We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Virtual Device: AWAY  (Read 14667 times)

Offline JOD

Re: Virtual Device: AWAY
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 03:35:38 pm »
Do you want to try the files in 0.1?

I'm quite sure this was the latest working version. If they dont work, I will remove the attachment so others dont get stuck using them.
See attached,

JOD.
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

Offline rogerl

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 04:57:45 pm »
That worked perfectly. Thanks so much.

BTW, I already had a BinaryLight1.json file on my Vera...the one you sent must have been different/newer. In any case, things appear to be working, so I can get on with what I really wanted this for...

Roger

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 12:21:43 pm »
Note that the Luup plugins and Luup code repository should have the correct references.

(The first link there for the Virtual StateDevice, currently [298], points to the known-good up-to-date set.)
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline rlmalisz

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 05:56:00 pm »
Note that the Luup plugins and Luup code repository should have the correct references.

(The first link there for the Virtual StateDevice, currently [298], points to the known-good up-to-date set.)

So count me as among those who are bumfoozled by this one.  I have installed the D and I files from the zip.   I have restarted the LUUP engine many time.  Clicking on the GUI buttons for the virtual device doesn't seem to change the value of the device's Status variable, just changes the GUI widget--that is, the widget reflects the expected on/off value, but the Status variable doesn't track.  Apparently, buried somewhere in all the threads about this, there's a hint that you can't affect the Status this way--you have to use scenes.  I have set up scenes that turn this device on and off--is what I need to be doing having the scenes directly set the value of the device's Status variable?

If so, is there a reason why this "switch" can't work more like a switch and less like a radio-controlled airplane?

--Richard

Edit: NEVER MIND!  The switch works fine, it's UI4 that is not showing updated state.  I have this working to my satisfaction. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 08:34:14 pm by rlmalisz »

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 09:54:07 am »
Edit: NEVER MIND!  The switch works fine, it's UI4 that is not showing updated state.  [...] 
Correct (as you already worked out with @mcvflorin). I believe a browser refresh will get you the current values.

Offline grybrd

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 03:48:12 pm »
@oTi ... would like to change my out of  date soft flags with Virtual devices .... tried the above link but the code reference is blank ... I am running 1350.   

Thanks for all the help you provide the forum members.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 04:00:43 pm »
@grybrd,

You can grab the attachment from @JOD's post (up above), I believe.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 04:02:48 pm by oTi@ »

Offline Dnpwwo

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 01:58:31 am »
tripletdad,

I wanted a virtual state device as well but didn't like the On and Off buttons in the UI so created my own not based on a Binary device.

I created a house state device with Home, Away, Asleep & Vacation states where the proper state names are used in the dashboard, the device popup dialog and scenes. Seemed to work with the testing I've done.

If you don't like the state names, global search and replace will be your friend  ;)

I'm new to Vera plugin development so any feedback anyone has (including bugs) would appreciated.

Kudos to the other plugin devs (esp. futzle) whose plugin code I shamelessly plundered to make mine work
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 03:43:25 am by Dnpwwo »

Offline intveltr

• Beta Testers
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 09:48:14 pm »
I played around with the Multistate device for a bit...  Very nice, and no bugs so far.  It beats having several virtual switches, which is what I use now: one for home/away, and one for vacation. The only drawback I can see so far is that this type of devices does not seem to be supported by iVera or SQremote.
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline Dnpwwo

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 12:09:28 am »
Yeah, its a bit disappointing that some of the apps out there don't support generic devices because it really limits the creativity of the developer community :( (hint, hint, iVera developers!)

I use Automator.app for remote access from iPad/iPhone and that supports generic devices very well.  I also prefer the look and feel (esp. on the iPad) and its ability to switch between local wifi network and 3G network.

The MultiState device works about 95% with Automator, for some reason the 'Vacation' button is missing when I click on the device in the dashboard, but everything is present when I pop up the detail dialog (like clicking on the 'wrench' in UI4). I'm going to report to the developer.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2011, 05:13:35 am »
[...] a bit disappointing that some of the apps out there don't support generic devices [...] (hint, hint, iVera developers!)
One reason may be that there is a performance penalty in generating, transferring and processing the extra information. (For example, iVera loads faster than automator.app.)

Offline Dnpwwo

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 09:59:06 pm »
I haven't noticed Automator being slow but haven't done a comparision either so I can't comment either way.

I will say that I don't really anticipate using the device directly very often tho.  It just holds state, I expect the scences that trigger off house events (alarm off, door unlocked etc) to update the state so the iVera restriction may not be a big deal.

I didn't see an appropriate existing interface to base it on that would show up in iVera, open to suggestions if anyone has any.

Offline navet42

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 09:30:47 pm »
tripletdad,

I wanted a virtual state device as well but didn't like the On and Off buttons in the UI so created my own not based on a Binary device.

I created a house state device with Home, Away, Asleep & Vacation states where the proper state names are used in the dashboard, the device popup dialog and scenes. Seemed to work with the testing I've done.

If you don't like the state names, global search and replace will be your friend  ;)

I'm new to Vera plugin development so any feedback anyone has (including bugs) would appreciated.

Kudos to the other plugin devs (esp. futzle) whose plugin code I shamelessly plundered to make mine work

Long shot, but do you have a newer version of multistate for this please? I am running UI5, and it isnt displaying correctly on the dashboard. (no buttons showing)

Offline chixxi

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2013, 12:57:57 am »
Long shot, but do you have a newer version of multistate for this please? I am running UI5, and it isnt displaying correctly on the dashboard. (no buttons showing)

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,14453.0.html
Developer of Plugins: Virtual Switch, Variable Container, Popcorn Hour Remote, Vacation Ghost. => PLUGINS HAVE BEEN UNPUBLISHED BY ME.

Offline Dnpwwo

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2013, 08:13:44 am »
Sorry navet42, I've given up on Vera due to lack of vendor updates and bug fixes  >:(.  I never went to UI5.

Since the Raspberry Pi came out there are open source offerings with strong community support being actively developed which makes them far less frustrating.

Apologies.