Author Topic: Z-Wave Sprinkler Controller... Does such a thing exist?  (Read 27587 times)

daragh

Z-Wave Sprinkler Controller... Does such a thing exist?
« on: May 31, 2011, 06:59:31 pm »
Anybody know of an existing z-wave sprinkler controller? I am on a well and its capacity has dropped since we put in a screen last year to reduce sediment getting to the submerged pump. I have a pretty big yard with 12 zones in total. It takes about 2-3 hours to run a full cycle, there are already 24V AC valves in place and I doent want to replace these valves I just want the ability to program or manually turn them on/off remotely via my z-wave network. The problem is I need to give the well a chance to refill after every 3 zones or so to ensure sufficient pressure to heads. I'd like to be able to individually control each zone independently.  If such a controller doesn't exist are there any 24V AC relays that are z-wave controllable? I could build a box that houses 12 of them and supply 24V AC to them. This would be an expensive option but I really want to get the sprinkler system under z-wave control so I can program and control the system remotely. I'm new to the z-wave world so please excuse my ignorance if there is an existing simple solution but I've searched the web and cant find anything that is z-wave compliant.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Daragh.

oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
Re: Z-Wave Sprinkler Controller... Does such a thing exist?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 07:07:06 pm »
Anybody know of an existing z-wave sprinkler controller?
Not Z-Wave, but controlled via Vera, that might be what you're looking for: check this page and search for Etherrain. There's links to the relevant forum thread and the plug-in code there. Courtesy of @325xi.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 07:11:38 pm by oTi@ »

daragh

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 07:28:40 pm »
The Etherrain looks good but I really want a stand alone control system that doesn't require a computer to be always on. I'd prefer it is controlled from my vera 2 via z-wave only and that I can generate the on/off control on each zone separately with or without a timer and/or  scenes to setup and run different cycles. Most importantly for me I need to be able to put in a programmable delay between one zone turning off and the next turning on.

Thanks,

Daragh.

shady

• Beta Testers
  • This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 11:14:08 pm »
I love the EtherRain, but it is Ethernet connected and if Vera isn't controlling it then  it would need web access to http://www.lawncheck.com/ for scheduling.

If you want a Z-Wave solution, I think you'd have to use appliance modules connected to some 110VAC relays that would switch the 24VDC (provided by a wall transformer), you'd need one set for each valve and could house everything in a weatherproof enclosure.
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

zmistro

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 10:10:02 am »
Its about time someone comes out with a multi command multi relay board. There was some in dev a few years ago but have not heard anything since.

325xi

• Global Moderator
  • V1, V2, still V2...
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 05:59:47 pm »
The Etherrain looks good but I really want a stand alone control system that doesn't require a computer to be always on. I'd prefer it is controlled from my vera 2 via z-wave only and that I can generate the on/off control on each zone separately with or without a timer and/or  scenes to setup and run different cycles. Most importantly for me I need to be able to put in a programmable delay between one zone turning off and the next turning on.

Thanks,

Daragh.

Etherrain is as standalone as it can be.
No computer is involved, and Vera isn't really controlling it.
All it does is sending a command describing cycle you'd like to run.
Once done, you can switch everything off, including network, and Etherrain will do its job autonomously.

jackpot

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 07:52:01 pm »
Anyone have any experience  with "Irrigation Caddy" http://www.irrigationcaddy.com/products.html ?

I understand that "Ether Rain" does have a plugin for it witch is great! But just wanted to check for some other irrigation type web controllers that might also be good.
Thanks
Vera 3....1.5.622

txautomator

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 08:15:08 am »
I would be interested in a plugin for the IrrigationCaddy as well. I am wondering if it will be as easy as taking the EtherRain plugin and changing to work with IrrigationCaddy.
Any one interested in making this device work? I have some programming background, but very new to Vera

radarengineer

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 11:47:50 am »
I think it wouldn't be quite that simple, as it seems like the etherrain has a defined API and the irrigationcaddy just mentions control via the built in webpages.

However, the irrigationcaddy has a 'run now' command so you could probably perform scheduling with that.

djrobx

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 02:28:25 pm »
EtherRain works very well.    We do most of our scheduling with LawnCheck but have Vera do individual valve control for when we're adjusting our heads. 

We could have Vera run the schedule too, but LawnCheck is free and just seems more pracitcal for that task.  It has things like weather and temperature based scheduling built in.  To do that with Vera would require a luup script and a weather plugin.   

txautomator

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 10:30:12 pm »
I have finally figured out how to use socket.http to POST to the IrrigationCaddy. I am using FireBug to gather the commands in use by IrrigationCaddy. They appear to be very straightforward so far.

Turn System ON:  "http://192.168.xxx.xxx/runSprinklers.htm",'run=run'
Turn System OFF: "http://192.168.xxx.xxx/runSprinklers.htm",'stop=off'

Scheduling commands are for the programs and are posted to index.htm. e.g. RUN NOW is Program #4, with zone 5 set to 5 mins:
"http://192.168.xxx.xxx/Index.htm", "pgmNum=4&doProgram=1&runNow=1&z1durHr=0&z1durMin=0&z2durHr=0&z2durMin=0&z3durHr=0&z3durMin=0&z4durHr=0&z4durMin=0&z5durHr=0&z5durMin=5&z6durHr=0&z6durMin=0&z7durHr=0&z7durMin=0&z8durHr=0&z8durMin=0&z9durHr=0&z9durMin=0&z10durHr=0&z10durMin=0"

I am assuming I can create a device and incorporate HTTP POSTS commands to schedule and retrieve statuses. Does anyone have a recommendation on the Device implementation that I should start with? i.e. will the above fit well with an EtherRain device code as a starting point?

intveltr

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 12:08:42 pm »
You might want to take a look at the Fibaro switches (http://www.fibaro.com/eng/index.php?ID=instalacja). These are single or dual relay units, with the nice feature of having the relay outputs electrically isolated from the 220v live/neutral.  I plan to use these switches to control the 24v solenoid valves in my irrigation system, as well as the 220v well pump and 12v outdoor lights.
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

davem2421

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 09:26:55 am »
Take a look at this as well.

I think this would work for your needs, has manual control at the switch and you can do all the programing thru Vera so the computer doesn't have to be on all the time.

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Intermatic-CA3750-Z-Wave-Contactor-Module-P407.aspx

I just installed one of these on my Hot Water heater and works like a champ

Brientim

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 12:05:28 pm »
I have the EtherRain and now with UI5 and the Aeon Minimote, it can be easily controlled for each zone. I created a scene for the zones and allocated them to the Minimote. This way, I can turn them on without have to log on to the Vera.  With the Minimote, you can it is a scene controller in UI5 see http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,8630.0.html

intveltr

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 12:55:27 pm »
I wanted an irrigation controller to replace the old "mystery box" (the first pic) crammed with relays, timers and wires, installed by one of the previous homeowners.  It should be Z-wave controllable of course, but also with the ability to control stuff locally via pushbuttons, and with LED indicators.  It controls 220v lights and pumps, 12v lights, and 24v valves.

This is what I built out of 4 Fibaro switches and some elbow grease :)  (The capacitors and diodes on the PCB are to drive the LEDs directly off 220v/24v AC)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:03:12 pm by intveltr »
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.