We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Understanding Trane Thermostat Energy Savings mode  (Read 22034 times)

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
Re: Understanding Trane Thermostat Energy Savings mode
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 11:14:20 am »
I've got two CA8900 thermostats in the same scenario. [...]
Assuming the ESM on the CA8900 is controlled through the on/off state (like it is for the Trane), try the following, and leave the "Device number*" field blank:
Code: [Select]
return (luup.variable_get("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1","Status",3) == "1")
You will get "Message sent successful." if the tstat is in normal mode.
You will get "Code failed" if the tstat is in ESM mode.

If that works, you could add the code to a scene and test that.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline DeltaNu1142

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 11:37:04 am »
Assuming the ESM on the CA8900 is controlled through the on/off state (like it is for the Trane), try the following, and leave the "Device number*" field blank:
return (luup.variable_get("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1","Status",3) == "1")
You will get "Message sent successful." if the tstat is in normal mode.
You will get "Code failed" if the tstat is in ESM mode.
If that works, you could add the code to a scene and test that.
That works!  Excellent.  I'll add it to each scene.  I assume for both thermostats (device ID's 3 and 5) I'll need some 'or' logic, such as:
return (luup.variable_get("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1","Status",3) == "1") or return (luup.variable_get("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1","Status",5) == "1")
?

Thanks for the help!
Vera 3 @ UI5 | HomeWave | PLEG

Offline tscott

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 12:51:54 pm »
I have posted before and received the advice to use the lump codes to control the Normal and ESM modes via scenes and a virtual switch. 

It seems on my last trip away from the house, the initial indications were that the thermostats were all set correctly in ESM, but the next day i noticed through the remote MIOS, the thermostats were back to the internal settings and running the normal schedules.  It appears the internal thermostat settings over rode the ESM.

Do we need to use any lump codes to set the Thermostats to ESM?  I have an event set up in the Scene's to run when the virtual switch is activated.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 01:58:14 pm »
[...]noticed[...]the thermostats were back to the internal settings and running the normal schedules.
Sounds like the thermostats were set back to Run mode. What was the state of the virtual switch that next day? (Assuming this is a Home/Away virtual switch, and setting it to Home would put the thermostats back in Run mode.)

Offline tscott

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 04:38:34 pm »
i don't think the virtual switch was changed back.  I have removed all the lump codes and just use the virtual switch as the event trigger for the scene.  Will this work?

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 11:33:03 pm »
i don't think the virtual switch was changed back.
Interesting.

I have removed all the lump codes and just use the virtual switch as the event trigger for the scene.  Will this work?
I believe so.

Offline RastusB2

• I KNEW I shouldn't have stomped those grapes!
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 08:20:08 pm »
oTi@
I have noticed that my Trane also keeps re-setting to the home setting.
It is placed into ESM by a virtual switch, and "A certain pin code is entered into the Schlage lock"
The Virtual switch is still on the next day but the Trane is back in "normal"
Here is my Luup code:

local ESM=luup.variable_get("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1","Status",53)

if (ESM == "1") then
luup.variable_set("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1","Status",0,53)
else
luup.variable_set("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1","Status",1,53)
    return false
end
return true

In the advanced setting, I only have "when all devices in the scene are properly set"
and nothing else. Should I have picked a device, from the drop down selection?

Thanks, RastusB2

[...]noticed[...]the thermostats were back to the internal settings and running the normal schedules.
Sounds like the thermostats were set back to Run mode. What was the state of the virtual switch that next day? (Assuming this is a Home/Away virtual switch, and setting it to Home would put the thermostats back in Run mode.)
GE/Jassco Duplex Outlets -16-, GE 3 Way Dimmer -6-, GE 2 Way Dimmers
-8-, GE Lamp Modules -6-. GE Appliance Module -8-, Leviton VRI06-1L  Vizia RF + 600W Incandescent Scene Capable Dimmer-VRI06-1LX, Schlage Dead Bolt, Schlage/Trane Thermostat, Schlage IP wired Camera -3,-Vera 3 UI5 v1.5.408

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 09:35:08 am »
Here is my Luup code: [...]
Where did you put the Luup / Is this in a separate scene triggered by the PIN code?

Offline RastusB2

• I KNEW I shouldn't have stomped those grapes!
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 05:34:53 pm »
My Virtual Device  I.D. is 53
The Virtual Device is turned on and off by a Certain Pin Code being entered in the Schlage lock.
In the Trane Event section, I chose my EMS Device #53 and then, from the drop down selection;
When a Device is turned on or off.
When I enter the Pin Code, the Virtual Device Light turns "ON" and the Trane displays "Transmit Sent" message but the Trane never enters EMS mode, nor does the Fan go into "Auto Mode". (currently, the fan is "ON" when in the "Normal Run Mode"

I placed this Luup code in the Trane thermostat's Luup area::

local ESM=luup.variable_get("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1","Status",53)

if (ESM == "1") then
luup.variable_set("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1","Status",0,53)
else
luup.variable_set("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1","Status",1,53)
    return false
end
return true
GE/Jassco Duplex Outlets -16-, GE 3 Way Dimmer -6-, GE 2 Way Dimmers
-8-, GE Lamp Modules -6-. GE Appliance Module -8-, Leviton VRI06-1L  Vizia RF + 600W Incandescent Scene Capable Dimmer-VRI06-1LX, Schlage Dead Bolt, Schlage/Trane Thermostat, Schlage IP wired Camera -3,-Vera 3 UI5 v1.5.408

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2011, 02:00:38 pm »
In the Trane Event section, I chose my EMS Device #53 and then, from the drop down selection;
When a Device is turned on or off.
OK; that sounds like the right way to go. But then instead of using code, you could just select the commands for the thermostat (mode to EMS, fan to Auto, etc.).

(The issue with the code above is that you are manipulating the virtual switch instead of the thermostat. Everything refers to device #53, your virtual switch.)

Sounds like you may have gotten past this. Let's continue in the other thread, so we don't have more cross posts.

Offline tscott

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 08:35:13 pm »
OTI,

does the "Energy) button on the Trane dashboard in the UI4 ever turn green when activated like the other commands.

I'm still having touble trying to set the Thermostat to EMS remotely.  Even going directly into the thermostat controls to try to set it.  It doesn't change the setting and doesn't turn green.

Thad 

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 07:02:17 am »
does the "Energy) button on the Trane dashboard in the UI4 ever turn green when activated like the other commands.
Not for me. Same for the fan controls. It's been a lingering issue I believe.

I'm still having touble trying to set the Thermostat to EMS remotely.  Even going directly into the thermostat controls to try to set it.  It doesn't change the setting and doesn't turn green.
Hmm. Even though the status is not shown, the actual switching of the state should work. Also, you can click on the thermometer icon of the thermostat to make it switch between EMS and Normal. Does that not work for you either? What firmware version are you on?

Offline hollowinder

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 04:35:32 pm »
OTI,

I am also a newbie to Vera and am installing the Trane Thermostat TZEMT400AB32MAA.  I was having the same issues with setting up the "away" scene so that it would not be overwritten by the other daily scenes.  I added the code you gave to tell the scenes not to run if the stat is in the "ESM" mode (as set in "away").  I then created a "return" scene without the code.  That works also - but now my other daily scenes will not work even if the unit is not in the "ESM" mode  (after running "return").  Here's the code I'm using.  My device I.D is 002.  Not sure if I got the format correct.

return (luup.variable_get("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1","Status",002) == "1")

Any Advice?

Offline blacey

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2011, 11:21:08 pm »
Normal mode == 0, Energy mode == 1.

I have also found that the PowerSwitch1 service's Status variable will not update if you change the ESM mode using the Thermostat's physical buttons, at least not for me ;)
Three Vera-3 (Home, Seasonal 1 & 2) - Firmware: 1.5.622,   Zwave: 3.20 L:1
One Vera-Edge (Dependent) - Firmware: 1.7.1707, Zwave: 4.5 L:1