We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: New User - what to use for a hot water recirculating pump  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Dmarr888

New User - what to use for a hot water recirculating pump
« on: February 10, 2013, 01:48:21 pm »
Hi -
I want to put the hot water recirculating pump on VeraLite.  Goal is to allow users in any bathroom or kitchen to turn on the pump to bring hot water to that location.  Then have pump shutoff.  I have an instant water heater using propane and this upgrade could be a great energy savings.
  • I want the recirculation pump to shut off in 8 minutes as that is the time it takes to make the entire 300ft run and bring hot water anywhere in the house.   
    The recirc pump is std 110 VAC about 5A.
    Are controllers available for this?
    Will z wave work if the only points in home are spread out.  Master bath is 75 ft + 1 floor from Vera, kitchen 40ft, lower bathrooms 100 ft - 1floor. ?
    I know thats far so how can I setup relay points so this is robust?
    Would you reccomend wall switches or ??
    I assume I can setup logic so that if the pump already activated nothing gets confused?

Thanks for the input, hoping this can be my starting point for adding more in the future.

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
Re: New User - what to use for a hot water recirculating pump
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 02:43:41 pm »
I use a relay-based Z-Wave Appliance module to control my pump.  In my case, it's a GE 45604 - Outdoor On/Off Module, but any of the relay-based ones would be fine (I also have a lot of the older ones from Monster/Leviton that would have worked just as well)

I use standard scenes to turn on the pump, but mostly it's just timed scenes to ensure it's running when we [primarily] need it.  The scenes we're using are all declarative (no luup) and as long as the "turn on now, turn off after NN minutes) is relatively short in duration you'll be fine (if Vera reboots, or restarts, the "turn off" part might not run)

Range is always a question with ZWave.  For the most part, it requires you to "try and see".  The ranges quoted are usually in "free air", and don't really account for walls, floors, wall materials, (etc).  The more solid these obstructions are, the more likelihood you'll need to have devices between the endpoints. 

There are a LOT of discussions here on the forum about range, but in practice, it's going to be a try-and-see approach (without specialized knowledge, or installer tools)

Offline Dmarr888

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 10:24:23 pm »
Thanks for the post, sounds like its fairly doable.  I just didn'y want to pop for Vera and then 4-5 switches plus relay and find out it would work.
Thanks again -
anyone else suggest any relays?

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 10:55:12 pm »
For alternatives, the Relay based stuff is generally referred to as an "Appliance Module".  They have 3 Pins instead of 2, and are rated for Inductive loads.  They plugin to a regular power outlet, and have one or more sockets that are controlled by an [internal] Relay.

My other ones are Monster Illuminessence ML-LAS1000's, which are rebranded Leviton Vizia RF+ modules.

There's a bunch of newer alternatives, you can check sites like ASIHome (etc) for a few options