Author Topic: Pool Gate Lock  (Read 4846 times)

Offline SuperflyMD

• Sr. Newbie
Pool Gate Lock
« on: May 17, 2011, 01:42:24 pm »
I didn't get a response on the setup forum, so I'll try here.

I'm looking for a z-wave solution on our pool gate. It needs to be self locking and resistant to the coastal environment. I want guests to have the same code for the pool as they have for their condos.

I have a couple of extra Schlage deadbolts, but I can't figure out a great way to make them work.

Offline JOD

• Beta Testers
Re: Pool Gate Lock
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 11:37:56 am »
I'm assuming you are asking about using a Z-Wave lock?
All the pool gates I've seen have had springs or door closers attached to close the gate.
I would be wary of using a deadbolt for auto locking in this case, A typical pool gate deadbolt has a spring loaded strike to where it acts the same as a leverset strike, I dont believe the Z-wave locks can work the same way.

I have a similar need for an exterior courtyard gate lock and was looking at using a Schlage leverset, just wasnt sure about the back push buttons and if it would be weatherproof.

I look forward to seeing some responses to your setup request that I can use for inspiration for mine.

JOD.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 12:42:36 am by JOD »
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

Offline SuperflyMD

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 04:28:15 pm »
Another option would be a keypad-controlled magnetic lock, but the same problem exists. I need to change the codes to limit access to current guests, and it needs to be childproof. Someone must be doing something like this.

Offline SuperflyMD

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 04:40:29 pm »
Maybe I could tear down a deadbolt and track the that turns on when the keypad sends the "unlock" signal. I could run this over to one of those magnetic locks so "unlock" would turn off the magnet. 

The keypad could be mounted on an adjacent column or something so that the part of the lock that would be on the inside of the door would be protected from the weather.