We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Leviton Vizia + Wiring  (Read 5844 times)

Offline dmdrums

Leviton Vizia + Wiring
« on: May 23, 2011, 02:14:54 am »
Hello-

I have a Leviton Vizia + (VPT24-1PZ) and a remote switch (VP0SR-10X) but I am having problems getting this to work.  This house just finished construction, so it should be up to current code standards.

For the main timer switch, I am replacing an existing "normal" 3-way switch.  I have a black (common/hot), white (neutral), red wire (goes to other 3-way), and bare copper (ground).

However, the Leviton has 5 wires.

For now, I wired as follows (screen lights up and I can hear relay "click" when pressing switch, but light will NOT come on)

Current setup:
Black from switch goes to black (common) wire.

White from timer goes to the the bundle of white neutral wires inside the junction box (another forum suggested this)
Bare ground goes to green wire on timer.
Red from timer goes to the red for my 3-way.
Yellow from timer goes to the white wire originally connected to the normal 3-way switch.
I tried reversing the yellow and red wires, but that didn't help either.

On the other end (remote), I have just 3 wires connected (as per the Leviton manual that comes with the digital timer)
Red wire from normal 3-way switch now feeds the yellow terminal.
White terminal uses the white from original 3-way switch.
Bare ground is connected to ground terminal.

Does anyone have a clue why this doesn't work?  I was having trouble figuring out how to wire this because it needs 5 wires and my original 3-way switch used only 4.  Another forum suggested the use of the neutral bundle for one of the feeds, giving me the 5th connection, but it just doesn't work right now.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

dmdrums

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
Re: Leviton Vizia + Wiring
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 09:07:09 am »
@dmdrums,

It's always best to draw a diagram representing your current situation and identify both switches, the wiring between them, as well as the incoming power and the wiring to the load (i.e. the light).

Once you have that, it should be relatively straightforward to convert that for use with digital switches.

The '5th' wire is because the switch needs a neutral; which is not required with mechanical switches.

In your description you did not mention incoming power, or where the light is. You may have disconnected the light. There's probably a black wire with the original 3-way switch, that you didn't describe. Don't go by color though, but by how things are connected currently.

Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline ballroller

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 11:24:52 am »
Also, on a 3 way, the master has to be at the primary point where the power arrives. At least, that's what my electrician told me...

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 12:12:42 pm »
Also, on a 3 way, the master has to be at the primary point where the power arrives.
In general I'd say only if the load is also in that box.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline dmdrums

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 02:05:00 am »
Thanks for all the replies!

I wanted to let you all know that I figured out the problem.

On the "remote" side, the new switch does not use the black wire.  I realized that leaving this disconnected was actually leaving the wire to the light disconnected.

I grabbed the black on the 3-wire feed and tied it to the black that goes to the light.  Problem solved.

It was a bit confusing because the remote is in a junction box that has TONS of other switches, but I figured it out.

Thanks for your efforts! 

dmdrums