We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Leviton Serial / Zwave adapter plugin  (Read 4292 times)

Offline TimAlls

Leviton Serial / Zwave adapter plugin
« on: June 13, 2012, 07:21:17 pm »
I am considering using a Leviton Zwave Serial Adapter to extend the Vera to areas that are out of range. The adapter uses simple serial commands to communicate so the plugin would be pretty easy. This seems easier and cheaper than adding another Vera!?
I was hoping to look at the Emulator Plugin by Javier for ideas but it was never released....
Is that correct? Any old timers know the story?
Regards
Tim Alls

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
Re: Leviton Serial / Zwave adapter plugin
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 07:51:13 pm »
It has a space on code.mios.com, but they never filled in the code there.  It is uploaded to the apps.mios.com (UI5) store, it's #158 over there.

The Emulator was kinda the reverse plugin.  It made the Vera look like a RZC0P, so that anything that used to connect to one of those would be able to use Vera instead.

Anyhow, you could install it from there and see what you get...

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 12:55:04 am »
Thanks @Guessed.
I know it is the reverse application but I figured I could learn from it!
I am still on UI4....please don't make me use UI5 ;)
How can I get the code without installing it? Sorry if that's a dumb question....I'm confused! ;D

Regards
Tim

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 01:06:19 am »
Hey Tim,
I installed it into my UI5 rig, and tar'd it up.  You should have it in email...  Good luck!

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 07:51:10 am »
Played with the plug-in a while ago, on Vera 2 / UI4. IIRC, it implements a subset of the commands of a real VRC0P, so you can interface with Vera through the same commands you might be used to for the VRC0P.

@TimAlls,
What would drive the VRC0P in your application?
Would the plug-in import the VRC0P's network into Vera and translate between APIs?
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 10:13:52 am »
Played with the plug-in a while ago, on Vera 2 / UI4. IIRC, it implements a subset of the commands of a real VRC0P, so you can interface with Vera through the same commands you might be used to for the VRC0P.

@TimAlls,
Would the plug-in import the VRC0P's network into Vera and translate between APIs?
In my case I have 14 dimmers in an are that is outside my Zwave network range. My goal is to run a serial cable to that area and install the Leviton Module in the remote location. The plugin needs to allow control of the dimmers, poll the dimmers, and report back to the Vera current dimming levels. I had a simple plugin in mind that created a child for each additional dimmer. Like the DSC Alarm plugin just enter the number of dimmers and let the child windows appear....let the plugin assign sequential ID numbers but let the user modify the ID and give the dimmers names. Well ....something like that!
Regards
Tim Alls

Offline rlmalisz

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 01:41:39 pm »

@TimAlls,
In my case I have 14 dimmers in an are that is outside my Zwave network range. My goal is to run a serial cable to that area and install the Leviton Module in the remote location. The plugin needs to allow control of the dimmers, poll the dimmers, and report back to the Vera current dimming levels. I had a simple plugin in mind that created a child for each additional dimmer. Like the DSC Alarm plugin just enter the number of dimmers and let the child windows appear....let the plugin assign sequential ID numbers but let the user modify the ID and give the dimmers names. Well ....something like that!
Regards
Tim Alls

Depending on how much hard material is in between your proposed cable endpoints, you might consider using an Aircable pair.  I'm driving some Rain8 serial irrigation controllers in spots where I couldn't easily run wires to.  I may yet run hard-wire, but so far, so good.  The Serial 5X claims 500ft with the larger antenna.  The industrial XR claims 10km (I'm sure that's open-air line of sight, guaranteed not to exceed...).

http://www.aircable.net/products/

--Richard

Offline mcvflorin

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 06:26:36 am »
I made the SVN of the Leviton Vizia RF+ emulator public on code.mios.com. The original version as left by Javier is in tags/Javier Guerra.