We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Why Create Variables? Example posted  (Read 10276 times)

Offline TimAlls

Why Create Variables? Example posted
« on: May 22, 2011, 10:42:54 pm »
I just finished testing a program that monitors new variables assigned to a device under the advanced tab. Take a look at the screen shot. The variables at the bottom are the ones I created. You can create them in a minutes time and read or write to them in Luup Code.  It is a long process to create virtual switches and they only handle on / off. This might be a better way to go.....Food for thought!
I can finish my code generator now that I am done with this.....i believe it will be easier to write code if you can monitor the variables in the code.....also you can push timers forward and watch results quickly.
Thoughts?
Tim
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 05:31:31 pm by TimAlls »

Offline FlyBoyBob

Re: Virtual Switches or Create Variables?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 07:59:13 am »
Excellent work Tim!

Your ideas here will save myself (and others hopefully) a LOT of headaches trying to implement "virtual switches".

Thanks for the help,
bob

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 11:31:31 am »
Excellent work Tim!
Your ideas here will save myself (and others hopefully) a LOT of headaches trying to implement "virtual switches".
Thanks for the help,
bob
@Guessed gave us the parameters in another thread......bottom line is to use a unique service ID, in my example it is "Tim", and then give the variable  what ever name you want. It works great!
I will be creating an "Enable" variable to over ride timer scenes when you want them switched off.
A "timer" variable for things like "door open for more than X amount of time".
A "time" variable for things like "is it between time X and Y"
and more.

Regards
Tim

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 09:33:53 pm »
FYI,
This method can be used without my software. Another advantage of this method is to expose variables you want to change.
EG. Create a variable called "offset" and use it to control how many minutes before sunrise to switch on.
Now using the Vera UI and going under the advanced tab where you created the variable, you can type over the value and press the "save" button and the offset is changed to the new value without digging into you Luup code.
More to come.....
Regards
Tim

Offline MNB

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 03:54:32 pm »
@TimAlls, Can you provide an example(s) (I too am a visual learner  ???) as to how you could use your technique, vice creating a virtual device (VD). I was going to create a VD that would turn "On" if both of my locks are locked and turn "Off" if one or the other door is unlocked for both a visual indicator and implement within Scenes. I saw the new report capability but did not realize who to interpret and/or use it. Mike
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:57:54 pm by Michael_N_Blackwell »
Edge-1.7.2607, VRI06-1LX Dimr (6), VS05-1LX Sw (4), GE ZW3002 Dimr (1), HA01C Outlet (12), HA02C Sw (6), HA04C Sw (4), GE Sw (2), HA05 Sw (3), MiniMote Contr (5), HSM200/100 Sensor (2), ZW100A Sensor (8), Nest thermostat (1) & Protect Fire/CO (6) Kwikset Locks (3), F18918W (1) & IP3M-9 (6) Cam's

Offline Ap15e

• Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 04:45:54 pm »
One point to note is that UPnP control points won't understand an user-defined service/variable. By using virtual Luup devices that adhere to the UPnP specification, chances are that UPnP control points are able to control your virtual Luup devices.

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 04:50:03 pm »
One point to note is that UPnP control points won't understand an user-defined service/variable. By using virtual Luup devices that adhere to the UPnP specification, chances are that UPnP control points are able to control your virtual Luup devices.
@Guessed indicated to use a unique service ID so that it can't be changed by anything but user code...
Explain if you agree or disagree.....or did I misunderstand him?
Regards
Tim

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 05:18:31 pm »
I am revising this post......new Service IDs being created and new example will be posted
later today. Thanks ....Tim
For more info read all the responses.

open a device and goto the advanced tab
Create a new Variable at the bottom.....first the Service, for this example use "Tim"
Then the Variable....enter "TimeA"
Under Value enter "10:00"
Close and Save (UI bug....don't try doing more than one....only the last one will be saved)
Create another Variable at the bottom....first the Service again make it "Tim"
Then the Variable....enter "TimeB"
Under Value enter "11:00"

now start a new scene and give it a job to turn off a light nearby.
goto the timer section and add a new timer to run every minute.
goto the Luup tab and paste in the following code:

local startTime = luup.variable_get("Tim","TimeA",52)
local endTime  = luup.variable_get("Tim","TimeB",52)

local hour = tonumber( startTime:sub( startTime:find("%d+") ) )
local minute = tonumber(startTime:sub(-2))

startTime = hour * 60 + minute
    luup.variable_set("Tim","STime",startTime,52)

hour = tonumber( endTime:sub( endTime:find("%d+") ) )
minute = tonumber(endTime:sub(-2))

endTime = hour * 60 + minute
luup.variable_set("Tim","ETime",endTime ,52)

local currentTime = os.date("*t")
currentTime = currentTime.hour * 60 + currentTime.min
luup.variable_set("Tim","CTime",currentTime,52)

luup.log("startTime = " .. startTime .. "; currentTime = " .. currentTime .. "; endTime = " ..

endTime)

if startTime <= endTime then
    -- Both the start time and the end time are in the same day:
    -- if the current time is in the given interval, run the scene.
    if startTime <= currentTime and currentTime <= endTime then
        luup.variable_set("Tim","Between?","Yes",52)
        return true
    end
else
    -- The start time is before midnight, and the end time is after midnight:
    -- if the current time is not outside the given interval, run the scene.
    if not (endTime < currentTime and currentTime < startTime) then
        luup.variable_set("Tim","Between?","Yes",52)
        return true
    end
end
luup.variable_set("Tim","Between?","No",52)
return false

I recommend you paste the code first into notepad for editing and saving.
Replace the ID number "52" with your ID number to the device holding the new Variables
If you have my program with variable watch run it now.....select your device and the new variables will pop up.
Four more will be created automatically "STime", "ETime", "CTime", and "Between?"
These variables represent Start Time, End Time, Current Time, and is it between those times.
If you are not running my program it will work under the Vera UI but its slower because the UI does NOT update its variables until a complete refresh is done on the UI. ( that means hit the refresh button at the top right and press save)
Using the advanced tab you can change the variables in your program....the 10:00 and 11:00 are your start and stop times so play with it.....if you are running my program you can see the current MIOS time with each update every two seconds. Try changing  the times to the next minute and watch your variables update.
This is an example of an event that runs from time A to B and knows what to do do if they are on different days (after midnight)
The variable "Between?" is very important because it can be used in other Luup codes with very simple:
local BetweenTime = luup.variable_get("Tim","Between?",52) (use your ID of course.)
If BetweenTime = "Yes" then
turn up stereo to 100% and blow the neighbors away.....or whatever.

REMEMBER...that the scene only runs once a minute......so you must wait for the scene to execute in order to see the variables change. Be patient and have fun!

Is this starting to make sense?

Regards
Tim
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 10:02:04 am by TimAlls »

Offline Ap15e

• Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 05:32:46 pm »
@Guessed indicated to use a unique service ID so that it can't be changed by anything but user code...
Explain if you agree or disagree.....or did I misunderstand him?

IMHO, adding user-defined services/variables to preexisting Luup devices is a hack that might work - but are we really sure that adding user-defined services/variables to standard (upnp, micasaverde namespace) Luup devices doesn't break Vera clients (SQ Remote, iVera, ...)?

Do you want Vera clients to display your user-defined services/variables? If your answer is 'no', user-defined services/variables might be the way to go. If your answer is 'yes', you should use virtual Luup devices.

Offline TimAlls

Re: Why Create Variables? Example posted
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 05:37:32 pm »
I would like to know as well.....
MCV, if you are reading please advise. This method works great, but is it going to continue working and are there effects on the system by creating User Service ID's...
PLEASE ADVISE!
Regards
Tim

Is there an easier way? Ap15e
I keep asking but nobody has an answer.....We need variable watch!

Offline Ap15e

• Beta Testers
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 05:42:25 pm »
An additional point to note is that AFAIK there is no easy way to remove user-defined services/variables ...

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 05:51:26 pm »
[...]As a new user I would copy and paste this in my Luup and wonder why I am experiencing odd behavior.
What was the odd behavior you were experiencing, and how did 'variable watch' help in solving it?

How would you ever pick out the errors unless you can see the results of math[...]
Looks like the result of the math is logged to the log file?
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 05:51:32 pm »
An additional point to note is that AFAIK there is no easy way to remove user-defined services/variables ...
I noticed that too!
On the plus side.....Vera creates the user variables when they are placed in Luup code.....so it would seem that they are saying ok....go for it! I still want to hear from them to make sure...
Just tested the SQRemote and no ill effects.
I know how they derive their device list so I wasn't too worried about that one, but I don't know about others.

By the way....I would have used virtual devices but to my knowledge they only exist for the binary switch.

So I am putting it out there....who has a better way to create variables that can be EASILY monitored? This IMHO is very very important. (example posted)

Regards
Tim

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 06:00:20 pm »
[...]As a new user I would copy and paste this in my Luup and wonder why I am experiencing odd behavior.
What was the odd behavior you were experiencing, and how did 'variable watch' help in solving it?

How would you ever pick out the errors unless you can see the results of math[...]
Looks like the result of the math is logged to the log file?

Yes it is logged as well.....not everyone can run my variable watch program, just do the math....Hours*100 + minutes = total minutes?
The math is faulty and so the results are unpredictable.

I understand that one can simply look at the log files but most Newbies are overwhelmed by the code and never make it to the log files.

I was able to debug it by adding variables after every calculation and then watching the results....that is how it helps.

Regards
Tim

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 06:10:34 pm »
Do you want Vera clients to display your user-defined services/variables? If your answer is 'no', user-defined services/variables might be the way to go. If your answer is 'yes', you should use virtual Luup devices.
You misunderstand my intentions.....this isn't for me or my programs, it is to help the user's write code. The same with the upcoming code generator. Many of us look at the code as Chinese.....and because of that not even try to write code. I am just trying to improve what Newbies can do and hopefully inspire them to go further with what is possible.
Keep it mind that this is not my expertise.....so I will listen to the experts here tell me....."don't do that!"
I will drive you crazy asking why not though!

Regards
Tim