Author Topic: Observations of Veralert  (Read 4062 times)

Offline Boyo

Observations of Veralert
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:14:39 am »
Apparently there's another forum area that I haven't been monitoring because this is the first i've seen this.

I'll start with, it's insanely quick and I'm loving it.

On to my observations:
  • I would like to see a history built into the app, showing date/time of notification. Also ensuring that the time generated is sent from Vera and not the server when it was received. Short story behind this, I got 3 notifications one day that my front door had been opened when nobody was home and if it had not been for the time stamps in the emails/texts I would have called the police, turns out it was just lag in the notification system.
  • On the Alert Tones, I would like to see the name of the current ringtone being used in the list, instead of having to try to remember which alert does what sound.
  • Multiple device support.
  • Ensure timestamp is in the proper time zone. When using http://vera-alert.appspot.com/list?recipient= it shows "Thu, 12 May 2011 13:46:29 +0000" instead of what I would expect to be "Thu, 12 May 2011 09:46:29 -0500". Minimal, but would save on confusion.
  • It would be nice to have a way, without setting a scene for every user, to when a code is entered on a door lock, to send along the name associated with that code by maybe putting in 'Door opened by %code% AlertTone4', which would then send a message that says 'Door opened by Boyo' and play the appropriate sound.
  • On the note of wildcards in notifications, maybe add the option to put something like '%time%-Door opened by %code% AlertTone4' into the text, to produce '13:00-Door opened by Boyo' with the appropriate sound. This would be useful in cases where the person isn't with their phone and would see it in a quick glance when the event happened, when they return.
  • Every time I open the Veralert app on my phone, I get a message that says 'ID used is: xxxxx' and another that says 'registered'. It's just a minor annoyance to me, but if it's hitting the server every time it does that, it could cause unnecesseary server load when the project gets larger.
  • I was going to ask about when the phone had no data connection, but tested it using flight mode and triggering a notification. I'm glad to see that the notification comes through when the connection is restored. This again, would be another useful time for a timestamp on the notification.
  • Edit: One last thought, I don't personally have a use for it, but I could see it being useful for people with multiple Vera's to have a '%vera%' code for notifications to send the Vera ID as part of the notification. Ex: '%vera%-%time%-Door Opened by %code%'  would produce '1234-13:00-Door Opened by Boyo'

I think that's all I have for now, but i'm sure i'll come up with something else in the future.

Ray.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 10:17:31 am by Boyo »
Vera UI4 1.1.1183; Schalge Link Door Handle; HA18WD 3-Way/Single-Pole Switch x2; WDHA-12R - Wireless Gateway Module; Trane Thermostat; Retired: WDTC-20 - Z-Wave Enabled Thermostat

Offline ragmondo

Re: Observations of Veralert
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 10:30:01 am »
Really appreciate your feedback. When developing an app, I'm not sure what's worse - having a bad app that people install, use once and delete or a great app that people use all the time but never offer advice / suggestions. At least now I know that you like the app enough to want to see it improve and can take the time to make a post about how to move it forward.

I'm not going to go into the detail of each suggestion in this post but I'll answer them individually which would also hopefully solicit other suggestions from other users.

Offline Henk

• Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 03:29:26 pm »
Well maybe this is an obvious feedback, but IMHO still relevant.

Good for Android.. how about a port to iOS?
| Vera2 @ UI4 1.1.1350 / 3.20 | Vera Lite @ UI5 | Vera 3 @ UI5 | 2x Merten  504519 | 1x Duewi  064374 | 1x Everspring SM103 doorbell mod |1 Y-cam IP cam | various LUUP plugins |

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 03:52:47 pm »
Have you considered Prowl?
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline Henk

• Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 03:55:58 pm »
Have you considered Prowl?

I read the thread on Growl/Prowl yes.
Since Vera is all about saving energy this is not what i was looking for.
Im not running an always on client in my house that could run Growl on the serverside.

So the answer, yes i considered it. No, not the best solution for my situation.

Thx oTi@
| Vera2 @ UI4 1.1.1350 / 3.20 | Vera Lite @ UI5 | Vera 3 @ UI5 | 2x Merten  504519 | 1x Duewi  064374 | 1x Everspring SM103 doorbell mod |1 Y-cam IP cam | various LUUP plugins |

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 08:03:12 pm »
@Henk,
No server required. Vera talks directly to the Prowl notification server.
(@futzle's first post could be used for a How-To. There's some additional code snippets floating around as well (spaces coded as + etc.))
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:08:04 pm by oTi@ »
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline michaelk

• Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 12:16:10 pm »
i know it's a hundred days ago- but just in case anyone stumbles on this again looking for apple support.

If you can install googletalk on an apple device then veralert will use the googletalk push notifcations.  (also will alert you on a PC and presumably a mac)

I dont have an iphone- guick google looks like there's no googletalk app for the iphone to get push but there are 3rd party apps that will?