We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: [_CODE_] GWC - Google Weather Companion V0.3  (Read 22822 times)

Offline JOD

Re: [_CODE_] GWC - Google Weather Companion V0.2
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 07:56:16 pm »

IMHO if MCV doesn't care about the bug reports (for whatever reason), filing more bug reports seems to be the wrong strategy.
Not enough man power or time to get it all done. Don't we have any pull to triage the Mantis list as to what gets fixed next? There are a ton of "Assigned" tickets (some over a year old) so someone somewhere is deciding what get's fixed and what get's put on the back burner.

@guessed is right, we need to continue on the path and stance we took before, make a list and follow through with getting things fixed. What is the most important open ticket for you guys? Lets see if we can knock it off the list.

JOD.
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

Offline Henk

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 09:59:00 pm »
So what if we create a short-list of bugs and prioritize them and publish it signed as a group of testers?

We could simply provide a so called MoSCoW list of our own.
Normally you would do that with software requirements, but we could do it with a buglist with say 20 bugs that we feel need attention for a next build?

Maybe MCV would listen... Partially or maybe completely adopting the priority list.

My suggestion is;

Must: security flaws and much needed LUA changes
Should: Nasty bugs that have impact on System stability
Could: UI improvements and/or firmware enhancements
Would: quick fixes and minor bugs with a high irritation factor

thats my 2 cents!
| Vera2 @ UI4 1.1.1350 / 3.20 | Vera Lite @ UI5 | Vera 3 @ UI5 | 2x Merten  504519 | 1x Duewi  064374 | 1x Everspring SM103 doorbell mod |1 Y-cam IP cam | various LUUP plugins |

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 12:38:38 am »
My bug statistics as of today are:

• resolved: 5 (of which at least one bug (#1391) isn't fixed; I had to reopen it as #1473, and #1473 is still unassigned ...)
  • assigned: 8
  • new: 18

I'm not here to challenge your stats.  Filing bugs is a fact of life in all professional software development, along with prioritization to get the critical ones addressed (as bugs files >> bugs fixed in all SW eng)

What I need is the specific bug#'s for both the Security problem identified, as well as the Enhancement request for the HTML functionality you're currently using the Security hack for.

I did some hunting, but haven't managed to file those bugs/enh's yet so I need a little assistance from you on these.

I'm quite sure you purposely left the event implementation of your Weather plugin non-functioning in order to press MCV to fix bug #1038. Nothing happended, ... well, IIRC one user posted a 'fixed' version of your event definitions and other users are using Luup code to check the current Condition ...
As I indicated, I don't hack this stuff in anything for public consumption.  Instead, I simply document the problem, and move on.  If/when a problem rises to the top of the stack, then I focus on getting those issues addressed.

There are many, many more problems to address in Vera that are higher priority than #1038, so I don't pursue it further at this time.  The world won't stop if it's not fixed...

Anyhow, this is all standard software prioritization, nothing more, nothing less.  No hidden agenda's, as I'm quite open with Aaron and if I want something I ask for it explicitly.

IMHO if MCV doesn't care about the bug reports (for whatever reason), filing more bug reports seems to be the wrong strategy. Do you remember how much effort I had to invest in getting #1451 acknowledged (still unfixed)?

Like any startup, they have a limited # of people to work on a large array of both new functionality, and fixes.  Filing bugs isn't the wrong strategy, but it is only a component part of the right one.

Usually folks have a Product Manager type role that assigns, prioritizes and co-ordinates the field input.  The Beta forum is the nearest thing we have to that vehicle at this time.

Let's leverage it as we did for the latest round of Beta's.

Offline Ap15e

• Beta Testers
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 05:43:30 am »
Filing bugs is a fact of life in all professional software development

You're absolutely right - and so is a roadmap: http://bugs.micasaverde.com/roadmap_page.php (sorry, couldn't resist).

What I need is the specific bug#'s for both the Security problem identified, as well as the Enhancement request for the HTML functionality you're currently using the Security hack for.

Several posts:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=2134.msg8594#msg8594
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=2134.msg8936#msg8936
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=3604.msg17669#msg17669
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=3604.msg17672#msg17672
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=3488.msg16899#msg16899
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=3488.msg16902#msg16902

It all boils down to:
http://bugs.micasaverde.com/view.php?id=1484

If MCV thinks that code injection is a bad thing, MCV should

• refuse to certify plugins that dynamically load data from the internet and put the data - processed or unprocessed - into Luup variables (even your Google Weather plugin isn't immune to JavaScript injection via DNS spoofing ...) and
  • provide a secure HTML renderer (ECMAScript isn't an option for me due to security issues of its own).

Usually folks have a Product Manager type role that assigns, prioritizes and co-ordinates the field input.  The Beta forum is the nearest thing we have to that vehicle at this time.

Let's leverage it as we did for the latest round of Beta's.

Do we get payed as being MCV's product/change managers?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:04:50 am by Ap15e »

Offline micasaverde

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 11:20:40 am »
As far as what gets fixed in what priority, when customers file "guaranteed compatibility" claims with us, those are moved to the very top of the list because if we don't fix them in 30 days we have to pay out a claim.  So we've been working on the Aeon 4-in-1 sensor, the Merten scene controllers (which require implementing a new type of association command class), the Astral dimmers (which require custom timing), the Assa locks (which use a different type of user code), and a new PolyControl user key pad (new type of device).  Those all have had claims filed, so the Z-Wave developers (mainly me with 1 other newbie dev who's trying to learn) has been busy on that.  Both our web developers have been working on mios.com/phone, which is a much improved web-based phone control.  And this one is multi-language.  We've also created a new back-end translator and the UI4 is now in 13 languages (translated by regional distributors who offer Vera in their native languages), so we needed a multi-language phone control too.  This should be officially announced this week.

We also have the IT guys working on migrating the servers over to newer, more powerful servers since the current servers were getting old and having some reliability issues.  We brought in another developer who's working on a new support and call center system that guides the user online through common troubleshooting and if he needs live support, pre-arranges for an available support person and then gives the customer a call-in code that directly patches him through.  This new system will also log the volume of calls and what the issues are so we know where our customers pain points are.  The new phone system should be live next week.

We also closed a couple big OEM deals including a utility company that's rolling out an OEM version of Vera to thousands of customers in one of their regions.  They needed a whole new, stripped down and simplified version that focused on just energy management.  So there's a team of 4 guys working on those projects.

Lastly, we have 1 guy working on a new camera archiving system.  We're trying to fill the void Xanboo left when AT&T bought them and shut down their current dealer operation.  So we're implementing archiving of streaming video clips (not just still frames), with pre-roll PVR (ie when a sensor trips store video from 15 seconds prior), streaming video playback on the web and phones, etc.  We also have an agency working on UI5.  You can preview the concepts here: http://alexusart.com/ui5/  the goal is to eliminate having all these separate UI's like we do now (ie local Ui4, cp.mios portal, separate energy and video archiving, etc.).  In this case there's 1 and only 1 UI which blends both the local stuff and online stuff together, so it's exactly the same whether you access it remotely or locally.  For example, to view the device properties now you go to a local UI.  To view the device's events, you log onto cp.mios.  This confuses users to no end.  So now they're all in the device control and if you're operating locally without a cp.mios account, the 'event' tab just prompts you to login to your account.

Regarding the Mantis, when we get the new call center going we do want in parallel with that to revamp the bug system.  Right now the problem is that Mantis is filled with thousands of bug reports and some are not bugs (just tech support "my stuff isn't working"), and many are feature requests or things we can't/won't address for one reason or another.  We've had a guy whose job it is to go through all the mantis's and clean them out and figure out which ones are real vs. not, but he really struggled with knowing what was real vs. not and knowing who to assign them to.  So it's true that it's been neglected.  However it's not a waste to add them because when I finish the current compatibility issues, one of my projects is to go through all the open items in Mantis and clean it up.

Offline Ap15e

• Beta Testers
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 01:23:14 pm »
Thanks for the hint to http://www.mios.com/phone/ (AFAICT, the login is insecure ...). I'm sure you've invested a significant amount of effort and money in the development. I do understand that you have to push out new features and I do appreciate it, but I'd suggest not neglecting bug reports and forum discussions. I'll give you a simple example: how many developers have stumbled upon the fact, that notifications are coded as scenes? The old Smartphone plugin cannot tell notification scenes from normal scenes, and the same applies to the new http://www.mios.com/phone/. How many users will wonder why there are 'scenes' they've never seen before - and will place a support call?

Prioritizing bug reports is one of the toughest jobs, because the prioritizer has to know the inner workings of your OS in order to estimate the impact of a bug and the cost of fixing it. IMHO, by fixing the right bugs and providing decent documentation you could reduce the support calls and trouble tickets by a significant amount. To know where your customers pain points are is an important input for selecting the right bugs.

BTW, there is still no solution for my ticket #15623 ("Cannot upgrade my V1@1.1.1186 to latest firmware"; http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=6084.0).

http://alexusart.com/ui5/:
IMHO, one of the most important feature requests in the presentation layer domain is support for custom GUI elements (could be implemented by providing a HTML renderer via Luup). Using HTML injection (or the camera plugin ...) to display images and tables cannot be the last word - and: clients should be able to display the custom GUI elements.

things we can't/won't address for one reason or another.

Why not set the state of the bug to 'CLOSED/WON'T FIX'?

However it's not a waste to add them because when I finish the current compatibility issues, one of my projects is to go through all the open items in Mantis and clean it up.

I'm convinced that the community will continue to submit bug reports as long as MCV cares about bug reports.

Offline mcvflorin

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 04:26:07 am »
BTW, there is still no solution for my ticket #15623 ("Cannot upgrade my V1@1.1.1186 to latest firmware"; http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=6084.0).

AFAIK Ovidiu talked to you regarding this issue. It was something related to the OpenWRT image writing on the ROM. I thought it was fixed.

Offline Ap15e

• Beta Testers
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 10:20:07 am »
Ovidiu came to the conclusion that my problem 'is something for CJ'. I don't know whether CJ is working on my ticket.

Offline grybrd

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 02:39:57 pm »
Personally I would like to thank MCV for the above status post.  I also would think this type of post should be monthly and in the 'Company Log" so it stands on it's own.

Offline MNB

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 04:16:59 pm »
ditto!! this was requested a number of times... Along with a roadmap. @mcvflorin you have been welcomed addition and active within the forum which was sadly lacking prior to you as a MCV representative. As was state previously simple communications would go a long ways in informing the VERA user committee.

Also Would like to know if when are we moving to next official release or is .1235 the latest. Also when is Ui5 going to be available (tentative)?
Edge-1.7.2607, VRI06-1LX Dimr (6), VS05-1LX Sw (4), GE ZW3002 Dimr (1), HA01C Outlet (12), HA02C Sw (6), HA04C Sw (4), GE Sw (2), HA05 Sw (3), MiniMote Contr (5), HSM200/100 Sensor (2), ZW100A Sensor (8), Nest thermostat (1) & Protect Fire/CO (6) Kwikset Locks (3), F18918W (1) & IP3M-9 (6) Cam's

Offline micasaverde

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 06:09:49 pm »
.1245 is out actually, and is official.  micasaverde.com/vera2 will upgrade you.

All new Vera's get .1245 by default.  We're making it an automatic upgrade for all other users this week.

No ETA yet on UI5.  We're not satisfied with any of the mockups to pull the trigger on any design yet.

Offline m0jon

• @m0jon
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2011, 05:23:36 am »
Hi

The download link does not work for me. Any ideas?

m0jon

Offline Henk

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, 08:15:48 am »
Hi

The download link does not work for me. Any ideas?

m0jon

@m0jon

what browser are you using and what URL?!?
| Vera2 @ UI4 1.1.1350 / 3.20 | Vera Lite @ UI5 | Vera 3 @ UI5 | 2x Merten  504519 | 1x Duewi  064374 | 1x Everspring SM103 doorbell mod |1 Y-cam IP cam | various LUUP plugins |

Offline m0jon

• @m0jon
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2011, 03:38:07 am »
Hi Henk

I'm using Safari on a Mac Mini and the link i'm using is at the start of this thread in the setup instructions.

m0jon

Offline Henk

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2011, 05:39:15 am »
Hi Henk

I'm using Safari on a Mac Mini and the link i'm using is at the start of this thread in the setup instructions.

m0jon

@m0jon

For downloading Ap15e's code you need to sign in to your google/gmail account.
If you don't have one, your options are either to create an account with google or contact Ap15e for a solution

Henk