We have moved at community.getvera.com

Poll

Was this walkthrough usefull?

YES
NO
Dont know
Its too complicated for me
too dangerous, i havent tried

Author Topic: [How To]: Remove obsolete xml files from vera [CAREFULL WHEN USING THIS!]  (Read 13830 times)

Offline Henk

Thanks to computerjohn at thread
i used his walkthrough and tweaked it here and there to enable (experienced) users, comfortable with linux command lines and ssh, to remove obsolete xml files (like the UPnP xml files generated from UPnP devices detected by vera in your home network.

Its my experience that a lot of tweaking clutters up the MiOS developers plugin LUUP files section.
This walkthrough can be used to CAREFULLY (i cannot stress this enough) remove certain obsolete files.

Remove ONLY files of which you are CERTAIN are obsolete.

--------------------------edit-------------------------------------------
referal:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=5154.msg35073#msg35073

#To gain access to Vera via SSH you will need a SSH client program. For Window users, you can use PuTTY. Very simple and open source.
#You can download it from http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

#After you download it, run PuTTY. Under Host Name type your IP address to your Vera (for example: 192.168.1.xxx), leave Port number 22 alone, change connection
#type to SSH (default) and click Open.

#At Login type:

root
#hit <Enter>
#The password you need is located on the label under your Vera unit assigned to WiFI Pass.
#Type the password and hit <Enter>

#You now should have access to your Vera's Root directory and it should display something like this:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BusyBox v1.15.3 (2010-06-10 18:19:49 PDT) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

---------------------------------------------------
  ***      MiOS LTD. ( www.mios.com )        ***
  ***               WARNING :                ***
  *** Any changes made to the system without ***
  *** guidance from MiOS support will VOID   ***
  *** your future Support requests           ***
 ---------------------------------------------------

root@MiOS_xxxxx:~# (the xxxxx will be your Vera's name)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. If you delete or modify the wrong file you may brick your Vera!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#You can not remove files in the cmh-ludl directory from the root directory. You will get an error message stating "Permission denied".
#Instead type;

chdir /etc/cmh-ludl
#hit enter

#It should now say root@MiOS_xxxxx:/etc/cmh-ludl#
#To display a list of all the files in this folder, type;

ls

#hit <Enter>, BTW that is LS in lowercase, linux is case sensitive ;-))
#Make sure you write down the EXACT names of the files you want to remove
#(For example: D_Weather.xml.lzo) XML files are sometimes renamed to xxxxx.xml.lzo for the internal workings of LUUP

#Now for removing the unwanted files.(For instance my UPnP files looked something like "D_FUP_uuid faxxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.xml")
#To do this type:

rm -i *FUP*

#hit <Enter> Linux will confirm if you want to do this. type

Y
#to confirm every file you want to be deleted, type

N
#for files you want to keep and hit <Enter>.
#After all unwanted files have been deleted. type
ls

#hit <Enter> and see if all unwanted files have been removed. If they have, type

exit
#and hit <Enter>.
#The PuTTY program will close.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please give me feedback if this was usefull and/or should be improved.

Regards,

Henk
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:00:14 pm by Henk »
| Vera2 @ UI4 1.1.1350 / 3.20 | Vera Lite @ UI5 | Vera 3 @ UI5 | 2x Merten  504519 | 1x Duewi  064374 | 1x Everspring SM103 doorbell mod |1 Y-cam IP cam | various LUUP plugins |

Offline Henk

Item has been moved to the wiki.

To be found here:
http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php?title=Remove_Obsolete_Files

More HOWTO's can be found here:
http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Category:How_To
| Vera2 @ UI4 1.1.1350 / 3.20 | Vera Lite @ UI5 | Vera 3 @ UI5 | 2x Merten  504519 | 1x Duewi  064374 | 1x Everspring SM103 doorbell mod |1 Y-cam IP cam | various LUUP plugins |

Offline Snotneus

Hi,

I am new to Vera, but liked your HowTO very much.

I would like to vote, but HowTo??

Thanks.

Offline Henk

Hi,

I am new to Vera, but liked your HowTO very much.

I would like to vote, but HowTo??

Thanks.

@snotneus

Graag gedaan.

Maybe you would find other How To's interesting too?
You might check here
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:00:31 pm by Henk »