring scenes to determine if it is night time.

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 10:01:22 am by OtisPreslsy »

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2011, 01:51:27 am »
After creating the IR-Device, from your hand-created/edited IR Plugin files, you also need to goto it's settings Tab and "associate" the IR Transmitter that'll be used to actually send the Pronto Codes of this IR-Device... since you might have a few in your system.

I've attached Screenshots of the Developer Device Creation Dialog, roughly filled out, as well as the IR-Transmitter association Tab of the IR-Device... once it's been created.

Oh, and the usual "Save" dance, of course ;)

Offline teonebello

• Macs, Home Automation, Bikers
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2011, 07:41:11 am »
I discovered that I have that I have two USB UIRT xml lump file.

Do you believe that this can cause the stop working of the USB UIRT?

I'm really sad for this problem, as I lost a lot time and I cannot solve it.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

Hi,

Thank you

Regards,
Matteo

Hi teonebello,

I have never used USB UIRT before, so I am not familiar with it.  I have the Global Cache GC-100.  It sounds like there may be a problem with your Vera or the USB UIRT hardware.  Since it works at first and then stops, I would suggest opening a support case on it and have them look at it.

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2011, 02:54:54 am »
I discovered that I have that I have two USB UIRT xml lump file.

Do you believe that this can cause the stop working of the USB UIRT?
If two are showing in the UI, then there's one "copy" of the files in both of the directories:
    /etc/cmh-lu   AND;
    /etc/cmh-ludl

No idea how it got that way, or how to determine which is the "correct" one to use.  I believe the one in /etc/cmh-ludl user plugins directory "overrides" anything in the system plugins directory.

You'd have to do this via SSH.  If you use the "view" link in the UI, they'll show the same version of the file (from the /etc/cmh-ludl directory, if I remember correctly)

Honestly though, I'd submit a ticket for this problem so that you'd have a hope of getting it diag'd at the Log level.  Chances are that a Verbose-Logging-enabled ticket, showing the USBUIRT not functioning, with a capture of attempts to run some IR Commands, would net the issue in the log... something that a trained eye is needed in terms of review.

Offline OtisPresley

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2011, 11:35:10 am »
Can anyone verify whether the remote functionality even exists in UI5?  There is no longer a Remote tab in a scene.  I am on 1.5.236, but my GC-100 is no longer connected, so I cannot add an IR device to test to see if it has maybe moved to the device control pad.  Just like with UI4, the documentation for UI5 is quite lacking at this point and obviously incomplete.

Offline visco3

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2011, 12:25:08 pm »
Just got an USB-UIRT to use with Vera2.

Same problem here with last Vera 2 firmware.
7) Click the drop-down list for -- Send command to device --. I only see my room names here and no devices

I can set different scene and use the scene with iVera, tought this is not the best solution for Av control.
BTW my goal is to use my ipad and an app to control the TV and lights.
iVera is not the best thing to do. MAy I use some other app who has a large image and calls a scene if I press on an area of the picture?
Maybe Irule can do it, but I lost light dimmer control?
Thanks
Andrea