Author Topic: Zwave control?  (Read 4342 times)

Offline Cherokee180c

Zwave control?
« on: May 19, 2011, 01:13:52 pm »
Can I get clarification on Zwave control with the Square Connect Blaster?  In the CES video with Matt he said that the Zwave chip was built in to communicate with Zwave lighting systems, but reading the forum, I think that you need the Vera2?  Is that true?  I am thinking of buying Vera 2 anyway for other applications, but I just want to confirm.  Right now I have a 10 dimmer Zwave lighing network in my basement with the Vizia remote as the controller and (1) 4 button scene controller.  Can the SQ blaster just enable / disable the preset scenes in my scene controller and dim those lights without Vera2 in the loop?

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
Re: Zwave control?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 10:17:07 pm »
I think your referring to the SQBlaster Pro, which isn't released yet.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/sq-blaster-pro-is-a-wifi-z-wave-and-ir-blaster-home-automation/

The current generation SQBlaster can be integrated with a Vera unit, so that IR is done "via" the SQBlaster (initiated from either SQRemote, or via Scenes in Vera/MiOS).  To do that, you use the SQBlaster Plugin:

http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_sqblaster

and some scripts that transform the SQRemote "IR" files into a form that Vera/MiOS can understand.

You end up with a few different possible scenarios:

a) SQRemote -> SQBlaster
b) SQRemote -> MiOS/Vera -> SQBlaster
c) MiOS Scene/Vera -> SQBlaster

in addition to regular Z-Wave control direct from MiOS/Vera.  With the current generation SQBlaster you need a MiOS/Vera unit in order to talk to Z-Wave devices

Offline SquareConnectJohn

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 03:22:23 am »
For clarity, you don't need the SQ Blaster plugin to be able to control IR with the Blaster through SQ Remote... only if you want to use Scenes within Vera to control IR controlled equipment.
Square Connect Co-Founder

Offline Cherokee180c

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 08:17:11 am »
WOW!  That makes sense now. A few questionns though now as this clinches my decision to jump in 100%  with Square Connect.  Is the ETA still Q2 ie next month or has delivery slipped substantially?  I happen to own an Apple TV for the AirPlay capability and that was a brilliant design choice for the enclosure. I really didn't care for the wood, especially since my entire home theater is black brushed aluminum.

Will you have basic scene capability directly in the SQ blaster pro unit or will you only be able to trigger scenes from a separate scene controller?  In other words what capabilities do I lose without the Vera if you do a square connect only solution?  Man, I am super stoked right now!!!

Offline SquareConnectMat

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 08:08:37 pm »
@Cherokee180c

Some of these questions are best answered on the Square Connect forums (www.squareconnect.com), as MCV host these forums to help customers who use Vera and Square Conenct products....

That being said, forward looking statements on new products are always subject to a lot of ifs and buts... the Pro is being worked on as I write this, and it will have value as both an extention to a Vera network as well as standalone unit. But I cannot give any dates on when it will be avaialble. We have a lot of testing to still go through - and this stuff is complex.

If you are looking for a solution NOW, then Vera 2, the SQ Blaster and SQ Remote is a great combination of prducts that will work, and work well.

Hope this helps!

Mat