We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Lighting Control Questions  (Read 8666 times)

Offline mitch672

Re: Lighting Control Questions
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 05:47:42 pm »
3G wireless hotspot or similar. This effectively gives you the same type of connection that the 2gig stuff uses.

There are many routers now also with a way of utilizing a cell based USB radio device for connectivity. Its possible to perhaps even hack Vera to do this. There are some threads about this I think IIRC.

Thats going to cost at least as much as either an internet connection or the alarm.com monthly charge per month.  TANSTAAFL (There Ain'nt No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

The 4G provider out here (Clear) is horrible, spotty coverage, and not in the town the house is in yet.  Verizon is at least $50/month for a 4GB plan, as far as I have seen, there are no "unlimited" 4G plans, AT&T has not yet deployed their 4G offerings.

I do have to say, that the 2-gig wireless sensors use the same RF frequency as the Honeywell/Ademco equipment, so perhaps  using a Vista 20p might be a better idea :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:11:19 pm by mitch672 »

Offline westguard

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 06:38:02 pm »
I'm using the DSC plug-in for iVera with a DSC alarm system and IT-100 board and it works really well. Once it was all set-up it is very stable. Just make sure you use the downloadable version of the plug-in and not the one in the MarketPlace (at least that was the recommendation when I set mine up).

I have all of my motion sensors around the house, plus smoke sensors and door sensors available in iVera as devices. I use one of the motion sensors to turn on lights for 10 minutes at night when we enter the laundry area. I can also set the alarm from a scene controller switch in the house as well as turning on security lights when we leave the house and set the alarm etc.

Offline Cherokee180c

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 12:42:54 pm »
Thanks Wesguard.  I am hoping DSC will announce some new products soon that might meet my need, as getting off the POTS lines is one of my main requirements.

I am wondering if anyone has actually set up the 2gig unit as a secondary controller for the Zwave control portion and has it working in that configuration.  I may call tech service again and try to verify if that will work.  Part of the issue is that the new LCD screen requires a new 900mHZ radio be installed in the main controller.  Also it is impractical for me to buy the bundle unit with half the things I don't need and then add the stuff I do.  I think they will come out with a bundle with the external pad.  I am thinking to use Vera2 for all the automation and hopefully just provide some connectivity to initiate some things through the 2gig unit if possible.

Offline mitch672

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 02:04:39 pm »
as Strangley has pointed out, the 2-gig's sensors cannot be used to trigger any Zwave events, and will not be readable from Vera.  The only thing you will be able to do with the 2-gig is make it a secondary controller, so it will have all of your devices availble, then on alarm events only, you will be able to turn lights/applicances on/off, thats about it.  by events these are things such as "armed", "disarmed", or "in alarm".  I own the 2-gig panel and have gone through the installation/user documentation on theZ-wave section thoroughly.

the Honeywell/Ademco solution/plugin will actually get you to be able to use all of the sensors on the alarm as triggers, using the "AD2USB" interface and plugin...

http://www.nutech.com/online-store/35.html

the good thing about Honeywell/Ademco is, they use the same RF sensors as the 2-Gig (345Mhz, called "58XX" series in the Ademco world), so you could use all of the 2-gig sensors on a Vista 15p/20p for example, as long as you get the RF interface for it, or the 6150RF keypad (which has the RF receiver built into the keypad)

I am now seeing the point of wanting to use the alarms sensors as trigger events in Vera.  lights dawns on marblehead :-)

Mitch
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 03:41:43 pm by mitch672 »

Offline JimMac

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 03:40:00 pm »
Up until a year ago my summer house and rentals did not have an Internet connection because no service existed.  Even 3G was spotty.  I invested in an external antenna and 3 watt power booster connected to a Sony / Ericson 3G router and now I run everything from this connection including my Vonage Voip phone.  It does a great job as long as you keep within your bandwidth each month.  I have a DSC panel connected to Vera and have since programmed Vera to trigger on most of the alarm sensors (doors and motion).  As of now if we are home @ night and we walk through the house Vera will turn on lights @ 25% as we go, freaks most of our guests out.  Opening most doors will turn on the closest light for a few minutes.  If we are not at home each alarm sensor will trigger an alarm in Vera as well as the alarm panel but Vera will notify me what sensor triggered while the panel will call my cell and give a series of tones representing the zone.  The marriage of the DSC panel and Vera is fantastic.

Offline shenders1

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 08:07:54 pm »
Jim Mac, that sounds great. I am too dumb to do that.

Offline csayers

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 12:59:35 am »
As in another post of mine,  it is not true that 2gig sensors cannot control vera zwave devices.  I have not done this yet but I do have the 2 gig as secondary to vera.  There is a place on the 2gig for scenes and rules.  You can all make a rule on alarm.com that says if sensor door open on the 2gig will trigger the turn on lights on the zwave network.

Sooo it is possible to send zwave events based on 2gig sensors in a round about way.